• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gen 3 Hemi Swap > Comprehensive Cost and Parts List

ATX B Body

Local time
10:55 AM
Reaction score
Hemi 3.jpg

Intro
Howdy Mopar enthusiasts! I am sharing my journey swapping a 5.7 Hemi and A727 into to my 1969 Satellite. I bought the car 18 months ago after the car had been sitting for 10+ years. My Satellite came from the factory with a 318/904, column shift and 741 case 8 ¾ rear end. It’s an AC car with the 26” radiator core support, but I removed all the AC components. The frame is in good shape and the body panels and floor pan have the usual rust issues that were reasonably addressed 15 years ago along with a serviceable paint job. Long ago, the right front passenger corner was wrecked, and someone replaced the front clip with a 69 Coronet front end. I happen to like the Coronet front end better than the Satellite, but it confuses a lot of folks at the car meets. The car has an awful bumble bee stripe that is wrong for the car – and it’s not even correct for a Super Bee. The paint is in great shape, so I am not going to paint over it. I'm going to do some kind of wrap to cover it. Anyway, I felt all these factors made it a great candidate for a hemi swap.

Hemi 1.jpg

Pre-Build Research
It was challenging trying to decide on which combination of engine, transmission, controller and wiring harness to use. It was also a challenge to decide on swapping used parts versus buying everything new. Ultimately, I decided to use ALL new parts, so I could minimize the potential for mismatched parts and limit the “startup” troubleshooting that so many folks have. Rather than source a used engine, I chose the Mopar Performance 5.7 Crate Engine with the factory controller and wiring. I had to replace my 904 transmission anyway, so I chose a new A727 TCI transmission.

Early on, I decided to use the Holley B Body Gen 3 Hemi Swap components because they make just about everything. Everything they provided fits great. The engine and transmission fit without conflict of any kind and the headers and exhaust fit exactly as you would hope without fabrication or denting.

The other extremely valuable resource was Bouchillon Performance Engineering. Bouchillon makes those hard-to-find components which let the 50 year old parts talk to the new parts. Randy Bouchillon probably knows more about swapping Gen 3’s than anybody – including Holley and he will gladly provide advice if you call him. He makes some crucial products for my build and the quality is outstanding.

The project took 5 months because I was building this project during Covid. I waited for months for so many parts. Could have been done in 4 weeks if all the parts were available.

Here are some of the resources I used:
https://www.holley.com/products/eng...74_mopar_b-body_gen_iii_hemi_swap_components/
https://www.diyhemi.com/
https://bouchillonperformance.com/
https://board.moparts.org/ubbthread...7339/let-the-hemi-swap-begin.html#Post1577339
https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/will-gen-iii-hemi-fit-project-measured/
https://www.allpar.com/threads/modern-mopar-chrysler-dodge-5-7-hemi-magnum-v8-engines.230003/
https://www.dodgegarage.com/news/ar...hemi-engine-quick-reference-guide-part-i.html

About this Build List
I’ve included every part component used in the build, with the exception of misc. fasteners, tech screws, nuts and bolts. Where possible, I have identified part numbers and the general reason the part was needed. All labor, backyard engineering and fabrication was performed by David Gibson of Gibson Engine Development in ATX.

Parts List and Cost (Not including Labor)
Swap List 0.jpg
Swap List 1.jpg
Swap List 2.jpg
Swap List 3.jpg

Engine Swap Notes
I considered using a used 5.7 from a salvage yard, but we don’t have many reputable sources in ATX. At a minimum, I wanted a newly salvaged engine rather than something that was sitting on a shelf for years.

I also looked at Cleveland Performance and MARS LS Swap because they put together a really good swap package. They set it up so you can see it run before they send it to you. The low mile swap kits they sell are pretty close in price to the Mopar Performance crate engine so I didn’t want to gamble on a used motor.

The Mopar Performance crate engine kit is available from many vendors, so shop around to get the best price. I got mine from the salesman “Frog” at moparproshop.com. Only bummer was $450 to drop ship to the house.

Once installed the engine fired right up and all components worked as expected. We located the ECM under the dash rather than in the engine bay. I have a new Dakota Digital Gauge Cluster and the ECM communicates great with the cluster. You do need the Dakota Digital BIM-01-2 OBD-II/CAN module in order for the gauge to receive the tachometer and the oil pressure signal. I’m told this has something to do with the Mopar’s desire to discourage aftermarket tuning.

The crate engine comes with oil, but you have to swap the oil pan so if you can’t capture the oil, you will need 7 more quarts.

I adapted engine covers from the 6.4 and I deleted the AC and got a blanking plate from Vintage Air to clean up the engine bay.

Hemi 2.jpg

Transmission/Driveline Components

Because I was swapping from a 904 to a 727, my swap was a little more complicated. I had to get a new column shifter cable and I could only find one vendor (ididit) who made one. You will also need the something for kickdown. Bouchillon solved the problem perfectly with a well-engineered throttle pressure system assembly, but it is pricey.

