• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For the Love for my Father, My 69 GTX Restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do not forget to install your seat belts bolts in the carpet are...it makes life a tad bit easier locating the holes...

IMG_0712.JPG

So with the headlight toggle in place and the seat belt bolts installed....Now it is time to start installing....Simply lay the rear portion in place and see how everything fits. I base everything off how it was moulded. Then I start from the center on one side to the rocker. First item was make an X cut over the tunnel seat belt bolt and I make a tight cut. Tight because that is my holder overall, so nothing moves out of place. Then I take the steamer and work from the tunnel out to the rocker. After that was done I still had a few problem areas that I had to use carpet adhesive on....I had no option. When you get to the rocker area take two pieces of tape and center where the rear sill plate screws go, make life easier....

Be very careful when you trim at the rocker area and take your time....Too short here is a major boo boo. I fold my edge over to allow the sill plate to lock it down.....

Then I repeat the same process on the other side....

IMG_0713.JPG
IMG_0714.JPG
IMG_0715.JPG
IMG_0716.JPG
IMG_0717.JPG
IMG_0718.JPG
IMG_0719.JPG
IMG_0720.JPG
IMG_0721.JPG
IMG_0722.JPG

IMG_0723.JPG

IMG_0724.JPG
IMG_0725.JPG

Very important step to note is the first pics above....nice finish touch to trim it that way....

On to the front portion.....Hardest areas on the front are trimming at the firewall, throttle bracket, gas pedal and the toggle switch....areas of no return if a mistake happens....

When it comes to a four speed car I center the carpet by two things. The easiest one is the hump moulded portion and the second is the gas pedal holes. The gas pedal attached to the upper right corner of the hell pad originally on all cars. You will see A LOT of cars done incorrectly by mounting it above the heel pad. Most people think the carpet has to over lap the rear by 6 inches or more and the seam to run across the middle of the front seats.....and when they move the carpet in the proper location the over lap is about 2 inches.....and they question themselves and search the internet and find the majority installing the pedal above the pad.....

So once centered then I start with the console brackets. Then I move to the 4 speed hump and attach the NOS lower shifter cover(yes there are 2 on console cars....Once those are done then I move to trimming the firewall. I trim it so it tucks tight again the heater box insulation and follow that line across. Then I get to the throttle bracket...I have seen this done several ways. The way I do this is on the cable end I cut a slit along the arm to the bottom of the shaft and tuck behind. Then on the arm that rides the pedal I cut a hole with a slit upward and slide over and back to the firewall. From there I have to cut down and straight across the bottom of the coulomb centering bracket and tuck underneath...

Moving leftward I have to cut a vertical wide cut for the fork rod......

Then comes my nemesis...the headlight toggle....I do not know why we have a and relationship....I have learned to lift up the carpet from the pan a bit and see where it falls on the top of the toggle, check and recheck...and make the smallest cut possible....can always enlarge later....

Then I move to trimming the edges and the same process as the rear. Make sure the kick panel has some to grab at the rocker panel and leave some carpet behind the kick panel....Too much trimming below the kick panel is a very bad thing, so be careful and take your time here...You would hate to be at the end and either live with it or start over...

IMG_0726.JPG
IMG_0727.JPG
IMG_0728.JPG
IMG_0729.JPG
IMG_0730.JPG
IMG_0731.JPG
IMG_0732.JPG
IMG_0733.JPG
IMG_0734.JPG

Original seat belts were sent to Snake Oyl Products here in Texas. The tags were matched exactly to the original belts. Hence the 68 date and the X was an early 69 build in 10/68 build date. Original bolts were sent out for the proper plating and pics show which ones based on head numbers where they go and spacers used....

IMG_0738.JPG
IMG_0739.JPG
IMG_0740.JPG
IMG_0741.JPG
IMG_0742.JPG
IMG_0743.JPG
IMG_0744.JPG
IMG_0745.JPG
IMG_0747.JPG

Last edited:
nice , you always come up with the right stuff, :thumbsup:.
Don,

Thanks again for the compliments, much appreciated!

