• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

" Go wing" dilemma

Install the go wing on the original deck lid?

• Just do it, mount it on the car, as is.

Votes: 14 20.6%
  • Repair used deck lid and install.

Votes: 25 36.8%
  • Don't install anything, leave the car as is.

Votes: 29 42.6%

• Total voters
Here is the installation diagram I got with my wing from First Place. The instructions on the back say if you have an early deck lid without the pre-punched slots to drill the four holes for the wing, moun it, and tack weld the reinforcing bracket.

Ok, tried twice, can't attach the .pdf scan of the diagram. Will try and PM it.

Ok, thanks. Just from the pics this is a lot clearer to me now.

First let me say you have one sweet GTX ! As for me I like it as it is now and I say no dont put it on. I like them better without it. Ron

yeah EV thats my purple RR in the avatar. ill have to get some pix on a site and DL from it. i tried to DL directly from my puter and it asked me for some link. ill get them. i see someone has given you pix of the correct brackets, so that should be alot easier for ya....or bring the car to pittsburg and i will be more than happy to install it for ya!

First let me say you have one sweet GTX ! As for me I like it as it is now and I say no dont put it on. I like them better without it. Ron

Thanks Ron, you sound like my brother he's always told me not to put it on, leave it alone. I like it the way it is too, which is why I've been going back and forth with this for about 3 years now :confused4:

yeah EV thats my purple RR in the avatar. ill have to get some pix on a site and DL from it. i tried to DL directly from my puter and it asked me for some link. ill get them. i see someone has given you pix of the correct brackets, so that should be alot easier for ya....or bring the car to pittsburg and i will be more than happy to install it for ya!

Ok topdog...look forward to seeing the pics, and thanks for your help.

I hope I don't come off as a complete doofus here, but has anyone ever tried or considered mounting one of these things magnetically?
A powerful magnet in each upright or pillar would hold the wing in place in just about any regular driving/cruising/show-field situation, but could be removed fot high speed work and/or racing. Or If you just get tired of it for awhile.
Check out how the pizza delivery guys hold thier signs to thier roofs....same principal.
A piece of 18 or 16 ga steel cut to the pedestal's cross section profile and attatched w countersunk flat head screws, then use larger magnets on the underside of the decklid might work too.

Magnets don't have to be big to be powerful. I don't know how much room, if any, is available up inside the pedestal, so the logistics and feasability are unknown to me. It's just a suggestion, doofus-y or not

DO I or DON`T I ?????

Just thought i`d stir the pot alittle. LOVE that car and the colour combo :headbang: !!!!
Had a 70 Runner without a wing. My 70 Charger never had the wing, but i do like the looks & know exactly were you`re coming from. :argue:
I did get a spare trunk lid ,w/the cutouts, & put on a factory original, myself. I also did some digging first & was told that alot of times these wings were dealer installed anyway, depending on the customer who was dishing out the dough $$$. I have my original mint lid waiting in the wings (pardon the pun) for maybe reinstallation someday??? if i ever decide to sell it???
Go the route of waiting to get a decent deck lid, with the cut outs (so you can sleep @ night knowing it`s not a rusty piece of junk back there). You will need those cut outs, they are strategically cut & allow for the screw clips & room to work, etc....
If you`re doing this to make someone else happy, then leave the car alone, but you know what YOU want so do it!!! :eek:ccasion14: My 2 cents

Attachments

• IMG.jpg
    IMG.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 313
  • Charger-6.jpg
    Charger-6.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 323
  • Charger-7.jpg
    Charger-7.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 296
Thanks for the kind words 6 pak....so you know where I'm coming from..LOL, but at least I have finally decided to wait(AGAIN) and re-do my spare lid as time and money permit and leave the original alone. I just can't bring myself to punch holes in it.....I guess it's a peice of mind thing for me. Like you say....sleep at night!

That is likely one of the best Chargers that I've seen, you've got yourself a real sweetheart there....all your hard work has paid off, I only wish I had your skills! Congrats to you....just make sure you drive it and show everyone, that's an accomplishment to be truly proud of!!
:3gears:

I was going to weigh in and say don't do it, but then I saw 6pak's pictures... hot damn that ride looks sweet with the wing!

Now I'm conflicted on this as well! Best plan is to get another lid, paint it to match and attach the wing, then interchange 'em depending on your mood.

Drill Baby Drill

Go for it...you bought the wing so put it on...it would look cool...Marla:brave:

Attachments

• The Roadrunner...December 007.JPG
    The Roadrunner...December 007.JPG
    160.5 KB · Views: 258
1970 gtx

That 70GTX looks to nice to drill any panel...I would keep it stock....If you EVER do sell it that would hurt what you could get..The 70 GTX in my opinion is the BEST one ever made!!!..I see the Burnt Orange over Burnt Orange often but, I have not seen too many Vitamin C Orange over White :eusa_think:.of My .02 cents

Hello everyone...

Here’s my dilemma that’s been goin..g on for a couple of years now. I bought a “go wing” for the car a few years ago and it’s been sitting in its box all this time because I can never really decide what to do. It’s a very nice reproduction from First Place Auto Products and it’s an authentic Mopar restoration product so it is the correct fit, finish etc.

The car was not originally equipped with it, but I really do like the look of them. It's a numbers matching car. Part of the struggle is that every time I lay out the measurements on the deck lid I can’t bring myself to drill the holes in the damn thing!! Sooooooo, I bought another deck lid off of a 70 runner for this reason...but, it requires a lot of rust repair and paint before it can go on the car. Cash is tight for me this year, so if I go this route it’ll have to wait until god knows when, once again.

So here’s the question....just do it...or wait until I repair the other deck lid and use it to keep the original lid in its excellent condition?

I’m very interested to see what you guys have to say!!

Thanks!

I LIKE the Javelin. The others can just take up bandwidth. I will drool on this one.

I have a 71 SST Javelin with a 360 and auto. It sat for 20 years, and was about to get crushed. I got it and I have done what I want to it.
DSCN4511.jpg

I had a go-wing on the 70 roadrunner I just sold. Honestly, it was one of the biggest reasons I bought the car in the first place. I love the look on that year..

I'd install it. You have literally forever to find a mint, rust free trunk lid and there are a fair share of them out there. If you want to repaint another lid for any reason, do it at that time.

Live in the present...if you like the looks, install it :)

It's a beautiful car, it would look even better with the wing if you ask my opinion. It makes the car look a little shorter in the rear.

I would put it on a different deck lid so you can always go back to the way it came.

this ^^^^ nothing better than options. i like wings , and have had one on just about every mopar ive owned. get you another deck lid, get it painted and mount a wing on it. keep the original original and change it up when you've had your fill lol

I never liked the look of the Go-Wing...always thought they looked like a cheap plastic afterthought, like those rice burner wings. But, my opinion only matters to me. I would fix the spare trunk with the wing, if your not in a hurry, spread the cost over time. Ultimately it's your right to do whatever you like. Rice rice baby.

Auto Transport Service
Back