• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Front Sway Bar

vektro69

Local time
8:53 AM
Reaction score
Ok. Probably a silly question, but, I’ll ask anyway. I have a aftermarket front sway bar, probably done 18 years ago. While working on new brakes, some have questioned to angles being different where the ends connect. Thinking that it may be on upside down. The bar has a slight vee shape in the middle,currently vee pointing up. Should it go down or does it matter?

CF2CC18A-B739-419A-80E3-8D607A7B6B5A.jpeg
Ok. Probably a silly question, but, I’ll ask anyway. I have a aftermarket front sway bar, probably done 18 years ago. While working on new brakes, some have questioned to angles being different where the ends connect. Thinking that it may be on upside down. The bar has a slight vee shape in the middle,currently vee pointing up. Should it go down or does it matter?

This is what it looks like now. Seems right. This is not my car though

Thanks! That’s what I was thinking too. Would the angle be too different at the ends? Look like there’s some spacers on the mid brackets

The one you posted is an aftermarket bar, so yes the brackets are not as close fitting as original. Original bars also have the bend in the middle. It’s to clear the lower radiator support brace.

Thanks a lot for the help. Mine is a bigger aftermarket one. No idea of the manufacturer. Silver one with no markings. Likely done 2002 or so.

It looks like you have an addco on it now.

Mechanic still not happy with the way bar fits. Tried it with hump up and down. Not sure if it’s the right sway bar for the car. Still can’t identify what kind it is.
If I decide to replace it, is the Summit one good, or is Hellwig or another one worth the extra money?

They do make different end link bushing/spacers so you can get a good connection.

Thanks. I have found a few places to get them already. Let you know if this fixes it!!

The angles on the end links aren’t very good. Bushings will continue to wear. Another reviewer on Summits site under Addco sway bar expressed the same thing.
Thinking of getting one that fits better. Car did have a factory bar on front. Which brand might be better? May even add rear sway bar too. Qa1, Hellwig, don’t know who makes Summits, some say Hellwig others Addco. Pretty sure I have Addco, so that’s out! Any advice? Like to get it done soon while car is in the shop anyway

Go with a factory sway bar if you want the stock set up that will work, you’ll need to correct the brackets on the K member if they are incorrect. Clayton may even have one..or get the correct mounts from addco and go with the bigger bar.

So, Addco may have different mounts that will straighten out the angles?

I know someone who has a factory one, but, thought a bigger aftermarket one would be better

If you want one that everything lines up nicely on buy the Hotchkis.... Honestly it doesn't effect the way the bar works, it might cause the sway bar link bushing to fail prematurely but they are pretty cheap & I change them every five years as a maintenance item...

Want to eliminate binding & increase sway bar effectiveness? Replace the end links with these...

Screen Shot 2020-11-29 at 6.33.24 PM.png

Last edited:
i got the same thing going on. looked at^^^ looks like the answer thanks 1 Wild rt, again

Auto Transport Service
Back