• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuse Box upgrade

deleof57

Local time
4:36 PM
Reaction score
I have a '74 Roadrunner that I am going to restore/upgrade. I am going to upgrad the interior with power seats, windows, door locks, power exterior mirrors, plus a few other things. I'm pretty sure that the fuse box which is from a junk yard (previous owner) won't be able to handle all the extras i'm adding. My question is...would simply getting a larger fuse box from a later Chrysler car, like a 1990 that had all those extras fix my electrical needs? Or would I still have to go Year One for my fix. I already talked with Painless Wiring and they don't have wiring specifically for Mopars. I'm trying to keep this on a low budget. Thanks for your advice/opinion.

I am talking with rebel wire right now. Not specific to Mopar but quality stuff and half the price of painless.

Yeah, I mean, $500+ for a fuse block and harness??

Rewire

This is a good question. I would like to upgrade my fuse block to a higher capacity and get away from the glass fuses.

I wonder if this would be a good direct replacement: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/prf-30001/overview/
Just installed a painless 12 circut fuse panel in my 65 Coronet pretty straitforward, just need to rewire parts of the harness and extend some others, worked out fine.

I think Ron Francis has an account on here. I have heard good things about his products also. Just a suggestion.

Isn't that the Girls Gone Wild guy?

But seriously, do you have a website for him?

I think Ron Francis has an account on here. I have heard good things about his products also. Just a suggestion.

I talked with the Ron Francis people and they suggested a 24 circuit system. it would come complete at a cost of $540.00. That's a bit steep for my wallet.

I was going to get one from ezwiring.com but got a painless switch panel and will handle what I need it for. Their prices are under $200 not counting shipping its just a universal set up but labeled every 5inches or feet not sure.

If originality isn't an issue, I would upgrade to a late-model box. I'm planning to do the same thing to my 74 Road Runner, and I'm going to pull one of the boxes from a Ford Police Interceptor (my first choice for HP spare parts). These cars have two fuse boxes. The standard Crown Victoria box is under the dash, but the police systems box is located just behind the battery box on the passenger side of the motor compartment. It's heavy duty, handles about 20 circuits, is weatherproof, and built to handle any load you can think of. Plus you can get them for around $20 at most yards.

I was going to get one from ezwiring.com but got a painless switch panel and will handle what I need it for. Their prices are under $200 not counting shipping its just a universal set up but labeled every 5inches or feet not sure.
I called up EZ Wiring and they suggested a 21 circuit fuse box. It comes with the wiring harness for less than $200. Now that is more in my budget range. I am pretty sure that this is what I am going to get. Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, I mean, $500+ for a fuse block and harness??

Call EZ Wiring, they have a 21 circuit with wiring for $190. And the tech I spoke with was into Mopars and offered help with the install if i needed it.

I also purchased the EZ Wiring 21 circuit setup but Im not to the point of installing it just yet. Good price to.

I have installed EZwiring kits in other cars and trucks. I like their setup and they were "painless" to put in (lol). Their price was very reasonable also.

I called up EZ Wiring and they suggested a 21 circuit fuse box. It comes with the wiring harness for less than $200. Now that is more in my budget range. I am pretty sure that this is what I am going to get. Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Call EZ Wiring, they have a 21 circuit with wiring for $190. And the tech I spoke with was into Mopars and offered help with the install if i needed it.

Do you remember who you talked too?

I have a '74 Roadrunner that I am going to restore/upgrade. I am going to upgrad the interior with power seats, windows, door locks, power exterior mirrors, plus a few other things. I'm pretty sure that the fuse box which is from a junk yard (previous owner) won't be able to handle all the extras i'm adding. My question is...would simply getting a larger fuse box from a later Chrysler car, like a 1990 that had all those extras fix my electrical needs? Or would I still have to go Year One for my fix. I already talked with Painless Wiring and they don't have wiring specifically for Mopars. I'm trying to keep this on a low budget. Thanks for your advice/opinion.

I can't even count the number of these: http://www.painlesswiring.com/webcatalog/largeview.php?SearchField=70207

that I have installed in cars, trucks, motorcycles, boats... Basically you install one of these directly to the battery and never touch the factory wiring or factory fuse box. It makes troubleshooting REALLY easy because your circuits are independent from the factory ones. I generally don't run ANYTHING new off factory wiring. Fuel Pump, Fans, Powerful lights, Stereo systems, etc. The one above is a 40 amp one, but they come up to 140 amps I think...

Just a thought...

I can't even count the number of these: http://www.painlesswiring.com/webcatalog/largeview.php?SearchField=70207

that I have installed in cars, trucks, motorcycles, boats... Basically you install one of these directly to the battery and never touch the factory wiring or factory fuse box. It makes troubleshooting REALLY easy because your circuits are independent from the factory ones. I generally don't run ANYTHING new off factory wiring. Fuel Pump, Fans, Powerful lights, Stereo systems, etc. The one above is a 40 amp one, but they come up to 140 amps I think...

Just a thought...

That sounds good Grabinov, but what do you do for accessory and/or ignition switch voltage. In the stock fuse box, as you know are voltages for lights on only and accessories. Would one wire jumpers from these connections from the appropriate spots in the stock fuse box to the aux fuse box or directly from the harness?

Auto Transport Service
Back