• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For the Love for my Father, My 69 GTX Restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy buckets! Your right about stupid high. I do remember those when I replaced the exhaust on my first RR in 1980. I do remember the weep holes also. WHen I get mine done I think I'll plan a trip to come see your X & visit Patti.

Keep the pictures and work coming Justin!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup:

BACk.png

Vacation is officially over and back to reality and more X ****!

Vent window frames being assembled. The chrome was done by Pauls. Place a bead of the Loctite epoxy in the channel and make sure the frame sits in the pins on the chrome and clamp. I gave them a good 24hrs and they are rock solid. When I get to the glass install I will get into more detail on the setting tape, hardware, and seals.
IMG_1105.JPG
IMG_1106.JPG
IMG_1107.JPG
IMG_1108.JPG
IMG_1109.JPG
IMG_1110.JPG
IMG_1111.JPG
IMG_1112.JPG
IMG_1113.JPG
IMG_1114.JPG

Prior to me leaving out of town this beast showed up....Poor UPS guy, I hear him pull up and walked out and he said, "Man I am so glad you're here, they don't give us hand trucks and I have been dreading this package all day." So I helped him out with his last stop.

The trans is all rebuilt and in natural metal soaked with WD40. The shaft is prepped for the bearing btw....

Long story with this trans....Brewers initially said the main case was not rebuildable due to the damage in the thrust washer area bosses. There was no way I was going to hold on the case for an ornament and put another case on the trans. Special thanks to JAIME at Passion Performance. They were able to repair those areas, flycut them and grove for the thrust washers. They are the ONLY ones in the world that do this and it is not cheap but is worth it to save the case with the VIN on it!

Lots to do to the trans prior to install and will get into the details of that later
IMG_1125.JPG
IMG_1126.JPG
IMG_1127.JPG

Last edited:
Justin, when the Locktite dries on the vent window frames will you peen over the undamaged pins on the chrome piece or is the Loctite by itself good enough? I'm going to disassemble mine for chroming and have seen guys smash the locating pins since the original retaining pins get ground away upon disassembly...

Got my sail panels reinstalled...Yes, reinstalled....I spent a lot of time get the clip bracket in the right spots for my headliner guy to install. When I came in the garage he popped in the last side and I hear bang bang....I crapped my pants because when you do that forcefully you will create dimples in the cardboard and it will show on the headliner covering. So I ordered a new set covered by legendary and installed them properly....
IMG_1138.JPG
IMG_1139.JPG
IMG_1128.JPG
IMG_1129.JPG
IMG_1130.JPG

Justin, when the Locktite dries on the vent window frames will you peen over the undamaged pins on the chrome piece or is the Loctite by itself good enough? I'm going to disassemble mine for chroming and have seen guys smash the locating pins since the original retaining pins get ground away upon disassembly...
Chris

No need to peen the pins back down...That epoxy is the equivalent to concrete. I have done several sets this way and never had a failure. Furthermore, this is the same way Tony D recommends to install his new set...I leave the pins there so the frame lines up perfectly.

Also, once you get the top screw in and the rubber gasket in place it is well supported and the only stress area once installed is the glass channel. The glass channel is supported by the door frame...

Got the interior "tar" like sealer finished. This was discussed earlier in my thread with a lot of comparisons. The winner was the Black Jack Neoprene sealant available at Lowe's. Overall it took four tubes and a 1.5" brush. Stuff stinks but lays out beautifully. Once it dries I will apply black paint on top of to mimic the factory look. Originally, I thought some were unpainted but further research and the help of Darrin clarified that the sealer was applied prior to paint. I didn't pay that close attention while scraping my old sealer but I had a few pictures that showed Darrin was correct.
IMG_1131.JPG
IMG_1132.JPG
IMG_1133.JPG
IMG_1134.JPG
IMG_1135.JPG
IMG_1136.JPG
IMG_1137.JPG

Chris

No need to peen the pins back down...That epoxy is the equivalent to concrete. I have done several sets this way and never had a failure. Furthermore, this is the same way Tony D recommends to install his new set...I leave the pins there so the frame lines up perfectly.

Also, once you get the top screw in and the rubber gasket in place it is well supported and the only stress area once installed is the glass channel. The glass channel is supported by the door frame...

Thanks man, I'm glad to hear that. I would have a hard time taking a hammer and chisel to a freshly chromed part...no matter how good I tried to protect it...

Thanks man, I'm glad to hear that. I would have a hard time taking a hammer and chisel to a freshly chromed part...no matter how good I tried to protect it...
No kidding...When you lay a 1/4 inch thick bead and clamp it down(don't go crazy with the clamp tension, just enough) it will spread out completely through the "U" channel. So it will be epoxied on the sides and bottom. You may have to wipe some excess that squeezed out of with some thinner before you allow it to set overnight.

Hot dang that is looking good! I'm glad you were able to to have the transmission repaired.

Hot dang that is looking good! I'm glad you were able to to have the transmission repaired.
Yeah, I about had a heart attack when I got the first phone call.....Then I thought in this day and age there should be a way and fortunately the guys at Passion Performance have an outstanding machine shop.....

Even though Brewers and PP are competitors when it comes to areas like these one should offer an option versus using it as an ornament...In hindsight if I knew that in the beginning I would have just sent everything to Passion Performance.

Dont get me wrong with that aside Brewers and PP both do awesome work....

Had a few areas left to finish the interior seam sealer

Last pic is the sealer from Lowe's I used.
IMG_1143.JPG
IMG_1144.JPG
IMG_1145.JPG
IMG_1146.JPG
IMG_1147.JPG
IMG_1148.JPG

Got a couple more parts from an outstanding member here. BIGDA12, AKA Darrin. First pic is a more correct trunk mat than anyone else offers along with the correct stampings. I will save this for when I find my unicorn NOS gas tank to replace the one on the car now. The other pics is the correct voltage regulator cover and correct stampings. Darrin did not just stamp these on the basis of some norm but he did extensive research to determine the correct color, font, and date. I really want to personally thank him A LOT because I know he spent more time than one can imagine on these things and with the time factored he made pennies on the dollar. What a talent we have behind the scenes!
IMG_1140.JPG
IMG_1141.JPG
IMG_1142.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back