• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For the Love for my Father, My 69 GTX Restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the single adjustment screw a left hand thread?
No idea....that is for the air gap....

You can get the carb restorers to block that off internally and expose the idle adjustments below or have one that has the idle adjustments there as the first pic shows...

From the carb guys the air gap adjustment was a poor design and hence why they ditched it in 69....

The gent who broke in and tuned the motor was tied up this week and will be over next week to do a check over prior to start up....Remember this motor was dyno and tuned prior to putting the motor in the car...I would NOT do it any other way it saves time, money and headaches....

So when I got the motor back I had to pull the distributor, carbs, plugs etc...in order to prep and paint the motor. I marked the distributor and block with a small dab of white paint and later touched those spots up once installed again....The gas was drained from the carb and packed away and later installed.....

Yesterday I put 5 gallons of gas in the X to do a system check for any leaks while pumping the system up....No leaks whatsoever...Today, I put 5 gallons in the X and did a fuel test again, no leaks and the carb was ready to rock....

I couldn't wait till next week.....So I put the key in the ignition and about a 1/4 revolution and BAM...Running like a champ....I touched NOTHING...So what you see in the video is the first start and run.....

Dave will be by next week of course to double-check everything and we will test the trans while the rear is off the ground....

Not the best video, it is from my cell phone....

how the @#$% did I miss this post?!?!? She sounds so sweet.

Congrats Justin!! long hard road to get to here. EPIC thread and build!!! :thumbsup::usflag:

On the carb topic... I know this is a 69 but our 4/68 build GTX was single screw. It was LH thread. IIRC the date code was D8 on ours.

Car looks great BTW. If your concerned about the screws you could pull the thumb screws out and replace with the ones from an older carb, recessed screw. They were still adjustable with a very small flat blade.

how the @#$% did I miss this post?!?!? She sounds so sweet.

Congrats Justin!! long hard road to get to here. EPIC thread and build!!! :thumbsup::usflag:
Well Mario...I cannot fault you...your just too busy over in the blue area, lol

Thanks my friend I really appreciate your comments and following my build....

Justin

On the carb topic... I know this is a 69 but our 4/68 build GTX was single screw. It was LH thread. IIRC the date code was D8 on ours.

Car looks great BTW. If your concerned about the screws you could pull the thumb screws out and replace with the ones from an older carb, recessed screw. They were still adjustable with a very small flat blade.
Hello my friend!

Thank you for the compliments....

The carb pictured above unfortunately is not mine but you are correct on replacing those screws....Plus, it has an H for the month and is a little to far back prior to the build date. I am searching for an I, J, K preferably a J/K. After talking to a few people yesterday and last night and posts like your for example. I thing the carb in the ebay ad is the correct style for mine and this will be a fun search to say the least....

I appreciate all input and thanks for chiming in....

Justin

Well, this morning I ventured down to Dallas to drop off my seats to get redone. For some that remember Sue that appears on Gas Monkey Garage to do there upholstery. Sue coined the "Azz Monkey" phrase is where my seats went tp. She is about 10 mins from me South. Her business is called ASM and she is a true owner involved business and does awesome work! Sue is there everyday and handles all operations. As a person she is a wonderful lady with a good heart. While I was there Stu and his wife who owns the original place where GMG started stopped in.

IMG_0889.JPG
IMG_0891.JPG
IMG_0888.JPG

When I used to watch that show, I always looked forward to the episodes with ASM. Sue always cracked me up. Just her accent saying Azz Monkey was/is the best!

Well, Justin, we can all put a face to your name now. :D:D

DD

When I used to watch that show, I always looked forward to the episodes with ASM. Sue always cracked me up. Just her accent saying Azz Monkey was/is the best!

Well, Justin, we can all put a face to your name now. :D:D

DD
Darrin,

What is interesting about Sue is how quiet and reserved she is in person. She has a clean cut professional personality. She came out to my car to help remove the seats and boxes and I said, "no worries Sue I will handle it." She wouldn't have it and unloaded the boxes. Then with everything out she looked over each seat, each box and each part....Inspected everything before I was able to leave. I will tell you that place for a saturday in the short time I was there. Probably, ten or more customers stop in...I always heard how widely respected she is around here and I witnessed that first hand yesterday....

As for me I look younger than what my body tells me.....turned 43 this year.....my wife is 4 years older and she looks 20....trust me I do throw the old lady comment around...We crack on each other btw....

Justin

I couldn't hardly stand that show but loved Sue... funny lady for sure and talented as well. Really cool that your using her for your seats:thumbsup:.

Also nice putting another face to the name.... I'm only 2 years behind you.

I couldn't hardly stand that show but loved Sue... funny lady for sure and talented as well. Really cool that your using her for your seats:thumbsup:.

Also nice putting another face to the name.... I'm only 2 years behind you.
Thanks my friend!

told ya you need a TV show!......... you are way less annoying than that no talent gas monkey hack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back