• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For all of You Train Lovers

Keeping the track switches from freezing - here's how Chicago's Metra Commuter does it...with gas grills.
chicago-metra.jpg

These old steamers are very cool .I have never seen one in real life but would love too.
Notice everyone busy inside doing something .
I would shovel the coal for a ride in those bad boys .

These old steamers are very cool .I have never seen one in real life but would love too.
Notice everyone busy inside doing something .
I would shovel the coal for a ride in those bad boys .
Some of them didn't even need coal to be shoveled by hand, they used auto-stokers. And they weren't all coal burners, despite what you see in the movies. Places with few coal reserves, like Florida, would often use wood fired boilers. Others, like the CNR used oil burners to heat the boilers. I've seen an engine in Hawaii that originally burned sugarcane stalks, which were plentiful on the plantation it was used for. :)

Found an interior shot from one of those inspection cars-

inside inspection car sm.jpg

This one also has a dome on the roof.

Would love to take the rail trip across The Rockies in Canada In a train with the glass roof .
That's on our bucket list and will happen when we retire .

Auto Transport Service
Back