• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For the Love for my Father, My 69 GTX Restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, Justin.

Mine was darn near perfectly aligned when I put it all together on the bench. Not so much after the installation in the car. I have new floor pans and console mounts from the previous owner. So, I figure it's as close as it gets without a whole lot more fiddling which could cause the old console to crack.
Mine changed a little two in relation to the carpet/padding....I am not a fan of torquing on 40 plus year old plastic...

Thanks, Justin.

Mine was darn near perfectly aligned when I put it all together on the bench. Not so much after the installation in the car. I have new floor pans and console mounts from the previous owner. So, I figure it's as close as it gets without a whole lot more fiddling which could cause the old console to crack.

It is normal lol. If the brackets were loose for any reason, i.e. floorpans, tunnel, etc. They really need to be fit with the console in place. Mine is tweaked near the back and I'm almost positive it is the rear bracket which I took loose to get the driver side pan in.

And that is not even accounting for "close enough" from the factory workers at the time.

Justin, that interior looks fantastic!

It is normal lol. If the brackets were loose for any reason, i.e. floorpans, tunnel, etc. They really need to be fit with the console in place. Mine is tweaked near the back and I'm almost positive it is the rear bracket which I took loose to get the driver side pan in.

And that is not even accounting for "close enough" from the factory workers at the time.

Justin, that interior looks fantastic!
Mark

Thanks for the compliment! In person the red pops even more, the pictures do not do it justice....btw I am very close to removing the seat covers and get the new ones on....Imagine a silver GTX with a red interior, that will be fantastic as well!

The consoles are what they are...some are better than others.....

Justin

Installed the mopar battery.....

It came from these guys:

http://www.antiqueautobattery.com/chrysler.html#Plymouth

The comparison battery cable bolts are one from Frank Badalson(Left) and the ones that comes with the reproduction cables(Right). FB bolts are 100% correct...

IMG_0554.JPG
IMG_0555.JPG
IMG_0556.JPG
IMG_0557.JPG
IMG_0558.JPG
IMG_0813.JPG
IMG_0814.JPG
IMG_0815.JPG
IMG_0816.JPG
IMG_0817.JPG

Installed the cam bolt access plates. They are painted in semi gloss black and hardware was black phosphate. The rubber access cover are from REM...

IMG_0821.JPG
IMG_0822.JPG
IMG_0823.JPG
IMG_0824.JPG
IMG_0825.JPG
IMG_0826.JPG
IMG_0827.JPG
IMG_0828.JPG

Installing the hood latch/catch, spring and safety catch. All three were restored by Bill Meerholz in the correct finishes and pin's...Hardware was black phosphate...

Latch is dated 256th of 68

IMG_0841.JPG
IMG_0842.JPG
IMG_0843.JPG
IMG_0844.JPG
IMG_0845.JPG
IMG_0846.JPG
IMG_0847.JPG
IMG_0848.JPG
IMG_0849.JPG

Safety catch is dated 306th day of 68

###the bolts pictured here are for the latch, the bolts above with the latch are for this, sorry###

IMG_0850.JPG
IMG_0851.JPG
IMG_0852.JPG
IMG_0853.JPG
IMG_0854.JPG
IMG_0855.JPG

Everything fitted up nicely for a factory look....

I take a hood bumper and cut some of the guts out and fit it onto the hood spring for protection....

IMG_0856.JPG
IMG_0857.JPG
IMG_0858.JPG
IMG_0859.JPG
IMG_0860.JPG

Installed the trunk latch and NOS lock cylinder. The latch was restored by Bill Meerholz and the hardware was painted with the car(as the factory did, or can be black phosphate). Notice the wear on the bolts heads since the latch was put on later to mimic what the factory did. ##the little things count##The catch and bolts was painted with the car like the factory did. I had to file out the lock cylinder opening in the deck lid due to paint buildup and touched up the filed edges. Man the clip that holds the cylinder in place is a PITA to put in. What a tight area to get to. I would have shot a pic with the trunk closed but forget and will have to update.

