• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GD dumpster gouge !@#$%^ Anyone else pay for one?

Crazy, they say one man's trash is another man's fortune.
B9CE2606-D6A7-4777-B530-99B3A37F222E.gif

Republic 3 month bill, one pick up a week, $55.47

I have thought seriously about buying or making my own "can" as they call it in that business, and (bear with me here)....

...buying a wrecker or roll back truck with a wheel lift and modifying it to lift the dumpster.

Our landfill charges $10 under 1 ton and then $36.50 per ton.

I could literally spend that $145-$175 a month difference on a roll back truck which would still be a write-off !!!

It seems as the smaller trash companies are getting swallowed by the bigger ones left and right.
It's been going on here for years. Survival of the fittest. Republic asked if I wanted a recycling bin. I asked why, 85 percent of all recycling goes in the trash and end up side by side with the garbage. One less trash bin in my garage.

The last dick move republic did to me (which was the last straw) was to add a $19 a month "container refresh" fee.

The brochure with the bill said "great news"!. You can now get a shiny new container any time by simply calling us.

...and in fine print at the bottom was "you're automatically opted in at the low price of $19.95 per month added to your bill. If for any reason you'd like to opt out, simply contact us".

It took 2 months to get ahold of someone to "opt out" an another 3 months of threats before it finally came off the bill.

That's a hundred dollars they stole from me.

The last dick move republic did to me (which was the last straw) was to add a $19 a month "container refresh" fee.

The brochure with the bill said "great news"!. You can now get a shiny new container any time by simply calling us.

...and in fine print at the bottom was "you're automatically opted in at the low price of $19.95 per month added to your bill. If for any reason you'd like to opt out, simply contact us".

It took 2 months to get ahold of someone to "opt out" an another 3 months of threats before it finally came off the bill.

That's a hundred dollars they stole from me.
My neighbor has a company come by once a month and power wash his trash bin. I don't throw garbage in my bin, I put my garbage in a plastic bags and put them in my garage bin. You can eat out my trash bin. I don't do nasty smelling bins in my garage.

It's a dumpster outside a commercial building, in the back.

I honestly don't care what it looks like.

I'd rather it not smell though. So far it hasn't.

Our waste is rolled in with water as well. $210 is our average. We have garbage, recycle and yard waste bins all picked up weekly.

I have heard that trash collection is one of the Mafia's most lucrative enterprises.
Yes it is and WM is or was a Mafia run service as is most of the waste management services in the US. I used to sell for Stockton CA Scavenger Service and WM was our biggest competition. Funny but after doing a deal, shortly after the contracts would be canceled and the customer had switched to WM. Every 3 months here in Reno I get billed for just shy of 100.00 for 2 bins...one for trash picked up every week, and one for recycle at every other week. Hell they won't even offer a composting service here and all yard waste goes in the trash bin. Just can never win for loosing I guess...cr8crshr/Bill:usflag::usflag::usflag:

Once did a deal with someone I knew that owned a beer joint to pick up his trash in turn for all his cans and he jumped on it. He got rid of the dumpster and bought a few more big trash cans and bagged them all separate from the trash etc. Was picking up 2-3 times a week and making pretty good money....for awhile.

My residence cost for trash, water and sewer was 34 bucks last month up from 29 but that's for the 65 and older exemption. Also have a recycle can. Heck, it would take me 3 weeks to fill up the trash can since most of what I have going out goes in the recycle can. These cans are made for the trucks that have the side load tongs only WM here doesn't have those. Instead they have the auxiliary tongs on the back in case the can is too heavy but there's always two guys on the back and they will just both heave the can in and dump it since it's faster to do it that way. Anyways, I use the trash can for throwing small scrap steel stuff in since it will hold at least 500 lbs. I drilled holes in the sides where I can slide a bar through it and then hoist it up and back my pickup under it. The scrap yard just brings a small dumpster to the back of the truck and we just push it over into the dumpster and then pull the can out.

Mugshot of the offender-

20230116_132209.jpg

Actually, it's just a pawn in the dirty business of solid waste pick up.

Auto Transport Service
Back