• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Front Wheel Spacers or Not? '67 Coronet

Coronutcase

Local time
4:51 AM
Reaction score
I would like for my wheels and tires to come out farther on my '67 Coronet (they are in way too far compared to rear). I'm currently installing QA-1 Upper and Lower Control Arms and a Pirate Jack's 11" disc brake kit. (Not that this matters). I'm running 225 70 15's on 15" x 7" Magnum 500's. On the rear I have 255 60 15's on 15" x 8" Magnums. The only option I can think of are 1 1/2" to 2" wheel spacers. Any other thoughts out there? And if I did go with wheel spacers, what style, brand, hub-centric or not,etc?

The photo from the rear shows it best.

Thanks all, God Bless!

KIMG8042.JPG KIMG8044.JPG

Wheel spacers are often dismissed as being dangerous....BUT I have seen some that seem okay. The ones that are billet that bolt to the hub with an alternate set of wheel lug studs are the way to go. Never use a thick spacer with longer wheel studs!
Ideally, you would not use them, you'd just get wheels with the correct offset. If the car is a cruiser and NOT used for extreme handling applications, you should be okay. I'd still consider checking the torque of the lug nuts frequently.

I have a nice set of new .5” billet spacers of you are interested. 1.5-2” might be a bit much.

I kinda dig the tucked in look on the front. Gives it that raked look I don’t think you want them sitting all the way out even with the fender. Also with spacers that 1.5 to 2” you’ll most likely have to change the wheel studs.

853D4E0D-FD30-4905-9479-889E52CEA765.jpeg 6BF56CF6-4945-4F0E-935A-C6A4C1AC3DA6.jpeg

Before you start adding front wheel spacers ask this question. Will it have to pass a vehicle inspection and does your state allow them.
Only other thing would be the load created on the spindle and bearing by offsetting the wheel.

Thanks for the quick replies!

The ones you described Kern Dog are exactly what I was thinking of.

I have a nice set of new .5” billet spacers of you are interested. 1.5-2” might be a bit much.

I'm not sure 1/2" would be noticable, but I will consider yours. Great looking Coronet BTW! Looks likes it's ready for the strip!

Will it have to pass a vehicle inspection and does your state allow them.

Here in Ohio, we don't have to have our vehicles inspected. Good thought on the spindle load, thanks!

Adding a spacer 1.5 to 2 inch thick could screw up the loading on the spindle like mopar 3B said. The spacer also needs to be tight on the existing hub for proper loading as well. Never ever expect wheel studs to carry any load. Wheels studs are only used to secure the wheel to the hub surface.

What states require inspections?
In California, they only do smog/emission inspections on cars from years 1976 to 2013. There are no other inspections unless one is trying to retitle a salvaged car.
I can understand a inspection program for states that salt the roads to melt the snow. A rusted car can hide some dangerous structural problems.

The kit might push the wheels out a little also, my wilwood front disc kit pushed the wheels out .25” check the spec sheet see if it says anything about widening the track width

Adding a spacer 1.5 to 2 inch thick could screw up the loading on the spindle like mopar 3B said. The spacer also needs to be tight on the existing hub for proper loading as well. Never ever expect wheel studs to carry any load. Wheels studs are only used to secure the wheel to the hub surface.
Blah, blah, blah....
Rick Ehrenberg goes on about hub centric wheels too. Many vehicles left the factory without them. My 78 Plymouth Trail Duster was one of them.
Most aftermarket wheels are NOT hub centric. The Magnum 500 wasn't either.

Never ever expect wheel studs to carry any load. Wheels studs are only used to secure the wheel to the hub surface.

I agree, that's why I think the hub-centric spacers would be better.

The only inspections I know of in Ohio are random roadside inspections and that happens alot less often than it did years ago. The only other inspection would be if you buy a car from out of state, they require an out of state inspection when you bring it into Ohio. That is literally just the BMV checking the VIN number and nothing else. And then you have to pay them of course. Like I couldn't read the VIN # myself and compare it to the title I have in my hand. Nope, they have to do it and then charge you.

I would move the rears in, instead of the front out.

In California, they only do smog/emission inspections on cars from years 1976 to 2013. There are no other inspections unless one is trying to retitle a salvaged car.
I can understand a inspection program for states that salt the roads to melt the snow. A rusted car can hide some dangerous structural problems.

My buddy told me when he was stationed in Norfolk, Virginia that they had mandatory yearly safety inspections. He also told me they paid some guy $50 and got the sticker for their cars that had no chance of passing !

My buddy told me when he was stationed in Norfolk, Virginia that they had mandatory yearly safety inspections. He also told me they paid some guy $50 and got the sticker for their cars that had no chance of passing !

Like the one in your avatar.......one of my favorites!

In Texas we have a couple of options. Any car over 25 yrs old is safety inspection only eg. horn, blinkers, brakes....., no emissions. If the car is 30 yrs or older you can get Antique plates which are good for 5 yrs and there is no inspection required. The kicker on that is that you are only supposed to drive the car to and from shows, organized cruise events and or for maintenance purposes like going to mechanic or car wash.

The bolt on adapter s work just fine I had a duster with them on it for years and I drove it like I stole it ! I was trying to brake them ! I couldn't brake them they sell a 4.5 to 4.5 adapter just to move the wheels out I just to work at a local shop that sells them they still stock them if you need me to get a set I can .

The bolt on adapter s work just fine I had a duster with them on it for years and I drove it like I stole it ! I was trying to brake them ! I couldn't brake them they sell a 4.5 to 4.5 adapter just to move the wheels out I just to work at a local shop that sells them they still stock them if you need me to get a set I can .

Yep that's what I'm looking for. When I get my front end back together, I'll do some measuring and see how thick I want to go and what would be safe. Do you remember how thick the ones on your Duster were?

Thanks everybody for your responses!

Auto Transport Service
Back