• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Found a rough 69 383 and 727 for $250 locally…deal or pass?

TexasRoadRunner68

Local time
12:05 PM
Reaction score
Seems like it might be a deal. I have seen some rough blocks clean up. This one is still mated to a 727.

It’s a short drive out. I don’t need a 383, but for the right price I’d take a spare…

deal or no deal?

69A05FA9-A85A-4AC7-92A1-517F652E35CA.jpeg

972678E0-48D1-41EA-97C8-52785363A86C.jpeg

41C8C78D-F5B9-4A13-9D11-4B5774C0EF5D.jpeg

$100 as is. Have them pull the heads off and if it's not rusted together and it turns. $250. Open intake, no valve covers, in Dallas, might be a boat anchor. Might not.

Early 69 block and transmission if it is also is a deal if an any sort of shape internally. Guys are looking for date correct ones all the time. Whats $250 now? A tank of gas in the truck?

With the price of OEM parts even if the internals are shot you'd still make a profit selling it off in pcs.

Get the numbers and post them. Might be someone's engine they're looking for.

Unless you're going to build it out, why even deal with tripping over it in your garage for the next 10 years. But, if you want to build it, it's always a fun challenge. 69' year tickles the cool factor...of course doing most, if not all the work yourself, except the machine work, would keep cost down. Bore .40 and stroke it, and put it in something. Sell cleaned up heads, intake and trans. Get $300 back...pay $150-$200 tops. In Dallas, good chance it never saw a freeze, so probably not cracked...just my .02 :)

Probably worth it for the transmission alone if you ever need a spare. If the block is toast maybe the steel crank finds a home in a 400.

Maybe $100. BB trans core is nice, I'm not sure if that one will have any HD internals though. Block is likely bad, rubber on the harmonic balancer likely bad, valves in heads likely seized. Not worth $250 unless you're a restorer-foamer looking for a date code on an intake manifold and can use 1 or 2 other trinkets off it.

Plugs are in it and the rockers are off. It could be ok.
Oil pressure sender looks to be for a gauge not a dummy light. Maybe a truck?
Water pump housing.
Distributor
Steel crank
Transmission
Connecting rods

All parts for other builds. I would buy it........I already have a few like it.

Talk him out of the small block beside it too to sweeten the deal.

I would grab it. There are only so many left out there. The trans is worth that as a core. Even if the engine is junk you can still probably salvage the intake, oil pan, some brackets etc.

If it wasn't covered PASS. I bought car and cover blew off, rain in engine cracked block.

Unless you're going to build it out, why even deal with tripping over it in your garage for the next 10 years. But, if you want to build it, it's always a fun challenge. 69' year tickles the cool factor...of course doing most, if not all the work yourself, except the machine work, would keep cost down. Bore .40 and stroke it, and put it in something. Sell cleaned up heads, intake and trans. Get $300 back...pay $150-$200 tops. In Dallas, good chance it never saw a freeze, so probably not cracked...just my .02 :)
Uh....Dallas has freezes just about every winter and sometimes it's bad like it was in just about the whole state a couple of winters ago.

And @TexasRoadRunner68 if you got the expendable income, go for it but I'd try to get the price lower. The trans is probably good if no water got in through the dipstick hole. Do you know why it was laid to rot in the first place and how long it's been exposed to the elements? I might try to roll it over and see how much water pours out......and since oil floats, it'll come out first most likely.

Maybe $100. BB trans core is nice, I'm not sure if that one will have any HD internals though. Block is likely bad, rubber on the harmonic balancer likely bad, valves in heads likely seized. Not worth $250 unless you're a restorer-foamer looking for a date code on an intake manifold and can use 1 or 2 other trinkets off it.
What is the average going rate for a core Big Block 727 anyway?

What is the average going rate for a core Big Block 727 anyway?
I had a guy lined up at 200 the other day. But then he got scared when he talked to some trans rebuilders.
I got to thinking maybe 250 is more in line at this day and age.

I had a guy lined up at 200 the other day. But then he got scared when he talked to some trans rebuilders.
I got to thinking maybe 250 is more in line at this day and age.
Have no idea what a 727 core is around here these day but do have one. Long gone are the 50 and 75 dollar cores.....

Try to turn it over and put a boroscope camera in a few cylinders, or pull a head. If this was stored outside for years would be doubtful that it would be worth it unless you have a lot of garage space. But even 383 blocks are harder to find now, especially in TX. The trans is probably fine as a core. The last 727 I bought in this condition was for $25 dollars in 2015. Check it over and make an offer. For context I bought a 69 hp 383 that was running for 500 dollars a few years ago, I'm sure you can negotiate in person with cash for a lower price considering the way it was stored.

At these prices I need to pull a bunch of cores off the shelves and sell them!

I would bet $100 that it is locked up tight. No valve covers, intake bolts missing, no exhaust manifolds. Water has become very familiar with a few of those bores. And that's assuming it wasn't locked up when it was dumped there.

If you can get the old slugs out it will have to be bored out. What casting revision number? The higher the number, the bigger the core shift can be.

We all like to save this stuff but I'll bet that block is scrap. Out in the weather and chances are the pistons will be seized in the bores. I had a 400 that was stored in a non heated building here in PA and the cylinder walls were cracked. Unsure if from pounding out pistons but it was scrap. All that said, I agree the trans could be worth the deal. What the heck, go for it! ruffcut

Auto Transport Service
Back