• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Front & Rear Window Glass Installation

VANDAN

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:30 AM
Reaction score
I have to install the front & rear glass in my '63. I was wondering if there are any vids or postings about this, or any sources for tools needed to complete. I'm coming up blank on local talent, to complete this, as everyone is saying "just find someone to do it". Any and all advice welcome, Thanks...

I have one of these kits for when I do windows and work I don't wanna chip or scratch. I use pledge for the lubricant as it has wax in it and lets the window slide into the rubber channel nice. I start at the bottom and work my way around then do the top and work my way to the upper two corners. I've done 3 now with success this way and have to do my Roadrunner's this weekend as well.

Amazon product ASIN B07DGL4SGM
tools.jpg

I have to install the front & rear glass in my '63. I was wondering if there are any vids or postings about this, or any sources for tools needed to complete. I'm coming up blank on local talent, to complete this, as everyone is saying "just find someone to do it". Any and all advice welcome, Thanks...
Safelite put mine in. Not sure if you have one where you live or not.

Actually locally I couldn't find anyone that wanted to install it. That is why I finally said screw it and did it myself and found it isn't that bad. They all wanna do the quick glue in windshields like todays cars and don't wanna mess with the rubber channel gasket type anymore. Even people they referred me to said no they didn't have time or want the job.

Yea, I've been asking around, no takers. Seems everyone is leary to even try. I'll get that tool set you rec'd, and give it a try.

I just did my 67 coronet front and back. Each had a different process. Front the gasket goes into the lip of the windshield opening , place the glass bottom into the lower lip and start working it in all around with plastic tools, I used tire mounting liquid to keep from damaging seal. Used 3m glass bedding and glazing compound in both lips son it doesn't leak. The rear is done the old fashion way, gasket on the windshield with a 3/16 nylon cord wrapped around the channel, lay the glass on the opening start center bottom by pulling out the cord which will bring the seal over the lip.
another good tool are the suction cups, amazon sells them cheap. This allows your helper to move the glass around to assist it going into place easily. Front pretty tough to do, take your time and plenty of lube, going sparingly on the 3m bedding compound, can get messy in a hurry.

Yea, I've been asking around, no takers. Seems everyone is leary to even try. I'll get that tool set you rec'd, and give it a try.
The people that have knowledge are few, so companies don't want to touch them. Old stuff can be a pita and cost businesses more in the end then they charged the customer.
Is you gasket rope in style or does it have another groove on the outside that takes a lock strip.

The people that have knowledge are few, so companies don't want to touch them. Old stuff can be a pita and cost businesses more in the end then they charged the customer.
Is you gasket rope in style or does it have another groove on the outside that takes a lock strip.
I think the mid 60s have a unique gasket. Folds open, insert glass, and work the seal closed. No rope, or lock strip to seal.
I'm ready to give it a shot, just need the plastic tools so I don't crack the glass...

Try smaller town independent shops. They are more likely to be willing, have an experienced installer, or call a guy out of retirement to come in for the job.

I think the mid 60s have a unique gasket. Folds open, insert glass, and work the seal closed. No rope, or lock strip to seal.
I'm ready to give it a shot, just need the plastic tools so I don't crack the glass...
Get these

B48C622C-1C18-4748-BC0A-C353CCA8CE00.png

Yep, you got it. we called it a “zipper”. It’s technically a lock strip but it’s just integrated into the gasket and not a separate lacer. The tool of choice is plastic and is called a bone or windshield spoon. Use lots of lube, aerosol glass cleaner works great. Use the palm of your hand and slap it in gentle. Once seated run some sealer (not urethane) around the gasket and zip it up and clean up the sealer that oozed out.

Back glass should be a rope in, never did a 63 but 66-67 is that way.
7448A7FC-24C4-453E-BEF0-CAE50B205185.jpeg

Has anyone just installed their windows, without any sealer, so removal will be easier ? Since the car won't be a daily driver, but could see some weather if at an event, or track time, how much leakage is possible from a normal washing, or downpour ?

Has anyone just installed their windows, without any sealer, so removal will be easier ? Since the car won't be a daily driver, but could see some weather if at an event, or track time, how much leakage is possible from a normal washing, or downpour ?
You would be shocked how water gets around those gaskets if installed without sealant. I’m sure people have done it without and have had good luck. I’ve never had that good fortune.

I don’t recall my installer using any sealer when we put the glass in my 65.
But my car does not go out in the rain.

You should get wet feet very quickly if driving in the rain. Most new w/s are thinner and there is a possibility of leakage with new gaskets. If possible I would use original gaskets. I purchased a Precision Gasket this time and wiLL be using sealer.

Does the back window on a 1968 Coronet take a gasket, or is it just glued to the metal with urethane? Thanks

Does the back window on a 1968 Coronet take a gasket, or is it just glued to the metal with urethane? Thanks

use a butyl ribbon kit and primer.....someone here can tell us if it is 5/16 or 3/8, i always forget.........if using the urethane glue, make some sort of rubber blocks for each corner (5/16ish) to hold the glass from sinking deep into the glue....... also at the bottom to keep it from sliding down the opening

SUCCESS !!! I was thinking of some of the Great cars around our local area, and reached out to some Brothers I met several years ago. Turns out Rich used to do Glass ! I installed the gaskets, taped the body off, and they showed up at 11am today. 2 hrs later, Glass was in place, and looking Good ! A Big Thanks to Rich & Ken, the Beers were on Me !!!
1029221152a_HDR.jpg
1029221236_HDR.jpg
1029221447a.jpg
1029221447.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back