• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For the Love for my Father, My 69 GTX Restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Major work happening around here, lol.....

The cheap plastic bulkhead connector had to be replaced...So I got that wrapped up...I have taken I do not know how many off through the years and of course the one on the X breaks on both sides...I barely pried back and snap....Easy replacement but just irritating...

Got my visor tips on...

Installed one dash lower plastic cover. The other one crack during restoration at IS and another is in process getting done....
IMG_1043.JPG
IMG_1044.JPG
IMG_1045.JPG
IMG_1046.JPG
IMG_1047.JPG
IMG_1048.JPG
IMG_1049.JPG
IMG_1050.JPG

The dash trim is beautiful and so hard to find. A huge factor in making a perfect car.

If anyone wanted a brand new assembly line 1969 Plymouth GTX....it would be this car.

The dash trim is beautiful and so hard to find. A huge factor in making a perfect car.

If anyone wanted a brand new assembly line 1969 Plymouth GTX....it would be this car.
Tom

You are correct they are extremely hard to find in good shape/restorable. I am doing the best I can in my little garage and el cheapo tools....lol....

Thanks for the compliments my friend!

Justin

Yeah I know what you mean I had those but were cracked. I got a set, then decided to go with AC.

Yeah I know what you mean I had those but were cracked. I got a set, then decided to go with AC.
The issue with those are obvious is screws and plastic....not a good marriage. My other one was good until the stripping/plastic chrome process occurred. Which is very stressful on these old plastics.....

Major work happening around here, lol.....

The cheap plastic bulkhead connector had to be replaced...So I got that wrapped up...I have taken I do not know how many off through the years and of course the one on the X breaks on both sides...I barely pried back and snap....Easy replacement but just irritating...

Got my visor tips on...

Installed one dash lower plastic cover. The other one crack during restoration at IS and another is in process getting done....
View attachment 523051 View attachment 523052 View attachment 523053 View attachment 523054 View attachment 523055 View attachment 523056 View attachment 523057 View attachment 523058
I looked everywhere for those lower dash bezels for my 68. The original ones were not restorable. The 68 ones were different than the 69s you have. At least they repop those. I finally found one in Arkansas then the other from Tony’s Parts. Not cheap - for cheap plastic!

I looked everywhere for those lower dash bezels for my 68. The original ones were not restorable. The 68 ones were different than the 69s you have. At least they repop those. I finally found one in Arkansas then the other from Tony’s Parts. Not cheap - for cheap plastic!
I have a mint pair of 68's(if your referring to the ribbed ones)....btw...

There are 2 types in 69.....mine are not flat black they are transparent and show ribs....originals are hard to find...The ones you are referring to as reproductions are the ones that are a flat black with plastic chrome.....

There are a slight handful of repop parts on this car and those will eventually be replaced..Some I have already replaced....

I have a mint pair of 68's(if your referring to the ribbed ones)....btw...

There are 2 types in 69.....mine are not flat black they are transparent and show ribs....originals are hard to find...The ones you are referring to as reproductions are the ones that are a flat black with plastic chrome.....

There are a slight handful of repop parts on this car and those will eventually be replaced..Some I have already replaced....
Your X is obviously a “factory” car. I’ve been following the thread for a time. Looking for tips too. My bezels are not the ribbed ones either - they are shiny black transparent plastic. My car is more of a restomod. In desperation I would have used those ribbed ones - in fact I bought a set but they didn’t fit (or look right) with the rest of the dash which is all original. Anyway a lot of money and a pita for such a bit part. You’re right screws and plastic don’t go well together...

Your X is obviously a “factory” car. I’ve been following the thread for a time. Looking for tips too. My bezels are not the ribbed ones either - they are shiny black transparent plastic. My car is more of a restomod. In desperation I would have used those ribbed ones - in fact I bought a set but they didn’t fit (or look right) with the rest of the dash which is all original. Anyway a lot of money and a pita for such a bit part. You’re right screws and plastic don’t go well together...
The ones you are searching for are like the ones I have....When IS told me the passenger side cracked my heart sank....Because as you said above they are near impossible to find and usually when you do they are cracked....then the unknown is hairline cracks around the screw hole that open up when they restore them....

The one I needed came from Tony's parts and is at IS now so hopefully it is good.....It is not a cheap trial and error process...Especially, for something that most people never even notice unless it is missing....

I will keep an eye out for you on those....

I appreciate your comments and compliments....Much appreciated!

Found a pic of a car I wish I never let go.....My 72 Duster 340 four speed.....I bought the car from a guy going through a divorce. He had the car painted as shown but was not assembled. It was all matching and was originally all black with white stripes....I loved the sublime with the blackout....Buckets seats non console car with a 3.55....This was my daily driver for about 3 years. I got rid of it prior to moving to Texas, so it was a space issue problem....

The car is in the hands of a guy in NJ taking great care of it....Which is nice to know...

DUSTER.jpg

I remember one of those that used to run around my home town. Same color.

Found a pic of a car I wish I never let go.....My 72 Duster 340 four speed.....I bought the car from a guy going through a divorce. He had the car painted as shown but was not assembled. It was all matching and was originally all black with white stripes....I loved the sublime with the blackout....Buckets seats non console car with a 3.55....This was my daily driver for about 3 years. I got rid of it prior to moving to Texas, so it was a space issue problem....

The car is in the hands of a guy in NJ taking great care of it....Which is nice to know...

View attachment 523614
Anyone else see the irony in that statement? Texas and space issue? Hehe.

Anyone else see the irony in that statement? Texas and space issue? Hehe.
When I can spit on my neighbors fence....yes, that is the irony of that......

It is the area in North Dallas my wife wanted to live in and with that came some sacrifices.....

Oh no! I'm driving my GTX down to see you!!!! I'll pick up Mechanic on the way. Only a 12 hour drive (at the legal speed limit. Well maybe a little more than that as I'll have to stop twice as often for gas as normal. I can stop by and see Patti too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back