• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel leak from cap

PolaraFury

Local time
12:14 PM
Reaction score
Is there a fix for the fuel leak at the fender door on these cars? I’m tired of cleaning gas stains off my fender. Thank you

New cap? Make sure the flange where the cap seats is good.....

What car we talking about? I filled my '66 Hemi Sat on the weekend and had fuel sitting a 1/2" below the neck ring and put the cap on expecting a mess after the first clutch dump... notta..

Welcome to the world of these early B's and fuel slosh down the 1/4's.

I've watched videos on YouTube of '67 Satellites romping around and fuel pouring out of the fillers.

I have fuel stains with the old twist on cap, and also now with the fancy flip top.
I got so tired of it, I went to the dollar store, bought one of those large sink plugs with the big flange and the part that goes in the drain hole.
Fits reasonably well & snug under the flip top, and stopped 99% of the fuel staining, except for one "spirited evening" before parking for the fall, there was a small dribble that had made it past the plug.

YMMV. :popcorn2:

Your avatar is a 66 Satellite with a 67 flip cap are all the parts there? @Jerry Hall is the filler neck at fender on a 66 the same as a 67. Original owner of my car put just the outer cap on. Leaked all over quarter and wrecked the paint.

Thought the 67 headlight bezel didn't go up the fender. Magnified yours and it's same.OOps.:lol:

Your avatar is a 66 Satellite with a 67 flip cap are all the parts there? @Jerry Hall is the filler neck at fender on a 66 the same as a 67. Original owner of my car put just the outer cap on. Leaked all over quarter and wrecked the paint.
66 and 67 filler necks are the same, but without the proper seal they will leak. The GTX cap takes a special seal so as not to leak.

66 and 67 filler necks are the same, but without the proper seal they will leak. The GTX cap takes a special seal so as not to leak.

@Jerry Hall are factory ones different than the seal the reproduction's come with?

s-l500.jpg

The reproduction seal for the GTX cap is good.

I put a thin smear of transmission assembly grease on the seal of my 67 cap and that helps anyway - maybe not fool proof.

Is there a fix for the fuel leak at the fender door on these cars? I’m tired of cleaning gas stains off my fender. Thank you
Leaking out while you drive or splashing back when you fill?

This is what’s left of the gasket behind the fuel door. Where can I get one?

IMG_8730.jpeg

71831977986__FC56AB1A-9036-4A19-AE0E-9CED0223FF0F.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back