• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Freaking wind!

We're good to at least 80mph (proven!) up here on the ridge for all the structures I've put up over
the years...all of it anchored at least 3' down in concrete, either in pilings and/or footers.
(The garage is pre-engineered to "hurricane-level" winds).
You learn not to just "set" structures in these ridges, lest they become big-arsed parachutes
come stormy season. :)

SE NM. Gusts to 70 mph Saturday. Lost a
bunch of shingles off the roof. Halted work
on diagnosis of some engine problems.
Lots of sand/dust blowing around.
Hang in there, Cranky. After this it's gonna
get really hot.

It's been really windy here in Missouri. My house sits high and catches the wind all day long, along with driving rain, I'm done!!

I've lived and worked outside in Wyoming, Montana, North Dakota, and South Dakota my whole life. The weather is always odd and unpredictable. There is a lot of wind, consistent enough that wind power is economically feasible, but this year's wind is odd. There is more of it and at higher speeds. I've always thought owning wind chargers would make me like the wind better and I have been thinking about them lately. I've noticed because it seems the sunny days at 40 or 50 degrees that would be great to work in have a 35 mph wind with gusts of 50 or more, making a wind chill of 30 and colder. I've tired of it whistling down my neck, I'm tired of Winter. We just had 75 mph gusts and it wasn't the first time this year.
I've begun drawings of a charger that can't be denied by the City or County.

Had 70mph gusts here on Friday and couldn't see more than a mile or two at most. Plus it seems like the whole dang state is on fire. Think they said we have 20 wildfires going on right now!

My roof lost lots of shingles. Insurance check is on the way!!

Better watch out if I pass wind !
upload_2022-4-25_21-43-27.jpeg
I'm told that's treacherous !

Watching the roof of my 25x25 shopcar port bouncing up and down making me wonder what's in store come late Monday. Slow moving front coming in and it's been windy for dang nearly a week now. The carport is tied down but most trailer houses are too....
If you want the wind to stop put out some duck decoys in your yard. Works every time.
If you hunt you will understand this.

If you want the wind to stop put out some duck decoys in your yard. Works every time.
If you hunt you will understand this.
To keep live ducks away? lol. Never hunted ducks but know a few and never heard the reason to put out decoys in the yard to stop the wind.

What really blows is the ridiculous estimate
to repair. $17K is nuts for a 1800 sq ft w/
detached garage. The last time I had a roof
done, I paid 2.5K cash. 1992.
That was 30 years ago too. My last roof was replaced under warranty but I had to pay for labor and iirc, it was around 2500....2002

Well, the front came through Monday afternoon right on time....had some pretty good gusts but no damage and got 2" of rain in a fairly short time. The rain was welcomed however.

Yesterday was the 11-year anniversary of the historic "mother of all tornado storms" that swept through
Alabama, Tennessee, Virginia and Georgia (amongst other places) and killed a lot of folks.
Nothing like it ever before and thank God, not since...
In my region alone, over 50 tornados were on the ground at once at one point!

Thankfully, this particular part of the state (with its' ridges and peaks) doesn't ever see tornados
(we've only had one recorded in the last 50 years in this county, for example) but directly below
us along the I-81 corridor, it got freaking NUTS...

I remember that night well, as the wife and I both were involved with the Red Cross then.
(I'm an amateur weather nut anyways, so I was quite the busy beaver at that point anyways...)
As these storms rolled in late in the evening, we jumped in the truck and hauled *** down towards Newport
right after the first of the twisters hit down along the NC border - only to find ourselves in FRONT of
the next one, coming up right behind us!
These things were literally rolling up the I-81 corridor right behind one another like commuters...

I saw destruction that night the likes of which I pray never to see again (and yes, several casualties also).
We spent the next several days helping best we could - there were literally dozens of volunteers
doing their thing to help (it is the Volunteer state, after all).
I've never seen a storm remove an asphalt road before - that was just unfathomable for me.
Down at Camp Creek, TN, a half dozen perished and everything - trees, buildings, you name it - was
leveled, flattened like pancakes.

Never happened before in this part of the country - and I pray it never does again - but thank the Lord,
these ridges I've chosen to live in the last 30 years are natural breaks against such things.

To keep live ducks away? lol. Never hunted ducks but know a few and never heard the reason to put out decoys in the yard to stop the wind.
I've hunted waterfowl for more than 30 years
and have never heard of setting decoys in
the yard to stop the wind.
Me on the left, guiding a hunt for two guys
from Sweeden.
20220428_210212.jpg

Last edited:
It's been really windy here in Missouri. My house sits high and catches the wind all day long, along with driving rain, I'm done!!
We sit in a valley. Most of the worst goes over or around us. Antanea TV and cell phone coverage pretty much the same. We get a lot of oh wait for it something just passed over some where moments.

Well, the front came through Monday afternoon right on time....had some pretty good gusts but no damage and got 2" of rain in a fairly short time. The rain was welcomed however.
We got rocked pretty well in Herford two weeks ago.
From our travels in Texas it wind, tumble weed or your just not going to like it anyway. Beautiful country if one can stand the weather.

Wind at Willow Springs last Thursday was a pia. South Bay Santa Clara Valley weather here is just right.

Auto Transport Service
Back