• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For the Love for my Father, My 69 GTX Restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow! That's great information. I'm going to get some and start using it. What do you find works best for you? The aerosol can or in the gallon?
I have not tried the gallon. Which in hindsight I would have because the only issue with the aerosol is after they are used they lose pressure. A gallon can you could fill a cheap sprayer and once the sprayer went bad just simply replace it....Be sure to wear a mask when spraying a lot it produces a fine mist....

All I need it for currently is for maintenance ect and an aerosol covers that well....

Also get the "Rust Free" in case any surface rust develops...

Good point on the Gallon....Thanks for bringing that up!

Today I received the Driver side roof rail weatherstrip. This came from a member here Moparparts Don at Wolfies's Cars. I have used Don multiple times for my project for some key parts. He knows the parts extremely well and has tons of parts. I highly recommend him for anything from bolts to parts etc.

I have to give Don special props because he spent a lot of time to find this part amongst the many he had to chose from. He sent me plenty of picks to view and to make a decision on the best one. Once one was narrowed down he sent more pics of just that part. Man I have to say how respectable that is for him to do this because time is money. He is 100% for the hobby and the hobbyists!

Don thanks my friend much appreciated!

This is actually a used roof rail piece if you can believe that. It could literally be passed off as NOS almost. This is the PN for the driver side. On the top side of the two weatherstrips there is a moulding number as well. I left that out of the earlier post about the passenger side strip. The numbers are different on the "A" pillar pieces and the tails are reversible(but the passenger side has 2 numbers?) when they mated the two together for each side...

Soon I will be putting them on....Anyone want the reproduction roof rails?

IMG_1569.JPG
IMG_1570.JPG
IMG_1571.JPG
IMG_1572.JPG
IMG_1573.JPG
IMG_1574.JPG
IMG_1575.JPG
IMG_1576.JPG

Last edited:
Driver side numbers:
Mould # 2838651
PN # 2838643
A pillar half # 643(equates to PN)

Passenger Side Numbers:
Mould # 2838650
PN # 2838642
A pillar # 650 and 642(equates to mould # and PN)

The passenger side only has 2 numbers on each half.....

IMG_1577.JPG
IMG_1578.JPG
IMG_1579.JPG
IMG_1580.JPG
IMG_1581.JPG
IMG_1553.jpg

Thanks Justin, much appreciated for your past and present purchases and for the kind words. Many thanks as well for the research and time you spend documenting correct parts, offering this knowledge to others and for doing such a great job on this restoration. I am glad i stored these parts from a personal collection of parts cars many years ago so i still have them to use if i need them and to help others out with a correct part for their restoration.
Don

Bringing the NOS drums back to life....The process I use with cast items to get the "cast look" I prefer is as follows. I use two methods. One involves phosphoric acid and the other process uses glass beads....It is too cold right night to acid dip because I dip the part in a container outside and not inside then remove the part and douce with baking soda, then wash with ammonia and last wash with soap and water and then mover to the last process....The finishing....

So the glass bead process was utilized for these....I use very very fine beads and blast at a low pressure and it took about 3.5hrs to blast these drum. Reason I do this I do not want to remove any other the original casting looks and features. The next step is the finishing I referred to above. The wonderful wire wheels and a high powered drill. So I go over the whole drum with the wires wheels and polish up. They get very shiny as you can see....Then I shake them with lacquer thinner and wipe and wipe and wipe...Ohh and wipe clean...cast iron is a PITA to clean up....

The main parts of the finishing look is polishing and the heat treatment...I take mapp gas and heat up the drum a lot....this brings out the impurities and removes the shine....resulting in a near cast look. If you do this move the heat around and do not focus in one spot you are slowly heat the metal up to hot...watch the change as you go and stoop when you got the best look....

With the drums warm but not hot I apply Boeshield T9 and that finalized the cast look giving it the "grey" appearance....

ohh on the shoe surface I polished that up with a red scotch brite pad....

After 48 hours applying Boeshield T9 daily I will put the on the X!

##pics below are of the blast and then polish##

Thats one worn out wheel lol

IMG_1556.JPG

IMG_1582.JPG
IMG_1583.JPG
IMG_1584.JPG
IMG_1585.JPG
IMG_1586.JPG
IMG_1587.JPG
IMG_1588.JPG
IMG_1589.JPG
IMG_1590.JPG

Last edited:
Update on the Sue situation.....So I created a CC dispute and after some time it was denied. The reason being that the business provided a receipt that was signed stating, "Items received and work was acceptable to the owner." I realized that prior to submitting the claim but all of the work done one cannot visible see. Upon disassembly there was a lot of mistake, big mistakes...

I debated taking them back but why? So they can screw them up more ans Yes it was my decision to go a different route...

Legendary single tech person looked at the pics and said every problem is due to poor install. During a phone call other things were expressed. The CC company stated if I could get a professional opinion with a companies letterhead then they would resolve the issue completely. In turn I contacted the gentleman from Legendary and he writes back, "I am not fully aware of the situation" and cannot provided any type of letter....

I get the legalities of it all but to outright LIE to my face via email....What a BS company Legendary is.....Why cannot people be honest...Hello, Legendary Guy I have your email? lol....

If a company doesn't want to get involved then say "No, we cannot provide that!" That I completely understand and can live with but do not LIE to me....

When deal with my return/replacement for the rear upper seat back I learned a lot about the operations of Legendary and then this sealed my opinion....That is...All is good when you buy an item and they get paid....that's it....They have gotten to big for their britches....

