• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel Tank Venting Fuel

steve340

Local time
12:04 PM
Reaction score
I have a gas tank in my 1968 GTX that I have had a problem with gas puking out the vent tubes.
It seems others also have the same issue.
Mine is a replacement tank and I was wanting to ask is this a problem with the way the tanks are manufactured? or do cars with an original tanks suffer from this problem also?
Any thoughts appreciated.

I had that once. Check the small vent tubes are not blocked with solder when they were attached to the tank - they only protrude about 25mm or so. Use a welding torch pipe cleaner or similar to 'rod' the tubes.
Also, make sure you have the correct orientation of the vent tubes - one is high, and the other is low - level-wise on the boot/trunk area.

Thanks the first thing I did was pass a tig welding wire through the vents. I tried swapping the tubes but unfortunately did not make much difference.
I am curious to know is the original design is no good - or are the repro tanks not right somewhere?

That link I posted is from a few days ago with same problem. Is your tank the same as post #11 in link?

Thanks yes I was involved/replied in that post. He also has a replacement tank but I am unsure if it is the same as mine.
Some repro parts are sub standard compared to the OE parts and I was just reaching out to see if this was another dud repro.

my tank had the internal vent tube that is attached to the roof of the tank come loose and would lay in the fuel when tank was full. would always put fuel on the ground after filling tank. was able to attach small fuel line to tube and have it near filler opening and problem stopped.

Auto Transport Service
Back