• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gasoline. Do you price shop or just buy where it is close?

in Mineral Wells Tx where I work, and soon to be living in, there’s a lot of choices, all within 5 cents of each other, there’s 2 that are usually 10 cents cheaper, and there’s a chevron that’s always 40-50 cents more expensive. I live in Gordon currently, 30 miles west, and the 2 stations in town are usually 20 cents more, sometimes they’re within 10 cents, but rarely.

Sometimes I price shop when in Mineral Wells, sometimes it’s what’s convenient. When I take the GTX out, I just fill up in Gordon, because the gas gauge doesn’t work, and when you’re driving 30-40 miles it’s better safe than sorry
:lol:

I had former co worked who was the cheapest man I knew, he scrutinized everything and was very frugal in his selection, EXCEPT when it came to gas. Said when he saw he needed fuel he pulled in at the next station he saw and never looked at the price. Cracked us up but I guess his fear of running out of fuel overran his price concerns on that item.......

Highest spread in our town is a whopping 90 cents. It’s a town of 90,000, and hours drive from a bigger town. Highest is a Chevron, lowest is generally Costco, Fred Meyer, Arco.

Ill drive for the cheaper gas.

Interestingly, we are close to an Indian Reservation, and they won a court battle a few years back to not have to pay state gasoline taxes, as they weren’t in the state (independent nation). At times, they have been 50 cents/gal cheaper than the lowest here. Just too far away to justify.

But I’ve thought about extra tanks for my beater truck and making the drive.

We have an Indian reservation station nearby too...... but it's on the Nevada side of the river. Two bucks cheaper than california,.... but still at least half a buck higher than Arizona.

The station closest to me is usually pretty close to others in the area. WalMart's gas is usually a bit cheaper and will fill up if I'm in the area and they ain't crowded. Used to fill up at Sam's Club when I went there but I'm not a member anymore. Just don't spend enough there to warrant the yearly membership fee.

I usually pick the busiest station, bigger turn over, fresher gas, . There isn't 10 cents between them, except Costco, 20 to 25 cents cheaper.

There are two wholesalers in my town who meet on Mondays for coffee. Tuesdays the new prices are posted. Prices are slow to come down, but when the Saudis announced, prices went up 40 cents in a few hours.

Since prices are all the same within a couple cents, I go to a place that gives free car washes with a purchase of 8 gallons. Works for me as it is near by and I don't need to be hauling a full tank around.

In FL, county taxes can be quite different.
The county west of me is 5 cents cheaper.
If I have business over there, I'll not fill up so I can get that 5 cents while I'm there.
About 1 time out of 10 I get burned and it's actually a few cents more or the same.
I've been through a few counties further away where it's 7-10 cents less.

...and FL's state gas tax holiday ends next month.

I'm on half a tank.

I need to verify when the actual last day is.

That's about 25-30 cents.

Last night another news story about national gas prices compared to FL, and still no mention of that tax holiday.
What the F is wrong with those people?
They should be informing us why ours is cheaper, and reminding us it's ending soon.

...and FL's state gas tax holiday ends next month.

I'm on half a tank.

I need to verify when the actual last day is.

That's about 25-30 cents.

Last night another news story about national gas prices compared to FL, and still no mention of that tax holiday.
What the F is wrong with those people?
They should be informing us why ours is cheaper, and reminding us it's ending soon.
November 9th?

That's what I was thinking.

It was 3.02 for about 3 days before the opec announcement, then up to what it was before the holiday was enacted.

What timing.

I got one tank at 3.09 while it was on the way up. Was 3.29 the next day.

Most of the stations around here are close,usually 5 to 10 at the most. So I don't shop. What do I really save $1.50 or 2 its not worth my time. One cheap beer at a bar more then that.
I remember the gas shortage of 73 and 79 so I don't mind as long as it is available

We don't have to price shop in my area. The tank farm that supplies all of our gas stations regulates the price and they all go up or down within minutes so are all the same price. We used to be the highest in Wisconsin until Woodmans Grocery moved into town. They typically have cheaper prices since they have their own supplier. Now they all pretty much copy Woodmans prices.

I'm 1.5 mi from a Costco if anyone is cheaper it's not worth driving there. Today $3.24 Reg, $3.89 Premium 93 Octane.

Well, I can tell you people in california price shop.
The Costco a couple miles from my house typically has 40-50 cars in line for the eight islands, and I have seen more than a hundred. They have set up special lanes thru the parking lot for gasoline entry and exit.

As I am retired and do not drive as much now, I can go for 3-4 weeks in my grocery getter and then I top off from a half to full. Get 28 miles mpg so it is an economical car to drive. Gas prices here in NW Nevada are very similar to Commiefornia's prices so we are on the same plain as them. I usually top off at where I buy my groceries/Smiths/Kroger and for every 100.00 I spend I get 10 cents off a gallon. So I add up my savings and then the price shock isn't as severe. I also use Costco...not a fan of Wally World's Sam's Club...when I am in their general area and it's time to top off. Mu truck is just parked in the garage with a full tank so in a pinch I could siphon some off of it as well as it just isn't driven as it used to be. Gas at where I usually top off is at $5.59 for just 89 octane so with my 10 cent off build up, I can get the cost down below $5.00 every month. This insanity hopefully will come to a screeching halt very soon so get that vote out!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::usflag::usflag::usflag:cr8crshr/Bill

There can be as much as $1.00@gal price difference here in our local area......the closer you are to the freeway, the higher the price you'll pay.

So yes, I do price shop when it's time to feed the van.

Auto Transport Service
Back