• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For the Love for my Father, My 69 GTX Restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.
This week has been like NOS parts week central....

Here is a matched pair of NOS 11" finned rear drums for Dana/8 3/4.....These are to replace the aftermarket new ones on the GTX currently. As far as dating goes these are dated for the year 1972....I have been searching for drums for a very long time. They are virtually unobtainable....Used sets are either pitted, unreadable numbers or are turned....To find a matched NOS pair is unheard of anymore....

To put the OE judging in perspective...If I had a beautiful correctly dated pair with readable part numbers on the car but they are not NOS and have been turned. Points will be deducted and thats just how picky the judges have gotten at certain events.....The part has to be of day one status....Hence, correct date, readable part numbers, and no turning....

At certain events I can get dinged on these NOS drums but I just cannot stand having a cheap aftermarket part on my pop's car......

IMG_1556.JPG
IMG_1557.JPG
IMG_1558.JPG
IMG_1559.JPG
IMG_1560.JPG
IMG_1561.JPG
IMG_1562.JPG
IMG_1563.JPG

Last edited:
In life there are some people you run into and they do something for you that blows your mind away.....On the GTX there are several NOS parts I acquired from a member on another forum. I am very picky in buying parts and after I bought the first part from this gent I knew any part offered from him again was top notch.

After buying several parts from him. From time to time I respond to his ad or he shoots me a pic for interest. My recent purchase was the armrest bezels from him and he included some J11y plugs for free...What a guy! After I got them we chatted a bit more and he sent me a picture with several items including what I attached below. It stood out greatly naturally for the model of car that is unscripted on it. So through email I inquired about that and he said make me an offer and send me some pics of your car.

So I really didn't know what these go for and never seen the one below. I sent an email with the offer and the link to my thread. That way he could see the car that several of his parts are on. He responded and in summation said this item is free, just cover shipping and I know this is a nice addition to your car. Plus, I know this will be with you and the car forever and I am happy to contribute....He also offered any help with anything in relation to my project...

I was literally floored and still in shock....When all the BS is pushed to the side there are some really nice people in the world....

Andy...I thank you my brother....This item will be framed and will be with the GTX for as long as I am alive....I know you are digging through my thread and when you get here. Maybe you can tell the story of how it came into your hands?

Justin

Btw this is an original and not a reproduction......

IMG_20171205_192000766.jpg

Great bumper sticker and story. There is still some great guys out there!

The only tattoo I've ever had was when I tattooed the heart with the devil tail on my forearm in high school art class with india ink in 68 or 9, whenever they came out with it in ads. I think I got graded on it.,lol. It faded away about twenty years ago or I'd show a pic.

vintage_auto_art_ltd_website_2005010.jpg

Last edited:
Hello!
Henrik from Sweden here, new to this forum
I have a Roadrunner 1969 that I am going to restore!
Today I took apart my dash frame and I found one of this on the floor, were should it go and what is it for?

1CDB3C67-D926-470D-A6EE-7C1173CE6577.jpeg

Hello!
Henrik from Sweden here, new to this forum
I have a Roadrunner 1969 that I am going to restore!
Today I took apart my dash frame and I found one of this on the floor, were should it go and what is it for?

View attachment 547617
Henrick

Well Hello my Swedish friend......

Those brackets house the turn signal flasher and the hazard flasher relays. They attach on the inside of the dash frame on the bottom. The Hazard goes between the ash tray and the column and the TS goes between the steering column and the driver door side.....

Justin

Henrick

Well Hello my Swedish friend......

Those brackets house the turn signal flasher and the hazard flasher relays. They attach on the inside of the dash frame on the bottom. The Hazard goes between the ash tray and the column and the TS goes between the steering column and the driver door side.....

Justin

Ok thank you very much:thumbsup:
You have really done a nice car and I like the pics you have taken, helps me a lot with my project

Ok thank you very much:thumbsup:
You have really done a nice car and I like the pics you have taken, helps me a lot with my project
Glad to heat that! Thank you for the compliments...

Chime in anytime or shoot me a PM if you need additional pics ect....

Justin

Glad to heat that! Thank you for the compliments...

Chime in anytime or shoot me a PM if you need additional pics ect....

Justin

Justin,

I just happened upon this thread and am in awe of the amount and depth of information you have willingly offered everyone here in the forum. Needless to say, the amount of time, money, and headache people will save by this information is immeasurable.

I’m currently in the process of restoring my 69 Road Runner and although it won’t be to the same level of detail to your GTX, I am doing my best to keep it OE correct with everything I do. Restoring the original parts whenever possible or spending the coin on Genuine NOS takes the nod way before rolling the dice on restoration parts.

Anyway, I’m on page 11 and right now, enjoying it very much and taking lots of notes.

Thanks again for everything you’ve done here, and what a beautiful GTX that will be. What a great memorial to your father.

Anthony

Justin,

I just happened upon this thread and am in awe of the amount and depth of information you have willingly offered everyone here in the forum. Needless to say, the amount of time, money, and headache people will save by this information is immeasurable.

