• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gasoline. Do you price shop or just buy where it is close?

We pay a nickel and get a nickle when you turn them back in. It is a pain though and a lot of stores won't accept returns because of the mess and labor involved. . It's better than all the litter and if there is any laying around someone will pick them up to cash them in.

We have machines at the supermarket that you feed the cans & bottles into. The machine spits out a receipt for amount for you to redeem.

So, again...the 2.4 liter engine in my 2003 PT Cruiser noticed a 1 MPG average reduction in MPG over the course of 5 tanks using wal-mart/Murphy gas (also likely the same as sam's club gas) versus using "name brand" Sunoco gas.

This was as scientific a test as I could perform using the car on my daily 46 mile commute and routine weekend errands.
I did specifically avoid pure highway miles except for 2 occasions where I knew I was going to make the same trip.
One trip was made with the Murphy gas, and after the 5 tanks testing was over, the next trip was made using Sunoco gas.
The 5 tanks of Sunoco gas previous to the 5 tanks of Murphy agreed with the MPG of the next 3 tanks of Sunoco gas after the Murphy test.

I am satisfied that my test was relatively conclusive. It was NOT worth it for me to drive to wal-mart to save 3 cents per gallon because the gas was less efficient, totally negating the cost savings.....at least for that vehicle.

FYI that PT was 5 speed model and got above the MFG "highway" mileage in "mixed" commuting. 27.5 for Sunoco, 26-26.5 for Murphy.

Also as stated my 2000 5.9 Dakota (which had the highest recorded average MPG on the Dakota/Durango forum of 14.2) saw no perceivable difference using Sunoco or Murphy.

Posted earlier about Costco gas hasn't changed much Reg $3.35 Pre $3.95. The rub Nov. 30 $.25 gas tax starts again. Of course after elections. Mods please don't Zap me.:lol:

Last edited:
So, again...the 2.4 liter engine in my 2003 PT Cruiser noticed a 1 MPG average reduction in MPG over the course of 5 tanks using wal-mart/Murphy gas (also likely the same as sam's club gas) versus using "name brand" Sunoco gas.

This was as scientific a test as I could perform using the car on my daily 46 mile commute and routine weekend errands.
I did specifically avoid pure highway miles except for 2 occasions where I knew I was going to make the same trip.
One trip was made with the Murphy gas, and after the 5 tanks testing was over, the next trip was made using Sunoco gas.
The 5 tanks of Sunoco gas previous to the 5 tanks of Murphy agreed with the MPG of the next 3 tanks of Sunoco gas after the Murphy test.

I am satisfied that my test was relatively conclusive. It was NOT worth it for me to drive to wal-mart to save 3 cents per gallon because the gas was less efficient, totally negating the cost savings.....at least for that vehicle.

FYI that PT was 5 speed model and got above the MFG "highway" mileage in "mixed" commuting. 27.5 for Sunoco, 26-26.5 for Murphy.

Also as stated my 2000 5.9 Dakota (which had the highest recorded average MPG on the Dakota/Durango forum of 14.2) saw no perceivable difference using Sunoco or Murphy.
I think I would be happy with losing only 1mpg for using the cheap stuff. Here, the cheap stuff is about 30-40 cents cheaper than name brand. In california I have seen almost a buck difference. Maybe that's why there's a hundred cars in line at costco.

I usually always go to Sam's. It's usually 25-30 cent's cheaper I go early because it's always a madhouse.

Sams and Costco around here are usually middle of the road pricing; I can always find someone at least 15c a gallon cheaper. Weird. (same for their in-store items, too, actually...many times, by unit price, they're more expensive than a regular store; the only advantage is buying it by the truckload, if you just HAVE to have "that much" of whatever it is....)

I fill up at the reservation. Usually nearly a buck per gallon cheaper. One reserve station even had 93 octane, although that was recently changed to non-ethanol marine/rv gas.

What you guys are saying makes perfect sense - but what happens here is we pay a dime extra per bottle amd when turned in we might get a penny. 3mp says a 1/2 cent - maybe right. Screw em I just toss them in the recycle garbage can at home. Another state ripoff here. They're simple endless in their methods of thievery. For a while there we had gypsies coming around at 3am on garbage morning digging thru the stuff for bottles - didn't last too long as they must have figured out it as just a fools errand.

When taken to a recycle center near me, there is a difference between the CRV (CA Redemption Value) and the raw aluminum scrap. I haven't checked lately but aluminum beverage containers was paying around $2.00 a lb.

