• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For the Love for my Father, My 69 GTX Restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.
The GTX grille was restored by Totally Auto and they far exceeded my standards as always. Let me tell you Dave and Chaz(especially Chaz) went above and beyond for my project. So many stories and too many to list on my journey with them. Chaz brings a friendship and a home type feel when you deal with TA enough. The PR, customer service and quality are second to none..

The grille hardware kit that is repop is not even close the only usable item was the bezel screws! The picture showing the two nuts with captive washers one on the left is a repop and the one on the right is from TA's kit....What a difference! The kit from TA for the rods and washers is spot on...The last picture shows the original nut with captive washer.

The GTX emblem is the original one and TA polished and applied the black treatment....

IMG_0969.JPG
IMG_0970.JPG
IMG_0971.JPG
IMG_0972.JPG
IMG_0973.JPG
IMG_0974.JPG
IMG_0975.JPG
IMG_0976.JPG
IMG_0977.JPG
IMG_1009.JPG

Last edited:
The original trim was anodized by King of Trim. The original trim clips were cleaned up and the screws were plated. The plastic pieces go in one way with the raised center facing the grille. Those center fit in the round holes in the grille to align everything up.
IMG_0979.JPG
IMG_0980.JPG
IMG_0981.JPG
IMG_0982.JPG
IMG_0983.JPG
IMG_0984.JPG
IMG_0985.JPG
IMG_0986.JPG
IMG_0987.JPG
IMG_0988.JPG

Original hardware was plated and do not forget to install the bezel clips and the clips that go on the center support bracket...
IMG_0989.JPG
IMG_0990.JPG
IMG_0991.JPG
IMG_0992.JPG
IMG_0994.JPG

The original headlight bezels were restored by King of Trim. They anodized them and applied the satin black/textured argent(TA's paint)...
IMG_0997.JPG
IMG_0998.JPG
IMG_0999.JPG
IMG_1000.JPG
IMG_1001.JPG
IMG_1002.JPG
IMG_1003.JPG

Front end looks fantastic! I really need to check my headlight buckets because I paid zero attention to the colored stripe on the back lol.

Front end looks fantastic! I really need to check my headlight buckets because I paid zero attention to the colored stripe on the back lol.
There are some fine adjustments to do...I will deal with that later once it gets on the ground.

Thanks! The majority skip the stripes but judges with keen eyes and mirrors do not miss em....

moparnation, your attention to detail is off the chart! THIS is how you restore a car, a guide for anyone to follow. As I said before, my friend has the same year as you. He got his car in pieces and parts was in boxes so he's doing the task of putting it together and using your car as a guide. He asks me about your car as he is technology challenged. I keep telling him to join FBBO but oh well. I keep him updated. Thanks Justin!

moparnation, your attention to detail is off the chart! THIS is how you restore a car, a guide for anyone to follow. As I said before, my friend has the same year as you. He got his car in pieces and parts was in boxes so he's doing the task of putting it together and using your car as a guide. He asks me about your car as he is technology challenged. I keep telling him to join FBBO but oh well. I keep him updated. Thanks Justin!
Rod,

Thank you very much for the compliments!

Your friend is also welcome to call me anytime if he has any questions....However, sounds like he enjoys some guy time with his good friend talking cars as well.

He should join...tell him its like riding a bike for the first time...

Installed the NOS trunk weatherstrip. First thing I do is wipe the trunk lip down with wax and grease remover. Next, I dry fit the seal and hold it in place with tape, clamps and close line clips(lots). Once fitted I divide my work area in sections which on this car was five. So about a 3-4 foot section at a time. The adhesive I use is 3m's yellow trim adhesive. So I pull back the first section and lay a bead then to mimic the factory look I spread it out with a brush and get sloppy with it. On an OE job you should see areas of visible yellow adhesive on the paint. I allow it to set for a couple minutes and then install that section. Wait about ten minutes and then start on the next section. No need to rush it...I did not put any adhesive where the partial vin stamp is so it can be pulled back to see it.

The original gasket was off set to the right 5 1/2 inches from the trunk latch. So the NOS one went in the same spot.
DSC02413.JPG

IMG_1010.JPG
IMG_1011.JPG
IMG_1012.JPG
IMG_1013.JPG
IMG_1014.JPG
IMG_1015.JPG
IMG_1016.JPG
IMG_1017.JPG
IMG_1018.JPG

The original tail light harness was unusable mainly due to the covering and faded/painted wires. Never was able to acquire an NOS or a real nice original. So I had to make a new harness to look like the original. As you can see the sockets are completely different, the sending unit plug doe not have a pn/dpcd logo, the ground clamp is different. So I spent a lot of tedious time and transferred the old parts to the new including the plastic hold down clip. Applies the harness tag from ECS in the same spot as the original one....
IMG_1023.JPG
IMG_1024.JPG
IMG_1025.JPG
IMG_1026.JPG
IMG_1027.JPG
IMG_1028.JPG
IMG_1029.JPG
IMG_1030.JPG
IMG_1032.JPG

Installed and 2" wide paper tape was used on the sending unit wire
IMG_1033.JPG
IMG_1034.JPG