I’m currently in the process of restoring my 69 Road Runner and although it won’t be to the same level of detail to your GTX, I am doing my best to keep it OE correct with everything I do. Restoring the original parts whenever possible or spending the coin on Genuine NOS takes the nod way before rolling the dice on restoration parts.

Anyway, I’m on page 11 and right now, enjoying it very much and taking lots of notes.

Thanks again for everything you’ve done here, and what a beautiful GTX that will be. What a great memorial to your father.

Anthony
Anthony

It pleases me to know and hear that this information is useful to the real hobbyists as the members/viewers here including yourself.....One goal(the other goal is obvious) was to provide the finest example of an OE correct 69 GTX that I could possibly do in the confines of my garage with no lift and basic tools. The same things that almost everyone viewing here has at their disposal.

You will be amazed at how many original parts you can reuse....from seals to wiring and everything in between....Nothing is better than the original parts be it 40 plus year old parts or NOS.....The hardware alone is lightyears better than pieces available now....Better manufacturing and materials.....Plus it gets you more involved into your projects by documenting, researching and using additional tool as my thread and others out there....

Since your restoring a sweet 69 bird I think you may be coming here a bit.....Pm me some pictures if you get a chance. If there is anything I can help you with shoot me a pm anytime....

Again thanks for the compliments and your kind words. Best of luck with your project!

Justin

Last edited:
Justin, I have a quick question.

I noticed you reference the use of Boeshield to treat natural steel throughout your restoration. I’m not familiar with this product so I’m curious what benefits it may have over something like the RPM product that ECS and others sell?

I finally found the closest air filter element to the factory original one. To find an original with PN is unheard of these days. This is a close as one can get. I have a reproduction one and wondered why I couldn't attache the wing nuts. Well, when compared to this very old fram element. My original thought was proven....The reproduction is taller and by over an 1/8"....Not surprised, they cannot even produce an air filter right, lol...The older fram element on the car. Which is the later "black style" matched the correct orange style element...

This rare orange element will only be used when the car is shown.....

IMG_1565.jpg
IMG_1566.JPG
IMG_1567.JPG
IMG_1568.JPG

Justin, I have a quick question.

I noticed you reference the use of Boeshield to treat natural steel throughout your restoration. I’m not familiar with this product so I’m curious what benefits it may have over something like the RPM product that ECS and others sell?
Anthony,

I know Dave personally....Several of his products are on my build. All of his products are top notch high quality items.....

Through the years I have tried many rust inhibiting solutions.....From clear coat to Boeshield and everything mostly in between. Bare metal finishes have certain finishes that are very hard to recreate and to maintain. From cast look, heat treated, bare steel etc. What I needed was a product that would not alter the finish in any way. Be it a wet look or changing the appearance and longevity....

When deciding what to use for the GTX. I wanted something better than what I used previously. So I did a real world test with several products. I used lower shocks plates blasted to bare metal, cleaned properly and coated. All sat outside for 7 full days on the ground. Btw the ground was not dry. All products failed but one by the end of the seventh day(most failed by day 3). Boeshield made it a full seven days with zero surface rust. Now that was on the ground imagine on the car in a climate controlled garage!

However, the drawback is if your hands are sweaty and you handle the item then you will have some surface rust appear. This happens during restoration and cleaning...So what do you do when that happens...Just simply spray it with the can or wipe with a soaked rag....You do not have the clean the area and reapply it...

Wondering where I heard about this stuff.....The most **** corvette guy I know told me I was an idiot if I didn't use it on my type of build....lol....He was very curious about my test and gave me the, "I told you so" remark....

Again, use whatever is out there but I am going to use what I believe works beautifully for my build...It was a tested personal choice...

Justin

Last edited:
Anthony,

I know Dave personally....Several of his products are on my build. All of his products are top notch high quality items.....

Through the years I have tried many rust inhibiting solutions.....From clear coat to Boeshield and everything mostly in between. Bare metal finishes have certain finishes that are very hard to recreate and to maintain. From cast look, heat treated, bare steel etc. What I needed was a product that would not alter the finish in any way. Be it a wet look or changing the appearance and longevity....

When deciding what to use for the GTX. I wanted something better than what I used previously. So I did a real world test with several products. I used lower shocks plates blasted to bear metal, cleaned properly and coated. All sat outside for 7 full days on the ground. Btw the ground was not dry. All products failed but one by the end of the seventh day(most failed by day 3). Boeshield made it a full seven days with zero surface rust. Now that was on the ground imagine on the car in a climate controlled garage!

However, the drawback is if your hands are sweaty and you handle the item then you will have some surface rust appear. This happens during restoration and cleaning...So what do you do when that happens...Just simply spray it with the can or wipe with a soaked rag....You do not have the clean the area and reapply it...

Wondering where I heard about this stuff.....The most **** corvette guy I know told me I was an idiot if I didn't use it on my type of build....lol....He was very curious about my test and gave me the, "I told you so" remark....

Again, use whatever is out there but I am going to use what I believe works beautifully for my build...It was a tested personal choice...

Justin

Wow! That's great information. I'm going to get some and start using it. What do you find works best for you? The aerosol can or in the gallon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back