• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For all of You Train Lovers

have always liked the train shots in the winter

1590b451e5c92f03054811ac98970853--snow-plow-a-lion.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg

That last picture reminds me of this picture of our trip to Alaska a year and a half ago....

IMG_20170919_112943686_HDR.jpg

April 25, 1960 This was the last regularly scheduled steam train used by CN. Locomotive 6043 arriving in Winnipeg.
CN009308.jpg

CN passenger service with steam ended in 1959. This was the final engine used, it's now at the Roundhouse Museum at the base of the CN Tower. It was one of 35 units built in Montreal for use in WWII. It has its own Wiki page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_National_6213
939d7d7b-6529-49bf-b262-604168561c05.jpg

These old steamers are very cool .I have never seen one in real life but would love too.
Notice everyone busy inside doing something .
I would shovel the coal for a ride in those bad boys .
I remember as a kid growing up, there was a man, at that time was retired, down the street that worked on a Railroad as a fireman in his younger days. When it snowed here he would use a scoop shovel/coal shovel and throw the snow clean across the street (a two lane with one side with parking). A bad Engineer or just a smart *** one could make it bad for the Fireman if he the Engineer blew the coal out the stack.

Last edited:
Europe ran steam WAY late.

1957/58 was about it for the US.

In 1976 I won my cities American Freedom Train coloring contest (I was 8).

I got a cab ride into the station, a breakfast in the business car and a VIP tour.
Was even on the news. My hand was on the throttle of Reading 2101/AFT 1, under steam and I got to blow the whistle entering the station.

In about 2009, I ran into 2101 again at the B&O museum in Baltimore.
Had been damaged by fire and will never stem again, but is cosmetically restored as AFT 1.
I self posed a pic with her and posted it here shortly afterwards.

My mom is a picture hound but does not seem to have any from that event.
Perhaps some will turn up eventually. It would be great to have "now and then" pics.

Auto Transport Service
Back