• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For the Love for my Father, My 69 GTX Restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not boring moparnation, I like it! My friend has a '69 that he's restoring as well. Although his might not be "OE" he's doing a great job as well. He's not a member here and not very computer savvy but he's drooling over your restoration when I show him:thumbsup:

For us OEM guys, your thread is providing insight to various components that usually are not inspected. Check your email.

D

Well this is pretty exciting to me. I'm going through books and forums to track down the correct clips, fasteners, etc on my '68 Charger because the previous owner apparently put hardware store fasteners back whenever he had something apart. I love the challenge of finding the correct stuff and seeing someone who shares the same love (or sickness) as me reassures me that I'm not alone...lol

For us OEM guys, your thread is providing insight to various components that usually are not inspected. Check your email.

D
Darrin

Your input is VERY important to me based on your knowledge and Outstanding restorations.

Hope, I am not stepping over bounds here and let me know Darrin if I did(I will remove this)...

If anyone of you guys need the correct trunk mat and the EXACT factory stampings. Darrin is the guy!
When I get a chance I will post some pics of that piece of artwork in this thread!

Thanks again Darrin and for the fast turnaround:thumbsup:

Well this is pretty exciting to me. I'm going through books and forums to track down the correct clips, fasteners, etc on my '68 Charger because the previous owner apparently put hardware store fasteners back whenever he had something apart. I love the challenge of finding the correct stuff and seeing someone who shares the same love (or sickness) as me reassures me that I'm not alone...lol
RT

A small part of this build I wanted to include everything I can possibly think of. I am not the best nor the most knowledgeable but I have a lot of experience in restoring B Bodies mainly. This thread like you alluded to is the process, parts, and pieces needed and restored back to the day IT ACTUALLY ROLLED OFF THE ASSEMBLY LINE. There may be a few parts NOS that are not the correct date/part number and I will or have referenced that thus far. However, I am always on the search to replace those but some are probably no longer available. At that point a year off or so just makes it MORE period correct versus a junk Chinese part.

As far as hardware goes. I cannot tell you how much money I have wasted in the past with the idea that a new repro is better than an old. Very few repro's are exact and the ones I use that are new exactly matched the originals. I also reference those vendors that offer them. It is relatively cheaper to send your old out to get plating than buying a new one. The headache is the hundreds of pictures, measurements etc of each bot, clip, nut, washer you have to document. When you send these out they do not do your bag by bag or you would pay a fortune. So I send them out in big ziploc bags. One labeled black zinc Interior, one black zinc Exterior, another silver zinc, and gold CAD. Then I had the privilege to go through hundreds of pics and to put back in there respective individual bags:BangHead:

I have A LOT of original fasteners and clips if you ever need any PM me.....I would be glad to help

Justin

Not boring moparnation, I like it! My friend has a '69 that he's restoring as well. Although his might not be "OE" he's doing a great job as well. He's not a member here and not very computer savvy but he's drooling over your restoration when I show him:thumbsup:
Thank you as always.....If your friend doesn't have a techy kid to help him. I would be glad to pass my number along if he has any questions etc if I can help at all....

MP74, I'm doing a 69 GTX also, good reference here! Although I'm not going back 100% NOS it's good info to know. If you need anything let me know if I can help.

MP74, I'm doing a 69 GTX also, good reference here! Although I'm not going back 100% NOS it's good info to know. If you need anything let me know if I can help.
I view your thread daily BTW.....Love everything your doing to your X along with some hunting breaks I see, Nice! Including things like that puts a true human element to your build and I appreciate that....

I also appreciate any and all help you can provide....point it out or pm me anything. If I run into a snag I just may send you a PM!l..The more eyes I have the better the outcome!

I'm not really picky on the OEM look on some things. So I might have some clips or small stuff you can use. For example I didn't use the the tricastle nuts on the suspension, but have the originals.

On the other hand I made sure I got back the same wiper motor barrel so it had the right date code. No rhyme or reason to my build other than the way I want it.

On the other hand I made sure I got back the same wiper motor barrel so it had the right date code. No rhyme or reason to my build other than the way I want it.
The old wiper motor fiasco......that is a dark history for me! Makes me want to break stuff, lol!

I am glad you are at peace with yours.....

Yeah we sent them to the same place, not good. But at least I know mine is good on the inside now.

Thanks very much! The problem that I've ran into on my car is that the correct fasteners are long gone on a lot of things, so not only do I have to find a correct piece, but I have to figure out what piece is correct for that area before I can locate one. My car will be a driver and while I am going to stray from 100% factory correct, (I'm painting the underside body color, doing bodywork to the engine bay, etc) I want the correct looking bolt with the correct finish in the correct place. My car lived in the rust belt its entire life, so rust has been an issue and some of the remaining correct fasteners have been too pitted away to re plate, but I enjoy the thrill of the hunt.

"thrill of the hunt" is part of the fun in this

Fedex dropped off some goodies today!

All of these parts were restored to perfection by Bill Meerholz. He and Dave Patik are at a tie for the best vendors I have had to deal with in 25 plus years of restorations. Bill stays in constant communication, consistently hits his committed timeframes and his part restorations....Well, the pics below speak for themselves...Below is the link to his website...Btw he offers A LOT of services for parts restorations be sure to call and ask!

http://www.bmcuda.com

Shall we revamp the Wiper Motor debacle? This thread link below tells it all!

https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/beware-kim-passion-for-mopars.126416/

DSC04542.JPG
DSC04543.JPG
DSC04544.JPG
DSC04545.JPG
DSC04546.JPG
DSC04547.JPG
DSC04548.JPG

NOW THAT IS A CORRECTLY RESTORED WIPER MOTOR SHOULD LOOK LIKE!

Thanks Bill!

Too nice to even put on the car, lol....Phenomenal work Bill!
DSC04558.JPG
DSC04559.JPG
DSC04560.JPG
DSC04561.JPG
DSC04562.JPG

Could wait to put one of these gems on the car.....So I slipped on the door strikers and spacer plates. All was fine except for the report hardware. These repops had the correct finish but the locking washer, head size and phillips size were not like the originals...Bill these originals will be coming your way! For now the repos can enjoy there limited time on the car....
DSC04577.JPG
DSC04578.JPG
DSC04579.JPG
DSC04580.JPG
DSC04581.JPG
DSC04582.JPG
DSC04583.JPG
DSC04584.JPG
DSC04585.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service