• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For the Love for my Father, My 69 GTX Restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rear Brake Drums 11 x 2.5 HD

This is one of the few original parts that were long gone. Probably due to replacement sometime in its life. What was on the car when it was acquired was a mixed matched factory set. Dates were late 69 and early 71 and both did not have much meat left either. So to pass of as a near new part was impossible and one had pitting as well. I have been actively searching for an NOS set(Good luck) or a very nice used set with the correct markings and dates, good luck again, lol....Until then I chose to leave off the incorrect originals and got a new set from Oreillys. They are fairly close to the look of the originals but lots of little incorrect details. I will pay big bones for a correct set! Either NOS or super nice originals that mimic NOS. Date range is prior to 10/68 and no earlier than 7/68. They can be mixed matched dates...
DSC04563.JPG
DSC04564.JPG
DSC04565.JPG
DSC04566.JPG
DSC04567.JPG
DSC04568.JPG
DSC04569.JPG
DSC04570.JPG
DSC04571.JPG

Last edited:
I will check my old ones. My car is a 01/69 car. But I will check as I have the orginal 8 3/4. Is yours a Dana 60?

I will check my old ones. My car is a 01/69 car. But I will check as I have the orginal 8 3/4. Is yours a Dana 60?
It is a dana but if it had 11" HD brake drums. They are the same for both in those years.

Back in the early 80s when I was restoring my 1st Hemi Charger, I bought screws & strike plate along with a boatload of parts that were still available from Chrysler. Had I known what things would be like in 30 years, I would have bought 4 of everything.

Justin, This was a very touching story. I offer my condolences on you Dad's passing , sounds like he was an awesome man & Dad.Actually I have to say i agree with Marpar's post brought few tears to my eyes. and I have to thank you for all your compliments to my services. Was very happy to help out. all the best in finishing up your project.

Interior Seam Sealer---Floorpan

The original sealer was a tar like sealer and in the GTX it was applied prior to paint. While the X was getting paint and bodywork completed. I was trying to figure it out and to find the correct product to utilize but at that time I was unable to.

There was one person here whom suggested something and that turned into a testing session. This guy was spot on and I was able to find what is an adequate match.....The Ole Cranium himself...Richard Cranium! You Da man bro:thumbsup:

His suggestion was to try a tar sealer from the hardware store. Went to the local Lowes and bought a tube of each type they had available.

When i got back from Lowes today I got an email response back from Rick Kreuziger and they use the Magic Jack Neoprene Sealer on their restorations to mimic the factory type. So they next thing was to test each tube for look, texture, hardness. All had variations and some had similarities. The winner in my books overall was the Black Jack Neoprene Super Flash Cement....

Soon I will be applying that to the interior area and applying the paint on top off that as well....
DSC04587.JPG
DSC04588.JPG
DSC04589.JPG
DSC04591.JPG
DSC04593.JPG
DSC04594.JPG
DSC04596.JPG
DSC02647.JPG

Last edited:
Repop and NOS Vapor Separator/Fuel Filter

The repop VS is one of the closet parts to be correct as a an original. The NOS was made out of copper and the new one was steel. The hose nipples were different in shape and length between the two units and the seam where the two halves come together was done slightly different than the NOS. So stripped the ole black paint off and evenly applied a semi gloss to finish it off...

Greg K..Thanks for the NOS parts btw!
gas vapor separator NOS assy line 001.JPG
gas vapor separator NOS assy line 003.JPG
gas vapor separator NOS assy line 005.JPG
note - lines from pressing out the part -gas vapor separator NOS assy line 006.JPG
DSC04586.JPG
DSC04598.JPG
DSC04599.JPG
DSC04601.JPG

Excellent post on the tar sealants - Looking at your picture of the floor, it appears to be bare metal under the tar? Then look at the removed tar, the primer appears to be adhered to the back of it?

I can't imagine this tar was put on before the primer dip tank as it would not allow the primer to penetrate the respective seam. Thoughts?

DD

Richard Cranium - excellent reply with the Tony Stark scene!!! LOL.

DSC02647.JPG

Excellent post on the tar sealants - Looking at your picture of the floor, it appears to be bare metal under the tar? Then look at the removed tar, the primer appears to be adhered to the back of it?

I can't imagine this tar was put on before the primer dip tank as it would not allow the primer to penetrate the respective seam. Thoughts?

DD

Richard Cranium - excellent reply with the Tony Stark scene!!! LOL.

View attachment 409502
Darrin

Thanks my friend! It was hard for my eyes to differentiate. I thought it was attached to bare metal and It looked liked aged metal but I think you are correct! From my pics it is still hard for me to differentiate and the grey look on the old tar may be due to reflection of the flash. Too bad I threw all the tar away.

You make a good point on the seam though, I think that is very telling....

