• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel Line Size

Runner 68

Tarnished Bronze Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:27 PM
Reaction score
Sorry if this question has been kicked around before but I couldn't find satisfaction in searching FBBO.
I'm sure I will get a 50/50 split on here as I have talking to friends and gurus I know.
68 Runner, carbureted 850CFM, 500" stroker, ~600-650HP, internal tank EFI fuel pump regulated for carb, AN-6 or AN-8 Fuel line?
As my engine designer says "Stop Light **** Talking Poser". This car will not see the track but has a moderate race mill on pump gas.
Looking forward to input from the Mopar Gods on here.

my suggestion would be a bypass .regulator with a return to tank and 6an is fine

If your starting from new go big. With the pump in the tank you will push more fuel than you can pull. Some EFI pumps have internal regulation. You could always do a volume test on a section of line and that will give you your GPH or what ever measurement unit you want to use.

650hp is under 60gph fuel burn at full throttle. Good pump and a 3/8ths line will feed that all day long

Last edited:
+1 for -6AN, 3/8". I run it on my 610hp fuel injected 496, and carbed 700hp 4.6 turbo jet boat. No problems on either.

Thanks everyone. 6-AN / 3/8 is the direction I was leaning for this set up for a variety of reasons.
Yes, bypass regulator. Yes, return line. No EFI, 850 carb. Just an EFI pump.
Thanks for helping confirm my decision. 6-AN makes several things much simpler in this application.

Gotta love this place.

I stand corrected,should have said no deadheading regulator,return to tank

I've had 1/2 aluminum line with -8 hoses and fittings in my cars for years. It's probably overkill however. Pump and lines are capable of supporting twice the power I've got at the moment. I'm set up for a 200-400 hp increase.
3/8, -6 should be fine for your app.

-6AN is fine, but with EFI you cannot use a Bypass regulator.

Full flow and a separate return line is a must.

Dead-heading will not work.
I would think it would depend on the EFI system......Throttle Body Injection (TBI), Multi-Point (1/N, where N = number of cylinders / fuel charge per cyljnder, simultaneously), Sequential (leads but replicates firing order), or GDI (Gasoline Direct Injection which leads firing order by mili seconds). Each system has specific fuel pressure and volume requirements.....the highest of which is GDI where fuel pressure at the injector is ~ 1800 PSI and the least volume and pressure requirement of the TBI, which is ~ 20-22 PSI. There is no "universal line size" but can be calculated at maximum fuel VOLUME and PRESSURE, factoring in line losses (pressure drops). Most factory systems use a reducing regulator in the system to maintain a steady state pressure condition. Perhaps it would be best to determine the EFI system being used b4 erroneous assumptions are made......just a thought.....
BOB RENTON

Although i myself use a 1/2 inch aluminum fuel line, i agree that a 3/8 is plenty for your setup and more important for a street machine is a return line for sure! Do not use the dead head style that is commonly used on street machines, you can have fuel pressure creep up on you, inconsistent fuel pressure and overheated fuel pumps which means eventual fuel pump failure, and it will fail at the worst possible time at the worst possible place. Return line cures all these ailments.

Auto Transport Service
Back