• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For the Love for my Father, My 69 GTX Restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's easy to get wrapped in a knot over this stuff, but it'll just a memory when it's done and you can enjoy it. There have been countless times I wanted to say F-it and quit. But a little later I'm back at it again. Guess I don't know any better or just refuse to let something get the better of me. Looking forward to the first pictures of the maiden voyage!

It's easy to get wrapped in a knot over this stuff, but it'll just a memory when it's done and you can enjoy it. There have been countless times I wanted to say F-it and quit. But a little later I'm back at it again. Guess I don't know any better or just refuse to let something get the better of me. Looking forward to the first pictures of the maiden voyage!
Tim

Very true...I too cannot let anything get the nest of me as well.......

Still awaiting the rear bumper before taking it for a stroll.....Now I have moved it with its own power back and forth in the garage...lol...if that counts...

I will know more in mid January but until then I cannot post any full pictures or video of the car completed. If that does come to fruition...Well, you will have to wait till we shake hands in person:realcrazy:

Justin

Whatever you do J, DO NOT put the speckles in the floor coating. You will be take more time finding small parts/nuts and bolts than installing them DAMHIK
Good point...After reading your post I was remembering that very problem....I put the torsion bars in and then went to put the spring clip in the back of one side....and ping...it took flight, somewhere....I spent about an hour trying to find that and thing....

Your correct you can't see amongst the speckles...

Steering wheel looks great. Reminded me of the one I bought back in '88 - NOS also...paid $200, and there was a line of people ready to shell out if I didn't grab it.
$200 back in 88 for a steering wheel, darn I paid $400 for a NOS 1970 Challenger S/E with steering wheel. :D

Aside from cutting the Banana trees down today and slicing my finger in the process, lol....I did some "major" work to the GTX this evening....

Replaced the rear aftermarket drums with the NOS ones.....First time the drums have been off in about 6 months or so...Everything is staying rust free, thanks to Boeshield! So I coated everything again. I doubt the drums will be off again:D

The rounds clips came from Bill Rolik. Originally, these were placed on the drums at the factory. So the obvious wouldn't happen while going down the assembly line. 2 clips per side. Yes, they can be removed and reused.

IMG_1597.JPG
IMG_1598.JPG
IMG_1599.JPG
IMG_1600.JPG
IMG_1601.JPG
IMG_1602.JPG
IMG_1604.JPG

The first four pics are comparing the NOS to the Aftermarket.....Nothing special because it is obvious but the dimensions for both match....

IMG_1605.JPG
IMG_1606.JPG
IMG_1607.JPG
IMG_1608.JPG
IMG_1609.JPG
IMG_1610.JPG

When you get to "happy" spraying Boeshield you can make a boo boo like I did and soaked the dana rear axle tag....Oopps, it happens but easy to replaced especially since it got soaked, lol....Yes, a judge would ding me on that....So I got a replacement and below is the dry tag....I need to control my rust prevention happiness:p

IMG_1613.JPG

When you get to "happy" spraying Boeshield you can make a boo boo like I did and soaked the dana rear axle tag....Oopps, it happens but easy to replaced especially since it got soaked, lol....Yes, a judge would ding me on that....So I got a replacement and below is the dry tag....I need to control my rust prevention happiness:p

View attachment 550247

Thankfully it was just a sticker and not a big deal fix. You the man!

Last edited:
The first four pics are comparing the NOS to the Aftermarket.....Nothing special because it is obvious but the dimensions for both match....

I have a memory that the face of the drums were painted red, at least for my 70 Road Runner (I did that when I restored mine). Did 69's get this?

Inquiring minds want to know... :D

As always, great work on the car!

BTW, rust prevention is always good! .... so It's okay to get extra happy.

You keep showing us beautiful work as usual. Your GTX looks like a brand new car rolling off the assembly line for the first time.

Last edited:
I have a memory that the face of the drums were painted red, at least for my 70 Road Runner (I did that when I restored mine). Did 69's get this?

Inquiring minds want to know... :D

As always, great work on the car!
Hawk

You would be correct if it came with magnums.....Steel wheels did not get the performance red treatment to the drums...Magnums and honeycombs got the red treatment to the drums. It was to add to the performance look and to keep from seeing a rusty drum through the wheel after some drive time...

Thanks for the compliments!

Justin

Hawk

You would be correct if it came with magnums.....Steel wheels did not get the performance red treatment to the drums...Magnums and honeycombs got the red treatment to the drums. It was to add to the performance look and to keep from seeing a rusty drum through the wheel after some drive time...

Thanks for the compliments!

Justin

I love it when this happens - we were both right!!! :)

(Thanks for the details!)

Rust prevention is always good.... so It's okay to get extra happy.

Good thing you found Boeshield
Tom

Thanks to the vette guys if where that was found....You know I used to tighten bolts like "superman" and that got broken literally long ago...So my new habit is to be spray "happy" with Boeshield, lol...It is a nice product all the way around.....

I do find intrest in the Corrosive XD link you posted earlier...I would be interested in testing that out but I won't change what I am using currently.....At some point in the future I will put liquid cosmoline on everything for permanency.....maybe...

Justin

Yes I know. Its sounds like a very good product.

View attachment 550266
I bet it is similar to clear cosmoline.....Clear cosmoline changes the sheen of the surface....

I would be curious to see....I only compare to CC because the reviews state it goes on thick...

Just not willing to blow 20 bucks for just a test.....You can buy it on Amazon btw...

You should buy a can of it and try it out and report the results with pics...

Thankfully it was just a sticker and not a big deal fix. You the man!
Make that a $13.50 fix, Ouch!.....Keep in mind 50% came off easily but the other half the top layer tore of and a finger nail and some time came into play...Cannot use any remover ect because I do not want to remove paint or show it was meddled with....

With some time it was tediously removed....The easy part was the replacement...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back