• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Freezing pilot bushing

nutz4spd

Local time
7:17 AM
Reaction score
Would it do any damage to the bushing if I left it in the freezer over night?

Up in my neighborhood it used to get down as low as -40* and tens of thousands of people would drive their standard transmission vehicles to work on those cold mornings!
Mike

I do it all the time.

With the bushing being made of a soft metal, I didn't know if the freezing would weaken it any. I've already split one of these trying to install it.

Is the crank bore finished ID for the bushing or still rough undersize? Have never cracked one in the 48 years I've turned wrenches on these things..

There was a bushing in there so I assume it has been finished. Although the crank ID seems a lot smaller than the bushing OD to me. I'll measure them in a bit.

Maybe this drawing can help you.............

The ID in the crank measures .913 and the room temp bushing OD is .940. Even the frozen bushing OD is still .940 so that didn't make a difference. Glad I picked three of these up. It's going to be along Saturday...

Last edited:
Well your bushing is the correct size at least. As I expected your crank was never finished bored for a standard trans bushing. Turn the bushing down to 0.925

Well your bushing is the correct size at least. As I expected your crank was never finished bored for a standard trans bushing. Turn the bushing down to 0.925
Any suggestions on how? The machine shop here is closed on the weekends.

The ID in the crank measures .923 and the room temp bushing OD is .940. Even the frozen bushing OD is still .940 so that didn't make a difference. Glad I picked three of these up. It's going to be along Saturday...

I fully agree with @dadsbee. A .017" press is WAY too much, you'll ruin the bushing trying to get it in. A .0015" - .002" press is spot on, IMHO.

Any suggestions on how? The machine shop here is closed on the weekends.
I'd put it in my lathe and do one 1/2, turn it around and do the other. Find a long bolt to fit the ID that just allows the bushing to spin. Hold each end of the bolt, with gloves, and let the bushing spin and sand down on a belt sander.

Got it in! I put it on my drill press, since I don't have a belt sander, and used that to spin the bushing while I held some sand paper to it. Thanks for the tips dadsbee!

20240413_153959.jpg

I just use one of these instead. It installs in the end of the crank and we’re used in Dakota’s.

IMG_0249.png

Auto Transport Service
Back