• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Francois Castaing - Chrysler Engineer - Won't be down...

GrabberOrange69

Local time
6:02 AM
Reaction score
"Francois Castaing, who engineered the Dodge Viper, helped take Jeep from a niche off-road brand to a major market presence, and helped lead Chrysler during what was its last great renaissance in the 1990s, has passed away at the age of 78.
Along the way, Castaing was instrumental in creating the fabulous Dodge Viper, a sports/muscle car conceived by Bob Lutz and designed by Tom Gale in what would be the glory days of Chrysler in America. In that era, million-dollar Chrysler and Jeep concept cars seemed to adorn every major car show all over the world.
Castaing retired in 2000, serving on many boards of directors, as well as being elected a member of the US National Academy of Engineering and a fellow of the Society of Automotive Engineers. He served on boards as diverse as the Detroit Science Center and Reynard Motorsport. He was inducted into the Automotive Hall of Fame in 2010.
Francois Castaing in his Chrysler office in Highland Park in May 1988. He played a leading role in developing and engineering Chrysler's biggest hits of the 1990s such as the company's three minivans, the Dodge Ram and Viper, the Neon and multiple Jeeps."

Frank Castaing.jpg

Chrysler Engineer Francois Castaing Has Died,1945-2023

No fresh Dodge or Chrysler cars in how many years (decades)? They can keep their europeon crap I'll tell you that. My next new stuff will most likely be Ford I think.

R.I.P. François

Last edited:
R.I.P. Francois! At least you got out before the EV nuts ruined the remainder of the old Chrysler Corp.

R.I.P. Francois Castaing! Many good things came from your ideas. I don't think Bob Lutz had higher praise for anyone else in his books. One of the brightest parts of the AMC acquisition.

Auto Transport Service
Back