I was very fortunate with this car because other than the NOS parts all the parts off the car were in very nice restorable shape. There were very few parts I had to hunt down to get sent off for plating or restoration. If you can believe the hardest item for me to find for this car was the Starter....The service items are the hardest to find...Most returned them for a core charge or were just thrown away. The guy who restores the alternators and starters, Jim Ridge, spends more time hunting through parts than what the restoration cost is worth...

A lot of these parts I have acquired through the years and have searched for them for awhile.....The starter took about 2 years to find....

The NOS arena is where I have been very lucky.....I explore ebay daily and used multiple search words etc.. A lot of the stuff I just email the seller if an auction and say what is your price and do a "buy it now"....The auction format sucks and people used friends, co workers etc to increase bids it is part of ebay that I detest....Funny, thing is very very few will say let the auction roll....I do not have time for nonsense ebay deals...

Justin

I just went thru that deal with a woodgrain steering wheel on ebay, ended up picking up a beautiful piece from 1970 roadrunner from a recomendation from hunt2elk. great guys on this site couldn't do it without you all. thanks.

I agree most everyone has the "help you" attitude. A lot of time & $s are saved from the experience of the guys & gals here.

The kick panels were restored by Dave Patik...

The original sill plates and extensions were sent out to McNichols Anodizing....this is the correct low luster finish...The repro's are not like the originals in fit, finish and looks.

http://www.mcnicholsanodizing.com

Sill plate screws came from Frank Badalson

Original insulation pads versus repro's.....

IMG_0757.JPG
IMG_0758.JPG
IMG_0759.JPG
IMG_0760.JPG
IMG_0761.JPG
IMG_0762.JPG
IMG_0763.JPG
IMG_0764.JPG
IMG_0765.JPG
IMG_0766.JPG

Trimming the edge along the rocker panel area to install the sill plates and kick panels.

Key areas to note(see pics) the areas by the kick panel and where the front and rear carpets overlap. The overlap areas is important to notch as shown. If you do not you will not be able to install the sill plate properly..

So far I have received 4 war wounds from trimming the carpet..lol...

IMG_0767.JPG
IMG_0768.JPG
IMG_0769.JPG
IMG_0770.JPG
IMG_0771.JPG

A ice pic is your next best friend when dealing with the sill plates and extensions....

IMG_0772.JPG
IMG_0773.JPG
IMG_0774.JPG
IMG_0775.JPG
IMG_0776.JPG
IMG_0777.JPG
IMG_0778.JPG
IMG_0779.JPG
IMG_0780.JPG
IMG_0781.JPG

Justin that is awesome! Beautiful work!!! Black on Red is one of my favorite combos!!!
Where did you get the steamer? I've been looking for a used one online or someone that rents them, would pefer a commercial unit don't know if a household type would work..???...
Thanks for all the detail and pics!

Justin that is awesome! Beautiful work!!! Black on Red is one of my favorite combos!!!
Where did you get the steamer? I've been looking for a used one online or someone that rents them, would pefer a commercial unit don't know if a household type would work..???...
Thanks for all the detail and pics!
Mike

Glad to see my Houston friend here!

Thanks for the compliments....next time your in town we will have to connect and I will.make sure I am not working ahead of time!

I used the bosses unit....you should have seen the look on her face when it was in the garage.....then I got the, "you break it, your buying me a new one". Lol

It is a rowenta and came from bed and bath beyond.....

Looking great Justin! Getting the new car smell I bet.
Roger

It does have a certain adhesive type smell, lol....my allergies are kicking string so it is hard to tell but it does have a new look...

Thanks for the compliments much appreciated!

I'll try to give you a little more notice the next time I'm up there Justin.
Ya my boss has a Shark steamer but has threatened me multiple times when I've looked at it too!!! Lol!
I'm a ways out from needing it, my door panels are in really good shape with the exception of a couple of edges. They have shrunk and rolled up so I thought a steamer might make them a little more pliable and allow me to re-glue them.
Keep up the great work!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back