• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Found oil leak, distributor - anyone know ?

pearljam724

Local time
6:45 AM
Reaction score
Found my oil leak. For a few days I was fearing it was the main seal. It’s distributor. Probably needs a new o-ring. I know it needs a proper gasket. Someone else used silicone and it’s not sealing very good. Hold down bolt, is plenty tight.
Can a original distributor be removed from a small block 69 Coronet without removing the hood ? Based on looking at it mounted. I believe it can. I would like to know for sure before I try it. If no one knows for sure and they have an original small block distributor around. I’d really appreciate a measurement from the spot it mounts to the block, to the tip of the shaft. This will give me a good idea how much clearance I need if no one knows for sure. Also, just to confirm. The oil pump drive should remain where it needs to be once I pull the distributor out, correct ? I realize what I have to do to reinstall the distributor. Just not sure if the oil pump drive will stay in there or come out with distributor ? If it does come with it, I expect not having the clearance then.

I point the rotor at the firewall so I remember where it was without any markings. A big truck shop or a place that deals with hydrolics might have one that will work. It's painfull to pay $10 for a $2 seal is when it don't fit!!! Finally have a dry engine thanks to SUPERPERFORMCE gaskets.I get them from MARSH performance http://www.mopartsracing.com/,call him about the o-ring as well.:thumbsup:

Thank you for the reference on the parts. So, you pulled it out with your hood still on ?

Shouldn’t be a problem especially with cap off.

I just found a video of a guy removing one, plenty of room it appears. Like you stated, especially with cap off.

Auto Transport Service
Back