• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Front brakes will not bleed

69 hemibee

Local time
2:40 PM
Reaction score
Wrapping up the restore on the bee and bleed the back brakes w/no issues but the front will not bleed. I'm getting fluid to the proportional valve (I can crack line and see fluid) but not thru it by evidence of no fluid in the rubber brake line when I crack that open. Every component is new, could a prop valve be bad? This is a disc brake front, rear drum car.

Side note I've seen a few different styles of prop valves some with an additional "metering block" bolted to them. My setup is just the one valve, which I think is correct but truly don't know as nothing was on the car when I bought it. Appreciate the advice in advance.

Last edited:
Try disconnecting the front line(s) from the prop valve open up at the calipers and blow compressed air thru them one side at a time

Often the low pressure piston will slide to close off the circuit preventing fluid flow until you reset it. This is if you have the type with a electrical connection which goes to a dash light and activates when it slides over due to lower pressure in one of the two circuits. It can happen during bleeding. If so, just open one front bleeder and one rear bleeder and press on brake pedal a few times to cause equal pressure in both circuits which will recenter the sliding valve

Often the low pressure piston will slide to close off the circuit preventing fluid flow until you reset it. This is if you have the type with a electrical connection which goes to a dash light and activates when it slides over due to lower pressure in one of the two circuits. It can happen during bleeding. If so, just open one front bleeder and one rear bleeder and press on the brake pedal a few times to cause equal pressure in both circuits which will recenter the sliding valve
Oddly enough the light in the dash is on and red. The pressure equalization does make sense ill try that tomorrow...thanks.

Yes it slid over to close the front circuit. That is how that valve is designed to work.

And theres a tool to assist in bleeding the brakes... You won't find one but you could easily make one.. Or have someone hold the stem in the outward position with a pair of vise grips...

Screen Shot 2021-09-05 at 4.41.48 PM.png

A short piece of banding steel, a die grinder with a cut off wheel & a few minutes will have a serviceable tool..

Auto Transport Service
Back