IMG_0861.JPG
IMG_0862.JPG
IMG_0863.JPG
IMG_0864.JPG
IMG_0865.JPG
IMG_0866.JPG
IMG_0867.JPG

Last edited:
Special thanks to threewood, Mark for getting me the factory line "C" clips for the rear U joint. Not long ago I got the correct strap from Mike Mancini. These are on the factory U joints only on the rear joint to hold the grease cups in place prior to assembly...One of those small items I finally got time to install....

IMG_0871.JPG

This weekend mainly composed of ELECTRICAL.....The most hated word in relation to a restoration. I had 2 issues one was the obvious "ground" and the other was the dome/console lights. The ground issue ended up being the front right parking/turn signal light housing. Sounds easy but I spent a lot of time tracking it down.

The console/dome light was a nightmare....I have to give Tommy at Parts Hound a huge THANK YOU! He did all the switches for the GTX. After tracing the issue to nowhere, I gave Tommy a call. After an hour on the phone he figured out the issue was my console harness. So he made a correct one for me and will ship Monday.

Tommy didn't do this because I knew him or I am something special(because I am neither) and I do not know him. He took an hour out of his Saturday to help a customer of his and over the phone figured out the root cause and sent me the fix.....THAT IS ONE HECK OF A BUSINESS AND OWNER!

Bill Meerholz referred me to him and I am so gracious to Bill for that referral....Tommy does top notch work and stands behind it 100% and will help with any issue you may have electrical wise....

So by lunchtime today....Every light and switch works(minus dome/console).....

I even turned the motor over and IT'S ALIVE! I hooked up my spark tester and it is ready to burn some gas:thumbsup:

Next on the list is taking the seats to get done. I was going to do that myself but I just do not have time to spare....next will be putting some gas in it and check for leaks.....Getting close to some combustion my friends!

Stay Tuned!

Last edited:
WOW Justin, sure coming around to 3rd base! You've sure been busy! I'm learning a LOT from you and you've given me some pointers of little things I can do on my car to bring it closer to factory spec's.

I agree with you on Tommy. Even though I hadn't bought anything from him he took the time to give me some good info and another vendors name where I could get parts. I wish everyone in the auto business was like him!

WOW Justin, sure coming around to 3rd base! You've sure been busy! I'm learning a LOT from you and you've given me some pointers of little things I can do on my car to bring it closer to factory spec's.
Roger

Thanks my friend and I am glad the info is helping your project out!:thumbsup:

Justin

I agree with you on Tommy. Even though I hadn't bought anything from him he took the time to give me some good info and another vendors name where I could get parts. I wish everyone in the auto business was like him!
Tommy and Bill Meerholz are like two peas in the pod.....

The gent who broke in and tuned the motor was tied up this week and will be over next week to do a check over prior to start up....Remember this motor was dyno and tuned prior to putting the motor in the car...I would NOT do it any other way it saves time, money and headaches....

So when I got the motor back I had to pull the distributor, carbs, plugs etc...in order to prep and paint the motor. I marked the distributor and block with a small dab of white paint and later touched those spots up once installed again....The gas was drained from the carb and packed away and later installed.....

Yesterday I put 5 gallons of gas in the X to do a system check for any leaks while pumping the system up....No leaks whatsoever...Today, I put 5 gallons in the X and did a fuel test again, no leaks and the carb was ready to rock....

I couldn't wait till next week.....So I put the key in the ignition and about a 1/4 revolution and BAM...Running like a champ....I touched NOTHING...So what you see in the video is the first start and run.....

Dave will be by next week of course to double-check everything and we will test the trans while the rear is off the ground....

Not the best video, it is from my cell phone....

Tim

That I did! still am actually.....It has been a long and wonderful road to get here...

Justin
justin, you are a mopar phenom.your attention to detail and by the part numbers is very rare,this hobby is not dying with people like you still in it. thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back