• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gasket Sealer

Chi Town Runner

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:51 AM
Reaction score
Replacing water pump and thermostat on my 383 BB.
Any suggestions on a preferred gasket sealer for this.

Thanks for advise

20230530_122305.jpg

Just remember that with any of these "RTV"s that you use a smear only. Otherwise the squeeze out will be in the water passage and block something up. I have never used anything but Aviation gasket sealer in my 45+ years of wrenching these things and other than **** Corbin clamps never had a leak.

Permatex Indain head gasket shellac is the best for thermostat gasket.

Put on the water pump gasket dry, on a BB mopar it’s two machined iron surfaces, it’s not going to leak.

Last edited:
I believe all products listed work fine and we all have success stories so my advice is get any that has been recommended AND is readily available. Also, make sure all the old gaskets are completely removed. I like to use a drill with a wire brush attachment.

Lately I’ve been spraying 2 light coats of this on both sides of the gasket and spraying some in the cap and applying it to the metal sealing surfaces of the engine and accessory With a small brush.

Permatex 80065 Permatex High Tack Spray-A-Gasket Sealant | Summit Racing

So far it seals up good and my hope is it is easier to separate and clean up than RTV but so far I haven’t had a chance to test that theory.

Valve cover gaskets and oil pan gaskets and intake gaskets (except end seals) I’m still applying dry to very clean surfaces and staying after the bolts until they snug up after heat cycles. If not using metal reinforced gaskets I would probably apply this to one side only to fix them in place.

Hylomar Blue.
Works as good or better than anything else. Fills imperfections like RTV(within reason), doesn't make a big sticky mess, and you can actually remove it easily (a big bonus for guys like me that like to swap parts and do comparison testing often). You can even most times re-use the gasket.
It's drawback is, you won't find it hanging on the rack at the local parts house..

Use Silicon sealer by itself. The secret is making sure the surfaces are very clean. Scrape, wire brush or sandpaper first & use Lacquer thinner or Acetone for a final wipe over.

Auto Transport Service
Back