• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Front floors install

TexasRoadRunner68

Local time
5:30 AM
Reaction score
I’m assuming full AMD pans take less time than a bunch of patches and deliver a better result?

For those that have done full front floor pans and rear footwells, did you just level the car on jack stands or did you just let the car sit on its suspension?

Mine aren’t terrible, but there are crusty areas for sure and I imagine it’s a nightmare getting the front plug welds along the lip with the firewall once the drivetrain is in.

You could do it either way, it's basically the same, as the body shell is still weight on the suspension. After the floorpan is in the car and centered the best you can, mark the underside with your white marker, and then remove the floopan and drill your holes for your welds. Always, start in the middle of the torsion bar crossmember hump, and work from there, till you you get to the outer edge, along the inner rocker ledge, and weld down thoughly. As you go, take your time, and you will have a much better installation. I also wanted to make sure you have it clamped all along the firewall seam, and put a couple spot welds in the transmission tunnel area.
Hope this gives you some insight on the installation.

I would remove the drive train to alow access to the fire wall pinch welds ,also sometimes the pan needs to be jacked up to meet the rear pan and the drive shaft is usually in the way,

The best way to set the car up is on stands. However make sure the stands are level with each other and not just resting on the uneven floor .I usually don't like doing structural work with the car resting on the suspension .just because most of the time the cars have sagging old suspension or the extra leaf on the one side along with adjustable torsion bars.all of that plus the uneven floor = bent car

Also strip or cover up the interior and glass as both will get ruined quickly when welding and grinding

When I did mine, I must have had about 10 stands under it, and used shims on some of the stands to get everything level. We used self-tapping screws to pull the floor pan down to the crossmembers when we were welding. Went back and removed the screws and welded the holes closed.
We added weld-in sub-frame connectors, but had the vehicle weight on the suspension for this.

Auto Transport Service
Back