• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For all of You Train Lovers

07503efb007aded1a2a704dfeec1fe68.jpg

589 and thereafter-

Winnans "camel".

Ross Winnans was an early pioneer of stem engine design.

Unfortunately that design didn't last. His employer (B&O) liked them and so did a few other roads.

Check out those 6 big drivers it had a lot of derailments due to when running it would bind in curves and could not take sharp curves without derailing.

Bad design......... but was a great helper engine.

Union Pacific developed the 9000 Class locomotive to improve speed and pulling power. The locomotive had a running speed of 50 miles per hour, compared to the 40-miles-per-hour standard of the day. It hauled freight primarily between Council Bluffs, Iowa, and Green River, Wyo., over Sherman Hill. The unusual 3-cylinder 4-12-2 had the longest rigid wheelbase of any U.S. steam locomotive. It was used only by UP, largely because the wheel arrangement could not negotiate tight curves on many other railroads. The 9000 Class was retired in 1955.
29.jpg

Last edited:
4-12-2 was an oddity for sure.

Anyone in the New England area who is interested in REAL model toy trains, just letting you know that the "railroad hobby show" is this coming weekend. It is at the Big E in Massachusetts, more information below.....
http://www.railroadhobbyshow.com/

Myself and my stepdad plan to be there on Sunday, hope to see you there!

Anyone in the New England area who is interested in REAL model toy trains, just letting you know that the "railroad hobby show" is this coming weekend. It is at the Big E in Massachusetts, more information below.....
http://www.railroadhobbyshow.com

Myself and my stepdad plan to be there on Sunday, hope to see you there!

I doubt there will be a show. Big Nor’easter coming this weekend.

Auto Transport Service
Back