Happy Swapping!

Hemi 4.jpg

Last edited:
I spent about 7k on mine, but I used mostly factory parts.

I see a transmission adapter listed. I thought the bell bolt pattern was the same. Why the adapter? Is the crank flange different?

It’s for distance to the starter/flex plate. Any small block Mopar trans will bolt up to the Gen 3 Hemi’s. The bolt hole isn’t used on the trans/bell housing. Hell, some don’t use the 1/8 thick spacer at all.

I see a transmission adapter listed. I thought the bell bolt pattern was the same. Why the adapter? Is the crank flange different?
The adapter is related to the Holley transmission mount kit. They have a universal bracket for all transmission options and specific mount adapter for each transmission.

That is a great looking conversion and well laid out. Thanks for posting this list and info!

The trans adapter is just a flex plate.

The trans adapter is just a flex plate.
This is the 3rd different explanation....

It’s for distance to the starter/flex plate. Any small block Mopar trans will bolt up to the Gen 3 Hemi’s. The bolt hole isn’t used on the trans/bell housing. Hell, some don’t use the 1/8 thick spacer at all.
I don't understand the "bolt hole" reference.
The adapter is related to the Holley transmission mount kit. They have a universal bracket for all transmission options and specific mount adapter for each transmission.

So what is the adapter? What does it look like?

Small blocks have 3 holes across the top where the trans bolts to. On Gen 3 Hemi transmissions, there is only 2.

upload_2021-9-15_13-49-1.jpeg

See the missing top bolt hole? This is a Gen 3 Hemi trans.

upload_2021-9-15_13-53-13.jpeg

The black pieces are the spacer and the tc adapter.

This is the 3rd different explanation....

I don't understand the "bolt hole" reference.

So what is the adapter? What does it look like?
69 RR Convertible
SB B-Body 727 - No speedo cable issues or shifter issues or kickdown issues
ATI Flexplate https://www.jegs.com/i/ATI/085/915685/10002/-1#
Hemi 8 bolt hardware and torque convertor bolts

I fabricated my own dust shield and used a mini starter mounted on the drivers side.

When I started my swap I found a cheat sheet done by Herb McCandless. I have bolt in exhaust manifolds with heat shields. If you didn't know that the 5.7 wasn't available in 1969 my car could pass an OE inspection. I have this engine detailed like a production line install. I love it when people ask me how I got a serpentine on a Gen II Hemi. Most never realize.

DSCN1416.JPG

Last edited:
Pretty expensive flexplate bolts 4 & 22.97 each? total $91.88
Is that a pack of 4 for 22.97?
Good information. I might do this some day with a 2008 6.1L Gen III I bought for a swap, but want to use a modern transmission.
My engine came with the NAG1. I think Holley is nor making the computers that can operate the engine and trans?

Pretty expensive flexplate bolts 4 & 22.97 each? total $91.88
Is that a pack of 4 for 22.97?
Good information. I might do this some day with a 2008 6.1L Gen III I bought for a swap, but want to use a modern transmission.
My engine came with the NAG1. I think Holley is nor making the computers that can operate the engine and trans?
With an 2008 motor you should just need the MSD Hemi 6

Didn’t know that Kern, never had a 904 or 727.

69 RR Convertible
SB B-Body 727 - No speedo cable issues or shifter issues or kickdown issues
ATI Flexplate https://www.jegs.com/i/ATI/085/915685/10002/-1#
Hemi 8 bolt hardware and torque convertor bolts

I fabricated my own dust shield and used a mini starter mounted on the drivers side.

When I started my swap I found a cheat sheet done by Herb McCandless. I have bolt in exhaust manifolds with heat shields. If you didn't know that the 5.7 wasn't available in 1969 my car could pass an OE inspection. I have this engine detailed like a production line install. I love it when people ask me how I got a serpentine on a Gen II Hemi. Most never realize.

View attachment 1166738

What valve covers and intake are you using?

What about your battery? Is it mounted below the air cleaner? Ooops just saw the relocation kit note in the parts list

That's a super helpful parts list. I've been working on my own for a future 6.4l swap. I've got a few more things I'm going to be tackling at the same time so my total is way higher, but it's cool to see how reasonably priced the swap can be done. How much of your list did you know you needed at the beginning vs. how much did you have to go hunt down after you got started?

Hi, I’m building a 69 charger with a 6.4 crate and the new TKX 5 spd tremec. Got mostly everything ordered . 2 questions please:
Was the Holley fuel pump module you used loud ?
I called Holley to ask about that part # for noise complaints and the guy I talked to really had no idea. I believe it’s internally regulated at 58 lbs, so no regulator needed. It does show you ran a return line back to the tank ? What fitting did u run that to?
Also said you used a factory challenger electric fan assy, did that plug into the mopar harness, and how much fab did u need to do to get it to fit the radiator ?
I was planning on a complete radiator/fan assy from griffin or similar , upper and lower hoses both on right side.
Thank you , Matt

Auto Transport Service
Back