• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Front end alignment

Please don't misunderstand me here.
I do not want to pass along intentionally bad or sloppy habits in regards to tech issues.
I just think that in some cases, the "book" is pretty strict about some matters that actually have a greater manner of gray area where painting outside the lines isn't a death sentence.
More specific:
Alignment adjustments after ride height changes.
It sounds irresponsible and ignorant to completely dismiss the practice of rechecking alignment after a ride height change so that issue needs some clarification.
I am of the belief that a 1 inch change either direction usually doesn't result in a huge change in the alignment. These are not 4 wheel drive trucks where enthusiasts often aim for a 4 or 6 inch lift or the lowered sport truck crowd goes for a 5 or 6 inch drop. The range we often change is usually within 2 inches.
By design, our torsion bar and tie rod equipped cars do exhibit some "bump steer" traits that include some toe change as the suspension moves through the full range of travel. This means that along with caster and camber, the front of the tires move closer or further apart as the suspension goes up and down. TOE is one thing that wears tires out faster than anything. For years, the uneducated enthusiast looked at a car with 1 degree of NEGative camber and warned the driver of immediate inner edge wear that often never came. Radials can tolerate some of this because they flex and move better than Bias Ply tires. A car with zero camber but 1/8" of TOE out will wear the inside edges of the tires far quicker than one with 1 degree of negative camber and 1/8" to TOE in.
The suggestions and claims that I pass along here are most often from direct, personal experience, not from I heard a guy at a car show that said his Uncle thought it was the best.
Lots of well intentioned guys get on these forums and try to help but many of them are passing along what equates to old wive's tales.
Yes, I agree with Pnora. (I am often confused what that screen name is supposed to mean) The factory method for front end alignment begins with setting the ride height to factory specs. Where we differ is right from there. What if you don't want to have the car set to a stock height?
How about those suggestions for setting your ignition timing? The factory service manual has the numbers printed but what if your compression is different from stock? How about the camshaft? Carburetor or EFI? Do you have headers? You surely don't have Ethyl leaded fuel anymore. Once you deviate from 100% stock, the factory settings may not be appropriate.
Tire pressures....The stock 5 1/2" wheels and bias ply tires originally fitted to the car called for tires to be inflated to under 30 psi. The radials just about everyone has call for higher numbers.

One needs to be aware that all factory specs are a great blueprint if the car is 100% stock but once we make changes, the factory methods and numbers may not be right for you.

Please don't misunderstand me here.
I do not want to pass along intentionally bad or sloppy habits in regards to tech issues.
I just think that in some cases, the "book" is pretty strict about some matters that actually have a greater manner of gray area where painting outside the lines isn't a death sentence.
More specific:
Alignment adjustments after ride height changes.
It sounds irresponsible and ignorant to completely dismiss the practice of rechecking alignment after a ride height change so that issue needs some clarification.
I am of the belief that a 1 inch change either direction usually doesn't result in a huge change in the alignment. These are not 4 wheel drive trucks where enthusiasts often aim for a 4 or 6 inch lift or the lowered sport truck crowd goes for a 5 or 6 inch drop. The range we often change is usually within 2 inches.
By design, our torsion bar and tie rod equipped cars do exhibit some "bump steer" traits that include some toe change as the suspension moves through the full range of travel. This means that along with caster and camber, the front of the tires move closer or further apart as the suspension goes up and down. TOE is one thing that wears tires out faster than anything. For years, the uneducated enthusiast looked at a car with 1 degree of NEGative camber and warned the driver of immediate inner edge wear that often never came. Radials can tolerate some of this because they flex and move better than Bias Ply tires. A car with zero camber but 1/8" of TOE out will wear the inside edges of the tires far quicker than one with 1 degree of negative camber and 1/8" to TOE in.
The suggestions and claims that I pass along here are most often from direct, personal experience, not from I heard a guy at a car show that said his Uncle thought it was the best.
Lots of well intentioned guys get on these forums and try to help but many of them are passing along what equates to old wive's tales.
Yes, I agree with Pnora. (I am often confused what that screen name is supposed to mean) The factory method for front end alignment begins with setting the ride height to factory specs. Where we differ is right from there. What if you don't want to have the car set to a stock height?
How about those suggestions for setting your ignition timing? The factory service manual has the numbers printed but what if your compression is different from stock? How about the camshaft? Carburetor or EFI? Do you have headers? You surely don't have Ethyl leaded fuel anymore. Once you deviate from 100% stock, the factory settings may not be appropriate.
Tire pressures....The stock 5 1/2" wheels and bias ply tires originally fitted to the car called for tires to be inflated to under 30 psi. The radials just about everyone has call for higher numbers.

One needs to be aware that all factory specs are a great blueprint if the car is 100% stock but once we make changes, the factory methods and numbers may not be right for you.
Really appreciate the help. Lots to think about. I'm considering lowering the back end with lowering blocks but I will wait until the suspension settles on the road a while. Then I can see where I'm at and what I need to do. I assume the blocks go under the leaf springs, yes?

They act as spacers between the springs and the axle housing.
I have 1 inch blocks in my car.

For all the online chatter about that, I have never had an issue with pinion angle.
I don’t drag race and my suspension operates in a narrower range since I’m set up for handling rather than drag racing.

For all the online chatter about that, I have never had an issue with pinion angle.
I don’t drag race and my suspension operates in a narrower range since I’m set up for handling rather than drag racing.
Good to know. I'll see what happens. Thanks, Dave

@Longknife

You disagree that I've never loosened the LCA nuts, or you disagree that I've never had any issues without doing it.

I can guarantee you 100%, that I've done exactly that many times.

How would you know? You weren't there.

I'll bet many others have done the same.

Auto Transport Service
Back