Last edited:
Body side moulding

So here we are at a point on this car I really did not want to tackle. One I am dealing with a very expensive paint job. Two I have never done this before and three the body shop couldn't figure out how to do this. In the body shops defense and after talking to several folks the hardware kit I originally had was not correct, even though it was supposed to be. Word to the wise here is the link to the CORRECT kit below.

http://www.herbsparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=192-69TC&cat=661

Dan aka DieselDazzle Special thanks to him for putting me on the appropriate patch to figure out how to do this correctly. I have asked everyone under the sun and no one could remember or knew how to. So I figured out how to accomplish this daunting task.

In the kit they give you enough of the plastic clips and pins for all the holes. When I removed the trim from the GTX originally I had only two metal stud clips and acorns which were in the last rear hole in the door. I decided to put two on the rear trim behind the door in the wheel opening areas and two more on the ends by the rear bumper. Also, two went in the second hole from the front of the door.(aided in installing the longest piece of trim by yourself) Those where the only holes that did not have remnants of clips and the old trim in those areas was glued on back in the day by a previous owner. The two original clips and acorns are clearly different than the new ones. The originals go into the rear of the door which is in the door latch area. I decided to paint them black to match(they were black when removed) and are smaller in height. The taller news ones will hit the frame. No one offers the original type fasteners.

First took my small file set and filed out each hole to remove any paint build up. Then I took some touch up paint to each hole and allowed it to dry. Once dried then I installed all the clips. On the backside it has four tangs. I placed there tangs in the hole and with a putty knife with tape around it(to protect the paint) and carefully push the fourth tab in from the top. BTW I tried the finger nail thing and trust me the putty knife trick is quicker and your fingers will thank you. The dry fit the trim to see if any adjustments need to be made and check the fitment of the clips on the trim itself. I had to trim some places so the trim would snap over the clips, You DO NOT want to find this out after the fact...Check, recheck everything, every piece.

Once all clips are in now here comes the dangerous part. THE PINS. Each pin has a slotted head and are slightly oval to key in one way in the clip. You cannot push these in by hand. I used gibbs lube(what I had handy) and with a small Q tip I lubed the clips and the pins. Then I made a protecter pad of tape(several layers) about 6 to be exact. So you have to use a flat head screwdriver and line it up with the slot and force the pin until you feel it lock. Reason why I had a "safety pad" of tape was to protect the paint due to slippage of the screwdriver. Fortunately that never happened. To give you an idea of the force to push the pins in on the front of the car I had to chock the front dolly unit. So I had the tape above the clip, two fingers on the flat head(piece of paper towel wrapped around the head) and the other hand forcing the clip in. Also, place a small towel over the end of the screwdriver your palm will be happy you did that.

Finally, after all the clips were installed it was time for the trim. I place tape on the topside on the panels and I was not worried about the organisol paint. As Dan related to the cud trim do not get forceful and bang it on like a raped ape, lol. You can damage the trim doing as such. Take a rag and use your palm etc and pop the trim on. Before I forget the clips have a thin plastic extension to guard against the trim slapping the paint. Total time for me was about 16hrs over two days but all went Perfect! Well, all but one piece of trim was not anodized well so it had to make a trip.
DSC04614.JPG
DSC04615.JPG
DSC04616.JPG
DSC04617.JPG
DSC04618.JPG
DSC04623.JPG
DSC04624.JPG

The original wheel well trim was in pristine shape and was sent out and anodized.

DSC04625.JPG
DSC04626.JPG
DSC04619.JPG
DSC04620.JPG
DSC04621.JPG
DSC04622.JPG
DSC04633.JPG
DSC04634.JPG
DSC04635.JPG
DSC04636.JPG

Last edited:
Passenger Fender Pentstar

Here are four examples..From left to right.

Original old crusty 70, New correct 69 style, NOS pre 68, older new year one piece

Be careful there are a lot of knockoffs on these as you can tell and some years are different. The new original Mopar Authentic Restoration piece is spot on for the 69 piece.

DSC04629.JPG
DSC04630.JPG
DSC04631.JPG

moparnation, how does the GTX emblem and the pentastar fit and is there one that fits better ? I need the pentastar for mine (71) but my friend needs both for his 69. I think the push in style is correct for mine but how does it "snap in"? Thanks

Gorgeous! It's amazing what a little bit of trim will do for a freshly painted car, especially a black one

J - Looking good! Love the detail of your posts. Check your email....again.

DD

moparnation, how does the GTX emblem and the pentastar fit and is there one that fits better ? I need the pentastar for mine (71) but my friend needs both for his 69. I think the push in style is correct for mine but how does it "snap in"? Thanks
Rod

The "snap in" depends on the thickness of your paint/bodywork. Mine is within the normal mil range and was able to snap in. I have also seen some originals with the round locking clip on the backside(similar to the ones on your vent cables). So if yours does not snap in then use one of those clips and you're good to go. I had to use one on my charger.

I am not sure if that is correct for the 71 model year, I would think so. Email Dave and the link below and ask him...
http://www.mmcdetroit.com/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back