• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For all of You Train Lovers

Wiki says UP had 88 of the 4-12-2 type.

That's a lot for an oddball design.

75dc61cf2232c04387e8571ffbfd0207.jpg

I grew up around trains but didn't appreciate it wheni was young. I guess I was to young to understand. My dad worked for the B&O then Chessie System and finally CSX before he retired.
When he was the superintendent at Grafton WV they still used steam in the yard as switchers, they had not yet fully converted to diesel. One day he took me to work and I got to ride with an engineer and fireman for what seemed like hours. I'll never forget the heat, sound and smells. He did that because he knew they would be gone soon.
Also, our everyday kitchenware was the blue plate stuff. It wasn't worth anything then and they let the employees have it. I have a few pieces left

Last edited:
The box on my chest is a remote control devise that allowed me to operate the locomotive from the fireman's seat and when on foot.

The remote box linked up with satellite for control.

Pain in the ***.... and dangerous.

This happened when our new contract replaced the yard engineers with a remote device... More responsibility and a 2 man crew only.

We were not allowed to sit in the engineers seat per union contract even going over RR crossings..

The horn and bell was on the remote device.

View attachment 1233873 View attachment 1233874
pulling propane tankers from MUST or (Michigan underground storage Tank) in Port Huron MI
View attachment 1233893 View attachment 1233896 View attachment 1233897
I remember using similar remotes to control the trackmobiles when switching the repair tracks.

Auto Transport Service
Back