• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gas tank Ground Strip

Jeff 69

Local time
9:06 PM
Reaction score
I have a 69 Road Runner and need to know if any one has a picture of where the ground strap goes. Thanks.

I don't have a pic but it's a steel ribbon formed with a clip on each end that connects to the fuel line and sending unit hose nipple. It just jumps the short hose connection.

I believe there is a picture of where it goes in the yearone catalog. If you don't have one you can pull it up online

I think you just solved my fuel gauge problem. My gauge reads about half of the actual fuel level. Reads half full when full, then bottoms out at empty when the tank is actually half full. Had the tank out, sending unit out, grounded the gauge wire - read full. The sending unit ohms out correctly (10 to 75 ohms if i recall). Put it all back together and the gauge still reads wrong just as it did.

BUT, now I realize i dont have a ground strap... i just ASSumed the gas tank mounting straps and j bolts gounded the tank properly. I'm gonna rig something up quick tonight to test and I'll let you know.

Oh, and here's a source for the strap. http://www.carpartsdiscount.com/aut...el_sending_unit_ground_strap.html?3593=321915

I think you just solved my fuel gauge problem. My gauge reads about half of the actual fuel level. Reads half full when full, then bottoms out at empty when the tank is actually half full. Had the tank out, sending unit out, grounded the gauge wire - read full. The sending unit ohms out correctly (10 to 75 ohms if i recall). Put it all back together and the gauge still reads wrong just as it did.

BUT, now I realize i dont have a ground strap... i just ASSumed the gas tank mounting straps and j bolts gounded the tank properly. I'm gonna rig something up quick tonight to test and I'll let you know.

Oh, and here's a source for the strap. http://www.carpartsdiscount.com/aut...el_sending_unit_ground_strap.html?3593=321915

Having no ground strap may be the issue but did you also verify your float was floating? Did you shake it to make sure there was no gas in it?

Hmmm. Thanks, meep, that's why i love this site. Damn, float not floating... never thought of it.

Having no ground strap may be the issue but did you also verify your float was floating? Did you shake it to make sure there was no gas in it?

My aftermarket ground strap not worth a damn, so i fixed it like this, clip it around fuel line and tighten screw,works great and makes positive ground.

Attachments

• SAM_1799.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 222
  • SAM_1800.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 218
I have a correct original in good shape for a 69 Road Runner if interested PM me

Auto Transport Service
Back