• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Freeze Out Plug Sealant?

You will still have leakers with the 3M and Indian head products. It doesn't have proper lubricating properties for "Core Plug" installation so the plugs gall and create paths that will leak. Also, those products do not seal a bad block "Core Plug" hole effectively. RTV of ANY kind is not the correct product to use on "Core Plugs" and will not seal them correctly. I used to have leakers ~30% of the time until I started using Lock Tite 540 which IS a "Core Plug" sealant and was designed to aid installation of the plugs and sealing imperfections in the parent bore. You have to get the plug installed because it cures fast. Wait about 5 minutes and tap it with the hammer and it sounds dead solid as the sealer has cured. This stuff is awesome, but it carries an AWESOME price! I can only find it at one place and they get $200 - $300 for a 250ml bottle which seems to be the only available size. So, I get that regular people are not going to run out and buy some, but was just passing on some experience and advise on this issue...

LT540.jpg

You will still have leakers with the 3M and Indian head products. It doesn't have proper lubricating properties for "Core Plug" installation so the plugs gall and create paths that will leak. Also, those products do not seal a bad block "Core Plug" hole effectively. RTV of ANY kind is not the correct product to use on "Core Plugs" and will not seal them correctly. I used to have leakers ~30% of the time until I started using Lock Tite 540 which IS a "Core Plug" sealant and was designed to aid installation of the plugs and sealing imperfections in the parent bore. You have to get the plug installed because it cures fast. Wait about 5 minutes and tap it with the hammer and it sounds dead solid as the sealer has cured. This stuff is awesome, but it carries an AWESOME price! I can only find it at one place and they get $200 - $300 for a 250ml bottle which seems to be the only available size. So, I get that regular people are not going to run out and buy some, but was just passing on some experience and advise on this issue...

View attachment 1320840

Thanks for the intel. Since I think I can get to the plug I will try one more attempt and if it leaks again I have seen this for $99 as a last resort.

Thank you

The lettering and pic of a bearing alluding to it being a "Sleeve/Brng retainer are misleading to say the least. The text says that it is a "Cup/Core Plug " Sealant, and is actually a blue liquid and not green. Just info for ID purposes...

So the Mopar gods were with me this morning. I smacked the plug in a bit more cause I felt it didn’t look like it could go in more and the leak stopped. I will continue to monitor it.

Thanks for the replies since it could leak later again and I have some options to use. I had just enough room to swing a hammer when I turned the pitman arm away.

So far so good

View attachment 1320840
Good info. It's cheaper at this site, but still pricey. LOCTITE 540 Core Plug Sealant, 250 mL Bottle, Blue (1/BO)

A heat cycle (running the engine until operating temp) can work wonders for freeze plugs that don't initially seal.

I've never used any type of sealant in about 38 years.
If I was to use something it would be a product like "Copper Coat".

You didn't say what style of plugs you used.
I've found the brass plugs that are thin walled and deep are much easier to install and much less prone to leaking.

A heat cycle (running the engine until operating temp) can work wonders for freeze plugs that don't initially seal.

I've never used any type of sealant in about 38 years.
If I was to use something it would be a product like "Copper Coat".

You didn't say what style of plugs you used.
I've found the brass plugs that are thin walled and deep are much easier to install and much less prone to leaking.

They are the brass plugs and you’re right. They do install easier. I tried stainless and bagged that idea. I was smacking so hard and it wouldn’t start. I went for the brass ones.

Thanks

I have had with oil pans leaking afterwards. This time I decided to use the performance felpro gaskets that are reinforced. I bought them at summit. I used two gaskets because I have a windage tray and had to fish out some longer bolts because the gaskets are thicker. I topped it off with the Right Stuff and it was easy to use because of the dispenser type container. Just have to work fast. No leaks so far. I used the same performance gaskets for the valve covers with Right Stuff. No leaks. Those stamped covers are a nuisance to seal. No more cork for me.
Those are the gaskets that use. I’ve used superformance gaskets before. They are nice but not any better than those fel-pros.

Auto Transport Service
Back