• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Freeze plugs

Moparmatt72

Local time
10:44 PM
Reaction score
Does anyone else have issues with these? The motor has been built for a little while, just got everything ready to finally start it and when I was filling the coolant system the back two freeze plugs both banks started to seep. Banged them out, installed new thicker ones and it's still seeps enough to drop on the floor. Baffled at this, had the block sonic tested before rebuilding it and no cracks what so ever so not sure, never leaked before prior to rebuild. Any suggestions? Oh the motor is a 440 bored over .060, had to to clean the rust on the walls from sitting for a long time.

Did you use any type of sealer on them ? I always use sealer on the sides like Mopar gray RTV as it works good for me or the yellow glue we call Gorilla snot. Yea thats what we always called it. But I never have leeaks like that I make sure the sides of the hole are real clean in the block also. Ron

Yea think I'll go down and get some of that orange high temp sealer. Normally never had to use some, yea called it gorilla shot as well lol thanks

Have you ran the engine?

Sometimes it takes a few heat cycles to get them to seal up.

Are they brass or steel?

You didn't nick the bores or anything?

I've never had to use sealer.

I always use Permatex #2 non hardening sealer. Every machinist I've ever known also uses it on freeze plugs.

Have you ran the engine?

Sometimes it takes a few heat cycles to get them to seal up.

Are they brass or steel?

You didn't nick the bores or anything?

I've never had to use sealer.

Nope haven't ran the engine yet, they are brass, I always use the brass ones. That could be it just need to run the motor.

Yea think I'll go down and get some of that orange high temp sealer. Normally never had to use some, yea called it gorilla shot as well lol thanks

No it was Gorilla Snot not shot. LoL !! But yes thats what we called it as it was yellow in color. But any good automotive sealer should work. I have always done it just to be sure it wont leak. But as was said many times a few heat cycles will also do it. Good luck , Ron

I've always used a thin coat of the Permatex #2 also....

Auto Transport Service
Back