I still am waiting for someone to explain how paying 50 or 60 cents more a gallon at a "Chevron-Shell-Mobil is a sensible move.
I had a reason for that non-sensible move many years ago. Around 1991 I lived in the So-Cal desert Antelope Valley. My wife was driving her 70 Chrysler 300 2dr, one afternoon she came home complaining that her car kept dying every time she stopped. So I took it for a short drive and it was running rough and wouldn't idle in gear at all. She had put gas in it earlier that day at an ARCO station. So I drove into town with it having about 1/2 tank of gas and filled it up at the Chevron station. Drove it home (about 15 miles) and it was running fine by the time I got home. A few months later I gassed up at a different ARCO with my 68 barracuda 318 and had the same result, wouldn't idle, ran rough, once I had room in the tank I filled up with Chevron and problem solved. Then of course being hard headed and cheap I put some ARCO gas in my 70 Ford F 250 with a 460 in it.. you guessed it same result, wouldn't idle ran rough. next day dumped in some Chevron gas and bingo problem solved. About 1 year later my wife was complaining about her car stalling and I asked where she got gas, she turned red faced and remembered I has asked her not to use ARCO anymore, she had forgotten. Put in good gas problem solved. I always look for the cheap gas to this day and will put any brand in our cars, no problems. Except I won't buy ARCO gas again. They don't sell that crap in my area anyway (Ohio). I have no idea why our cars at the time wouldn't run on that stuff but it did force me into the high priced Chevron for a cure. And KD I am with you, it makes no sense to me to buy overpriced gas if your cars run the same with the cheap stuff. ARCO excepted of course.

A friend has a Sinclair station and when he measures his tanks, he puts a putty like substance on the end of the ruler. It will react to water. He once got a delivery with 70 gallons of water.

Rescued a friend who's Cherokee wouldn't run right. Don't remember how, but we came to learn the Exxon station in Belle had pumped some horrible gas into a lot of cars. He had gassed up there before leaving town. They had to clean a lot of people's tanks, so that stuff does happen.

Guy was going to VT. snowmobiling and stopped at a cheap Charlie gas station. His truck was full but need gas for his machines, he filled his cans and off to VT. He gets and fills his machines but can felt funny. The water in the gas cans froze. Drain all the gas in the machines and put in fresh mix.

I usually buy nearest to me (also have only 2 gas stations) its a petrol station and a 76. so id say nearest to me.

I had a reason for that non-sensible move many years ago. Around 1991 I lived in the So-Cal desert Antelope Valley. My wife was driving her 70 Chrysler 300 2dr, one afternoon she came home complaining that her car kept dying every time she stopped. So I took it for a short drive and it was running rough and wouldn't idle in gear at all. She had put gas in it earlier that day at an ARCO station. So I drove into town with it having about 1/2 tank of gas and filled it up at the Chevron station. Drove it home (about 15 miles) and it was running fine by the time I got home. A few months later I gassed up at a different ARCO with my 68 barracuda 318 and had the same result, wouldn't idle, ran rough, once I had room in the tank I filled up with Chevron and problem solved. Then of course being hard headed and cheap I put some ARCO gas in my 70 Ford F 250 with a 460 in it.. you guessed it same result, wouldn't idle ran rough. next day dumped in some Chevron gas and bingo problem solved. About 1 year later my wife was complaining about her car stalling and I asked where she got gas, she turned red faced and remembered I has asked her not to use ARCO anymore, she had forgotten. Put in good gas problem solved. I always look for the cheap gas to this day and will put any brand in our cars, no problems. Except I won't buy ARCO gas again. They don't sell that crap in my area anyway (Ohio). I have no idea why our cars at the time wouldn't run on that stuff but it did force me into the high priced Chevron for a cure. And KD I am with you, it makes no sense to me to buy overpriced gas if your cars run the same with the cheap stuff. ARCO excepted of course.
Had the same problem with Exxon gas and I worked at the refinery. Even had an Exxon card that got me a 10% discount but when my cars started dying when coming to a stop, I suspected the gas. When my Belvedere /6 started pinging and the timing was on the money I knew it was the gas. The Shell station liked it when I came in with my Exxon shirt lol. This happened in the mid/late 80's. The Exxon station is long gone and the Shell station sold the location a few years ago after having that location for over 50 years. I'm thinking they didn't want to deal with the old tanks needing to be replaced. There were two Exxon locations fairly close to me and now both locations have other businesses there. One place is a bank and the other is a Sonic. The Shell location is still a gas station but doesn't seem to have much business. It's a ETA but think it's affiliated with Shell?

I cross the border whenever I can. Yesterday gas here was $7.14 for a U.S. gallon. Across the border $ 4.81 after adding 35% for the dollar difference.

I cross the border whenever I can. Yesterday gas here was $7.14 for a U.S. gallon. Across the border $ 4.81 after adding 35% for the dollar difference.
$2.85 here for E10. It's good to see it below $3.

Auto Transport Service
Back