• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For the Love for my Father, My 69 GTX Restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.
So here is a comparison between the correct NOS VR versus the aftermarket one. SO many differences I would bore you with an explanation. The pictures speak for themselves. The NOS cover was replaced of course with the correct cover from Darrin.

If anyone wants the aftermarket on PM me and I will make you a heck of a deal.....
IMG_1149.JPG
IMG_1150.JPG
IMG_1151.JPG
IMG_1152.JPG
IMG_1153.JPG
IMG_1154.JPG
IMG_1155.JPG
IMG_1156.JPG
IMG_1157.JPG
IMG_1158.JPG

Gearing up to make the templates for the undercoating.........I will have to mimic the guys on the line spraying this....so I have a six pack ready for when I do, lol....It will be sloppy indeed!
IMG_1163.jpg

Did your rear harness come with that cover/sleeve? Or is it an extra item?

Decided to tackle the undercoating. The undercoat I used is from Frank Badalson comes in a gallon container. One gallon is more than enough to do a B body. In his directions was a couple suggestions that made the application easy and more factory like. To make my templates I had detailed pictures of my old undercoat and I taped it out on the car. Then transferred the tape to a cardboard box.

When doing a factory type spray bomb your mind has to change to a half Azz spray bomb....Like a guy whom spray bombed a car to sell on Craigslist, everything get overspray, lol. Gas tank gets hit, shock get hit, spring gets hit, bumper brackets gets hit and the list goes on. Trust me it is was difficult for me to spray these restored parts with undercoat.
IMG_1163.jpg
IMG_1164.JPG
IMG_1165.JPG
IMG_1166.JPG
IMG_1168.JPG
IMG_1169.JPG
IMG_1170.JPG
IMG_1172.JPG

On call this weekend so just tackling odds and ends.....After the STINKY tar like sealer dried I applied the black paint on top if it today.
IMG_1183.JPG
IMG_1184.JPG
IMG_1185.JPG
IMG_1186.JPG
IMG_1187.JPG

Your undercoating didn't look very thick like I am used to seeing. The rear splash shield screws usually get covered where you have to scrape 1/4 thick undercoating off to unscrew them. The factory used some real heavy stuff for sound deadening and rock guard. The stuff I sprayed on new cars at the dealership was nothing like the factory stuff.

Your undercoating didn't look very thick like I am used to seeing. The rear splash shield screws usually get covered where you have to scrape 1/4 thick undercoating off to unscrew them. The factory used some real heavy stuff for sound deadening and rock guard. The stuff I sprayed on new cars at the dealership was nothing like the factory stuff.
I had no intent to spray it on as thick as the factory did. It was sprayed to cover the areas like the factory did versus thickness, globs, sags ect.....I am not a fan of undercoat period and just a few cars I have used it on and others I let the nicely restored parts show.....Actually, I am shocked at myself I used it on this one....for awhile there in the garage I was second guessing that....

The look aka texture, sheen and the proper areas covered/splattered is all that mattered to me....I cannot knock Franks stuff....

If a judge is unhappy, well, that is their problem, lol.....Frankly, I like the way it turned out....just thick enough to cover and a good texture/sheen against the black...

Just for sake of what most are doing or have done in relation to undercoat...

Here are two pics from one of the NICEST examples of a beautifully restored 69 Daytona. I would say the most correct Daytona around in my books. Owned by a gent named Gene and restored completely by the well known Vance Cummings....Same thickness as mine but of course not as sloppy/thick as factory.
Z4026.jpg
Z4917.jpg

DSC02629.JPG

DSC02627.JPG
DSC02573.JPG

Here are a couple pics of the undercoat prior to removal....Not a major difference...

I am guessing maybe cars that had full undercoating package with the floors maybe got it laid on thicker.

Wow, I have been catching up on the last 4 or 5 weeks of the build. Simply amazing restoration your doing. I really appreciate what you and other do EOM and NOS wise on restoring some of these old Mopars. I wouldn't have the patience for it. Congrats and looking forward to seeing more progress.

I am guessing maybe cars that had full undercoating package with the floors maybe got it laid on thicker.

I've seen cars, that have had "full undercoating package" with no real criteria as to how thick, etc, etc, etc.

Hard to say I have seen no consistency through the years....Multiple plants and human error.....This is why areas like these are judged on being done or not....

Wow, I have been catching up on the last 4 or 5 weeks of the build. Simply amazing restoration your doing. I really appreciate what you and other do EOM and NOS wise on restoring some of these old Mopars. I wouldn't have the patience for it. Congrats and looking forward to seeing more progress.
RD

Thanks for the kind words :thumbsup:

There are days where I have to decompress, lol.....My wife just shakes her head and has no comment....

Justin

Factory markings documented....There were a few more but were so faint the camera couldn't focus well enough to show them.
DSC03618.JPG
DSC03619.JPG
DSC03620.JPG
DSC03621.JPG
DSC03622.JPG
DSC03623.JPG
DSC03624.JPG
DSC03627.JPG
DSC03629.JPG
DSC03630.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.