###I advise everyone when buying covers since Legendary is our main option(and they know this) buy their covers through a vendor as Classic and Year One###

Sorry to hear this. Again it's just sickening that people can't follow instructions or be honest without you standing there over their shoulder.

Sorry to hear this. Again it's just sickening that people can't follow instructions or be honest without you standing there over their shoulder.
Correct...I didn't think I would get anything back but at least tried......

I just cannot stand it when people out right LIE like the guy from Legendary did....The dumb sh## thinks I didnt save his email "knocking" the shotty work done?

WTF

Probably afraid of the consequences if the word gets out.
And I'm sure the shop put that disclaimer on there just like insurance companies do when you cash their check, claiming if you cash the check the claim is settled, period.

When I talked to my interior guy we had a long talk. I told him I was ok if it wasn't done exactly like the factory did it, but it needed to be as good or better when finished compared to OEM, wrinkles, foam, padding, ect.

Probably afraid of the consequences if the word gets out.
And I'm sure the shop put that disclaimer on there just like insurance companies do when you cash their check, claiming if you cash the check the claim is settled, period.
Correct and the loss was my choice....but the teardown exposed a lot....

Correct and the loss was my choice....but the teardown exposed a lot....

They sound like politicians. So Legendary said in the email it was due to shoddy install, but they will not write a letter stating the same opinion? File a cc dispute with them for selling you defective seat covers since it is either one or the other lol.

Oh, and those are the nicest set of brake drums I have ever laid eyes on!

They have gotten to big for their britches....
This happens with some of these outfits. Watch ACC go in this direction. (hopefully not)

I talked with a Legendary sales rep a couple of weeks ago about making two small changes to one of their seat covers that they already manufacturer. His response was almost overwhelming with what they would have to go through (design and development) and my cost and my wait time and no guarantee that they would even fit. I got the impression that they weren't interested in helping me out. I did buy their seat foam, best on the market, for a premium price.

Question on the roof rail weather strip, Is yours glued at the leading edge or is there a metal plate inbedded and you use screws to fasten? My '62 was glued and all of the aftermarket ones have a plate inside. You have to shape the end to fit the contour and then use glue to attach. Just curious to what you have.

OMG.... Your a gluten for punishment!! Screw all that, few dollars at the parts store, bolt them on and drive lol. Just messin:poke:.

I'd love to see the hours in this build tallied up.

Correctly...stated! btw its true, lol....On some parts including these. I fell into the dilemma of "that's enough"....its a freaking drum....Then I would trek through and finish....

On the drums alone I probably spent seven hours from start to finish.....

The damage the tally did if I was able to tally it up probably equates to dog years...lol

In relation to the parts done by me and assembly. It wouldn't surprise me if the hours total between a 500-1000...or more

Justin

Last edited:
They sound like politicians. So Legendary said in the email it was due to shoddy install, but they will not write a letter stating the same opinion? File a cc dispute with them for selling you defective seat covers since it is either one or the other lol.

Oh, and those are the nicest set of brake drums I have ever laid eyes on!
Mark

I have the email confirming such....I would love to go into the return of the rear upper seat back and getting additional foam from Legendary that in itself was the second adventure....I may post that sometime....

I feel like a beaten horse when this came to fruition....I have fought more people and lost a fair amount of money on this build that I am just done fighting with vendors and parts restorers...

Thankfully, the car is basically done and that is where my focus is...

Thanks for the compliments on the drums....this time the wire wheel lost:D

Justin

This happens with some of these outfits. Watch ACC go in this direction. (hopefully not)

I talked with a Legendary sales rep a couple of weeks ago about making two small changes to one of their seat covers that they already manufacturer. His response was almost overwhelming with what they would have to go through (design and development) and my cost and my wait time and no guarantee that they would even fit. I got the impression that they weren't interested in helping me out. I did buy their seat foam, best on the market, for a premium price.

Question on the roof rail weather strip, Is yours glued at the leading edge or is there a metal plate inbedded and you use screws to fasten? My '62 was glued and all of the aftermarket ones have a plate inside. You have to shape the end to fit the contour and then use glue to attach. Just curious to what you have.
Kidd

These only one vendors need some competition......That's the first problem....The second is now they have grown bigger and changed into a dept and another dept blah blah....They are providers of something we cannot get elsewhere and we made X number orders each month....That's it....As you pointed out proves that....A simple response would have been we thank you for that information and will see what we can do and secondly we can do that now but it would be a custom order....Versus a long winded waste your time comment simply saying, "not interested we don't make a profit."....

Legendary has lost focus with the customers IMHO....Then where else do we go?

What the early Mopars? I see more and more getting restored but I see nothing interior wise be produced? Do they not reach out to customers or log calls when people call in for those items, go to shows and see, or even watch the forums....Again, lost focus to the customer base and only interested in the Bowtie crowd....

The end that goes on the "A" pillar is glued over the screw for 68-70....The top of the weatherstrip received some glue when in was placed in the channel....The edges are not glues but the snap into the channel to hold in place. Personally, I only glue the end over the screw and the channel holds the weatherstrip tight....No one would know it unless they pulled on that.

I am about to replace mine soon and if you want I can take detailed pictures again of the install and post here...

Justin

Correctly...stated btw its true, lol....On some parts including these I fell into the dilemma that's enough....its a freaking drum....Then I would trek through and finish....

On the drums alone I probably spent seven hours from start to finish.....

The damage the tally did if I was able to tally it up probably equates to dog years...lol

In relation to the parts I did and assembly it wouldnt surprise me if the hours total between a 500-1000...or more

Justin

1000+ hours easily...but that is not the part that matters...what matters is, it was done perfectly and with love.

55721702.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back