• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For the Love for my Father, My 69 GTX Restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll try to give you a little more notice the next time I'm up there Justin.
Ya my boss has a Shark steamer but has threatened me multiple times when I've looked at it too!!! Lol!
I'm a ways out from needing it, my door panels are in really good shape with the exception of a couple of edges. They have shrunk and rolled up so I thought a steamer might make them a little more pliable and allow me to re-glue them.
Keep up the great work!
Are those the original panels? Original panels are notorious to do that. This removing the glued portion without damaging the panel. So be very careful in that area. A steamer is worth a shot to try to soften the vinyl.

lol, If I would have asked to use it the answer would have been, No....I have learned to just grab it and deal with the flak later.....My response is, Babe if I brake it I will buy you a better one." I always get the same answer, "OK, perfect." Now ask me how many things of hers I have broken, lol....However, the things she has broken...well we just wont got there will we....

I always wondered how those sill extensions installed. No much on the interwebs about it with photos.

Thanks

I always wondered how those sill extensions installed. No much on the interwebs about it with photos.

Thanks
And then you've got the problem of rust from underneath wallowing out the metal where the screw is supposed to grab on to.

And then you've got the problem of rust from underneath wallowing out the metal where the screw is supposed to grab on to.
That is a very good point to put out there! Thanks for noting that!

Either could be rusted out or wallowed out from multi removals and installs.....Check every screws holes prior to paint....

Thanks
I have seen them installed both ways.....I had 3 survivor cars and they were installed the way I did above. I tried one time to install them the other way and they did not fit and the key thing they did not hold the carpet down. When installed my way they fit and they lock the carpet down.

Where people make the mistake is by comparing edges and think the thin edge has to go to the inside....

Look at the poor fitment of the pic below...
sill plates.jpg

Versus this fitment
IMG_0789.JPG

Installing the 4 speed console. Trimming around the hump board was an area in question. At some point in the life of the X the original carpet was replaced. So I could not use that as a reference. I asked a few experts regarding this and they said trim around the panel. I obtained several pics of original units and that was how they were done. If you ask my opinion of how it looks, well it looks like sh## but thats how it was done.

The original hurst shifter was sent to Paul's Chrome for plating. Most do not know but the script on this shifter that is engraved is the early script and the later script was wider on the letters. Confirming an early part for an early 69 build. The handle is the push in type into the hurst unit and locks when placed in the shifter unit.

IMG_0792.JPG
IMG_0793.JPG
IMG_0794.JPG
IMG_0795.JPG
IMG_0796.JPG
IMG_0797.JPG
IMG_0798.JPG
IMG_0799.JPG
IMG_0800.JPG
IMG_0801.JPG

Got the final woodgrain installed on the console compartment door....

The shifter ball os an actual 69 NOS and thanks to Greg K. digging through his staff for me!

IMG_0802.JPG
IMG_0803.JPG
IMG_0804.JPG
IMG_0805.JPG
IMG_0806.JPG
IMG_0807.JPG
IMG_0808.JPG

Moving to some easier stuff...

Installed the NOS dome light lens and housing...

Installed the PITA steering column roll pin and the coupler bracket

IMG_0809.JPG
IMG_0810.JPG
IMG_0812.JPG

Where did you find the clip? I have never seen that before. Must be one of the first things to get pitched?

Where did you find the clip? I have never seen that before. Must be one of the first things to get pitched?
Page 48. Near the bottom I posted a link...

It was a service fix Chrysler required whenever the column was removed etc...it was not a factory line installed item but it is worth for the added protection..

Justin did you cut carpet for console sides from front or from the back?

Justin did you cut carpet for console sides from front or from the back?
The console carpet was a kit from ACC.....The passenger side required no trimming. The driver side was trimmed just like the two original examples I received from friends with original equipment. It was trimmed out of the car. The pics I have are on my home computer but here are two other examples.

carpet.jpg

console 2.JPG

The one above is close but the front extends to far and the bottom front would interfere with the gas pedal. The funny thing is when they posted the console installed they didnt show a pic of the driver side. It is obvious as to why.

Would you please post a few photos showing the console door alignment with the top plates? Mine is close enough but I wish it could be better.

Thanks

Would you please post a few photos showing the console door alignment with the top plates? Mine is close enough but I wish it could be better.

Thanks
Sure, I will get around to that this weekend....They are as good as I could manage...

Did you use a NOS hinge and spring? I bought a re-popped hinge and it pops the door up but I have to lift it open then the spring keeps it open.

Did you use a NOS hinge and spring? I bought a re-popped hinge and it pops the door up but I have to lift it open then the spring keeps it open.
Not NOS, it is the original and I got it plated....

I can't keep up with this thread, it makes my brain hurt. Info overload. I just saw all the canyon pics, WOW!.. I can't imagine a better info packed restoration thread. I'm gonna have to come back and look at so much stuff here as I get to it on mine., Justin you need an index for this thread so we can go back and find stuff, lol.
..It took me literally 10 min's if that....keep in mind that is with no help...Like the car wants to be done, weird....
My car didn't want to be done at first but it's getting better but now my wallet doesn't want it done! lol
Funny, I've never seen or noticed a none ralley dash like that with 150mph and a tach , that is way cool. I assume that's the way it/they came?

Last edited:
I can't keep up with this thread, it makes my brain hurt. Info overload. I just saw all the canyon pics, WOW!.. I can't imagine a better info packed restoration thread. I'm gonna have to come back and look at so much stuff here as I get to it on mine., Justin you need an index for this thread so we can go back and find stuff, lol.

My car didn't want to be done at first but it's getting better but now my wallet doesn't want it done! lol
Funny, I've never seen or noticed a none ralley dash like that with 150mph and a tach , that is way cool. I assume that's the way it/they came?
Dk

Thanks my friend:thumbsup: Tabs/indexes would be helpful because there are times I go back looking for things and get lost in the pages, lol...That is a standard option for a GTX with a 440/426 with a 4 speed....

Btw I want one of those Rocket Stoves....really cool...

Justin

Thanks, Justin.

Mine was darn near perfectly aligned when I put it all together on the bench. Not so much after the installation in the car. I have new floor pans and console mounts from the previous owner. So, I figure it's as close as it gets without a whole lot more fiddling which could cause the old console to crack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back