• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Front Brake Hose look alright?? Conversion kit questions???

Islandkent

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:46 PM
Reaction score
I knew I would have a bunch of questions when putting this thing together. I've checked and apparently my kit more or less is from a 76 A-body. The Caliper and hoses are anyway the best I can tell. Cross referencing auto part sites. So does my front brake hose look alright? Not to tight? Right orientation at the banjo fitting. Seems kind of tight to me but I think it's just me. I don't have my center link, tie rod ends and steering box on yet. So I can't go lock to lock yet.
So what do you all think??

front hose 3.jpg

front hose 1.jpg

front hose 4.jpg

front hose 2.jpg

I would think the hose should not have that upward angle but instead have a 90 degree fitting at the caliper to aim the hose laterally back toward the rear or slightly toward the frame rail.

Last edited:
I know what you mean Greg. I think the same way. Even one with just the banjo fitting that you could turn in that general direction. I knew I would be having trouble with this kit. Bought it back in 17. Never really looked at just to see if it was all there. The rear hose to the rear end was the wrong size at the fitting. Right length wrong thread. Anyway that being said those are the hoses for a A-body. I looked to see what they have for the Aspen and it is just the banjo on the end of the hose same length. But going to see what you guys all think. Maybe- maybe not overthinking it??
Oh by the way. Does those picture seem to tell the tale? Easy to see my dilemma ??

I think the hose should should be horizontal, as mentioned, and cross the spindle centerline and face forward. I had to do that with my rear mounted calipers. If you mounted the calipers to the front and have the hose facing back, it might work, with your original hose mount. It is critical you get it right. Test it at all points of steering and suspension travel.

Rear mounted calipers. Hence if the pictures are clear of this.

front hose 5.jpg

As R/T Boy 67 mentioned when properly designed the brake hose should cross the steering axis centerline... That cancels the length variations caused by the wheels turning to steer making the suspension travel the main length of travel concern....

And yes the hose sticking up like that is wrong...

I've tried both ways. Up like in the above pictures and also down.

brake hose 1.jpg

brake hose 2.jpg

I would be concerned about how close it would be to the UCA during turns with the hose routed upwards.

Like I said, those brake lines and calipers are for a 73-76 A body. I have some old mags that say that was the perfect swap set up. Maybe not the hoses??
Anybody looking have those type of hoses?

Like I said, those brake lines and calipers are for a 73-76 A body.
Those cars mounted the calipers forward of center line. I always flipped them to the back side and used a different brake hose. The brakes performed the same but rear mount looks neater to me.

Last edited:
Those cars mounted the calipers forward of center line. I always flipped them to the back side and used a different brake hose. The brakes performed the snow but rear mount looks neater to me.
Huh?? :poke: :poke: :lol:

I rarely proofread on the computer but I really should when posting from the friggin phone. Bullshit autocorrect and tiny screen… that is responsible for 99% of my errors.

I rarely proofread on the computer but I really should when posting from the friggin phone. Bullshit autocorrect and tiny screen… that is responsible for 99% of my errors.
Oh, I know it... Just poking fun cause I can... I do it all the time, between auto correct & fat fingers I screw up more than I should.. I should slow down & proof read but then again there's a lot of things I should do..... :lol:

This is a 69 Coronet with 1973-76 A body knuckles, calipers and brackets.

D0CC5C29-8643-4E3F-9A77-3C83778D4B15.jpeg

Note the angle of the hose. These calipers are forward mounted.

EB29D384-85F7-4AB1-A141-833F6F0AC59F.jpeg

That was on this car we’re doing a 5 speed swap into. Almost done, too.

2D92EACE-A9F1-445A-881A-90635946E145.jpeg

B56278A4-9FAF-4E25-84D4-8E213F20D5AD.jpeg

Yeah, I connected the dots... Not get out and burn some rubber...

Auto Transport Service
Back