• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For the Love for my Father, My 69 GTX Restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally, acquired an NOS voltage regulator to replace that POS reproduction aftermarket junk....Big D A12, Darrin, Is working on the cover to get me one with the proper font, color, and date code. Once I get that cover I will repost this and show it on the car. Wish I paid $19.50 lol...
IMG_1045.JPG
IMG_1046.JPG
IMG_1047.JPG
IMG_1048.JPG

Spent a lot of time restoring the original body plugs. I first boiled them in water for about 2 minutes. I cleaned them using SEM vinyl prep and liberally applied "back to black" from Mothers to rejuvenate them. They turned out nice for being as old as they are. I will take pictures of them installed once I get the 2 plugs damaged replaced. Showing exactly where they were placed on the body.

I also compared a new set to the original and the new set is junk....They are bigger than the originals, no PN's, PN's in the wrong style/font etc.
IMG_1055.JPG
IMG_1057.JPG
IMG_1058.JPG
IMG_1059.JPG
IMG_1060.JPG
IMG_1061.JPG
IMG_1062.JPG

I love that you post a lot of pictures. I'm a visual guy my self and they help immensely!

Where is picture #2 on post 360 at?

Original jack was restored by Totally Auto. The date is 8 K for 68 November. This is the original jack and one of the three parts that had an only dated part. The wing nuts, rod hardware and rod were restored by TA as well. The hold bracket, base, and lug wrench I restored all are done in semi gloss. The bolt has the "H" head marking.
IMG_1065.JPG
IMG_1066.JPG
IMG_1067.JPG
IMG_1068.JPG
IMG_1069.JPG
IMG_1070.JPG
IMG_1071.JPG
IMG_1072.JPG

The rim is the original spare tire rim. It was the only rim that survived. At some point in the cars life the second owner put magnums on it and pitched the steel wheels. This car came coded for the steel wheels and dog dishes. The tires were originally Goodyear speedway pro's F70 14" white stripe. I also have the original spare tire with correct dates but the condition is poor. Apparently, it was rotated with the original tires.

The valve stems and caps came from Bill Rolik and they are the "dill" caps with the correct marking. Through time I was able to amass a lot of the original wheel weights of different sizes. Diligently cleaned them up without harming the markings. The key feature is the diamond shape with the manufacturer label "LH". These are hard to find these days and I do have some left over.....
IMG_1082.JPG
IMG_1083.JPG
IMG_1084.JPG
IMG_1085.JPG
IMG_1087.JPG

DSC03805.JPG
DSC03806.JPG

DSC03837.JPG
DSC03838.JPG

Special thanks to BIG D A12, Darrin for getting me the correct trunk mat and he also did the correct stampings for the pn and date. This mat is beautiful and perfectly done!

Before any one asks, NO the foam is not correct but is there for protection purposes. The ends are removable and the other is hidden once the spare tire is on.

IMG_1073.JPG
IMG_1074.JPG
IMG_1075.JPG
IMG_1076.JPG
IMG_1077.JPG
IMG_1078.JPG
IMG_1079.JPG

Showing what was left of the jack instruction(residue lol) and the line marking for the tire size and sidewall F70 W....

Placed the jack decal(ECS Decal) on and applied the F70 W via wax pencil but soon will be changed with the appropriate marker. This was a test run before I do the real deal....Which will not wipe off like the wax pencil, lol.....
DSC02419.JPG
DSC02420.JPG
DSC02421.JPG
DSC02422.JPG
IMG_1099.JPG
IMG_1100.JPG
IMG_1101.JPG

A quick question on front turn signal housings for the bumper. Were they painted or zinc plated?
Thanks!

A quick question on front turn signal housings for the bumper. Were they painted or zinc plated?
Thanks!
The housing was zinc plated. Then the socket was installed. After that the outer housing was painted with low luster black. The reflector area stayed zinc.

I am on vacation in Virginia at the moment but I have an nos set for the X. If you want I can send you pictures of one next week...

Hey J, looking good. Did you find the grease pens I sent over the other day? I will have the VR on the way soon.

D

Hey J, looking good. Did you find the grease pens I sent over the other day? I will have the VR on the way soon.

D
Thanks my friend.....The moment you sent me that link I ordered that kit from Amazon. Light years better than what I used above. I haven't had a chance to use them yet since I am out of town but will update when I do.

Thank you so much for sending me that link!

I lucked out today and acquired an NOS pair of exhaust tips! The correct ones that are welded inside the tube and has the weep holes!

Still on the hunt for the Q clamps!

Looking forward to the VR and will post pics of that when I get it from you!

Justin

Q clamps?
Tim

The Q clamps were used on the exhaust tips on B bodies and E bodies. Not all cars got them but most did. They are very rare to find and NOS ones are big stupid $$$...

The link below shows an actual NOS set with correct stampings. Aftermarket ones are available but they do not have the stampings. However, I do know someone that may be offering them with the correct stamps in the future but not definitive yet!

http://www.2040-parts.com/1970-mopa...ner-b-body-exhaust-tip-nos-q-clamps-i1045129/

An NOS set would probably bring almost double that price now...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back