• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Front drum adjuster piece difference side to side?

Some Car Guy

Local time
12:40 AM
Reaction score
69 GTX, 11” manual adjust drums

My drivers side front won’t adjust to where the wheel has drag, let alone locks. The shoes don’t seem worn enough to cause that. The pass side does better. I pulled them apart and after getting them next to each other they are the same. The FSM says the drivers side should be plated and have an L stamped in it.

is this just an issue of turning it the other way to make it work? It’s been years since I’ve adjusted these and I thought I tried both ways and found the one that made it the tightest.

Originals are marked with a L for left, at least they were in 67. Turning a right side backwards may move the adjusting wheel out of alignment for proper function. Both sides are the same length so you should be able to make the drums engage the shoes regardless. Have you checked your drums for wear?

Passenger side should be right hand threaded & the Drivers side left hand thread.... If that's not the case the the one with incorrect threads can back it's adjustment off....

A quick & simple test, deflect the adjuster cable and the adjuster should move up & catch the next tooth of the adjuster wheel... When ever I'm doing brakes I automatically deflect the cable a few times to make sure it's working & the adjuster is getting longer...

There usually two holes for adjusting you just need have one the opposite way. I like mine so when adjuster goes up it moves shoes out. Think Raybestoes and NAPA make them, Raybestoes are closer to factory.

Make sure the manual adjusters are clean and move freely. Figure out which way they need to turn to lengthen, and go from there. As long as you know which way to turn them it doesn't matter what thread they are. Auto adjusters are a different story, but you don't have them.

Ok I freed up the drivers side one, called around and have a correct one coming just in case. Wheel cylinder felt a little funny on one side. Think I freed it up some. Did what I could today. Going to finish adjusting and bleed it out. Drum already has more drag just with how I set it with the drum off.

thanks guys.

Auto Transport Service
Back