• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel Pump Leak

Macdon221

Local time
5:29 AM
Reaction score
Happy New Year All!

Got a leak at the fuel pump. See photo. It is only leaking at the inlet from the brass fitting into the pump. No where else. Cleaned it, observed while running, etc. It is not leaking elsewhere and running down. Before I forge ahead...would maybe just a simple tightening work?

Also...if observed while running you can see very small “bubbling” at the gasket where it mates up against the block.

What do guys think?

Also anyone know the exact pump model?

Thanks

67190EEA-93C4-44DE-876E-F33A4FBEC48B.jpeg

How tight is the fitting now and is there gas bubbling at the block gasket? If it is, you need to check your oil level and make sure there isn't any gas in it. Looks like a Carter or Carter type pump.....

The brass fitting and/or steel line compression flare are damaged from over tightening. The pump looks like an old Carter due to the screws, but I guess other could look the same.

Big block or small block engine here?
I don't know that the fitting/flare is over-tightened, hard to tell from that pic.
I do know the fitting doesn't show any sealant on it, however...
So...
First take the fuel line loose from it, then unscrew the fitting. Apply something like thread sealant or
Teflon tape to it, then re-install, being careful not to get crazy tightening it up but getting it plenty snug.
Re-install the fuel line into the fitting (no sealant), then also snug it back up without going crazy over-tightening.

As far as any bubbling at the mating surface of pump to engine block, that ain't good since there's really
no pressure from anything supposed to be there. Do as Cranky says and pull the engine dipstick and check
the oil for any signs of gas in it.
If all seems well, then check the fuel pump mounting bolts for tightness.

It's a 68 440.

I checked the oil already...does not seem to be any fuel smell or look to the oil at all. Just the regular oil smell.

Will try to snug the fuel pump mounting bolts as well.

Whats your thoughts on removing the pump and installing a new gasket between pump and the block.

No issues with the engine performance at all.

It's a 68 440.

I checked the oil already...does not seem to be any fuel smell or look to the oil at all. Just the regular oil smell.

Will try to snug the fuel pump mounting bolts as well.

Whats your thoughts on removing the pump and installing a new gasket between pump and the block.

No issues with the engine performance at all.
As we say around these parts... "ain't no hill for a stepper". :)
You probably know the drill on that gasket replacement - detach fuel lines, unbolt pump from engine,
thoroughly scrape/clean gasket mating surfaces, new gasket install using sealant of your choice....etc.

Lol.

Got it!

the pump actually says “Made in Canada” in 2 places. It must be old then.

And you know about the pump push rod needs to stay in the up position when you reinstall the pump, right?

Yes. I do know about the pump push rod.

if i end up taking off the pump, while there should i remove the push rod to inspect?

What the indicators it needs to be changed?

That chrome nut on the line side looks like water line plumbing parts to me. Should be brass like the fitting
Yes. I do know about the pump push rod.

if i end up taking off the pump, while there should i remove the push rod to inspect?

What the indicators it needs to be changed?

New rod is 3.25" if you have lost a 1/8" off it I would swap it out. New one is $15 to $20.

What’s a good place to get a rebuild kit if i decide to do that as well?

anyone recognize the model pump yet?

It does appear to be the old Carter "hemi" fuel pump, which is rebuildable.
Mancini Racing not only has kits for them but was instrumental in getting the original
fuel pump reproduced (it hadn't been made in some time before)!
https://www.manciniracing.com/cabheen5psis.html

By the way, there's a hex plug in the block directly below the pump that becomes visible
when you remove the pump. You remove the plug to get the pushrod out.

If you're after a restored look, I just used a Carter that's found on most B/RB with the 5/16 fuel line. With both mating surfaces cleaned as nice as possible I used ultra black rtv only with great results. Factory style crimp clamps, new vapor separator, 3.22" Comp cam pushrod #4626 and zero issues.

20190627_181224.jpg

Pretty sure 440's had 3/8" line...

Pretty sure 440's had 3/8" line...
I used to think the same thing. Mine still has the factory installed 5/16. It had 77k miles on it in '87 and been using it since then with no problems.

As moparedtn noted...that this pump I seem to have is a Carter “hemi” fuel pump...would this have been found on a 440 as from the factory or not?

Auto Transport Service
Back