• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

" Go wing" dilemma

Install the go wing on the original deck lid?

• Just do it, mount it on the car, as is.

Votes: 14 20.6%
  • Repair used deck lid and install.

Votes: 25 36.8%
  • Don't install anything, leave the car as is.

Votes: 29 42.6%

• Total voters

EV2 GTX

Local time
6:12 PM
Reaction score
Hello everyone...

Here’s my dilemma that’s been going on for a couple of years now. I bought a “go wing” for the car a few years ago and it’s been sitting in its box all this time because I can never really decide what to do. It’s a very nice reproduction from First Place Auto Products and it’s an authentic Mopar restoration product so it is the correct fit, finish etc.

The car was not originally equipped with it, but I really do like the look of them. It's a numbers matching car. Part of the struggle is that every time I lay out the measurements on the deck lid I can’t bring myself to drill the holes in the damn thing!! Sooooooo, I bought another deck lid off of a 70 runner for this reason...but, it requires a lot of rust repair and paint before it can go on the car. Cash is tight for me this year, so if I go this route it’ll have to wait until god knows when, once again.

So here’s the question....just do it...or wait until I repair the other deck lid and use it to keep the original lid in its excellent condition?

I’m very interested to see what you guys have to say!!

Thanks!

Last edited:
You need to add a pic to this thread- switching back and forth to your gallery is anoying - I like the look of the car as it is-and no i wouldnt drill into your org trunk lid - my vote is to repair the old lid -

But if you bought it- you obviously like the look of them-Do what u want-

I'm in a very similar dilemma, but still a few steps behind you (dont have another decklid or go wing yet). My 72 rr GTX did not come with one, but I think it would look a heck of a lot better with one! Since it wasnt an option in 72, i plan on finding a 71 lid that already has the underneath mounting holes and getting it sprayed. I'm not huge into the "if it wasnt there it shouldnt be there" theory. I even added the 71 blackouts on the rear valance of my car, again, because i think it looks better with them! So at some point, I'll be adding a go wing, but just not on the original lid.

numbers matching, build sheet without, etc. I would not do it. But that is just opinion.
I am not a rare , valuable cars guy.

I have a 69 GTO that was an auto, base 400 4bbl engine. It is now a RAIII 400 4 speed car drilled for hood pins, with judge spoiler and stickers, trans am exhaust tips, hood tach it did not originally come with, wrong paint on hood tach, spoiler, and hood scoops.

performancesignature.jpg

IMG_1255.jpg

I have a 71 SST Javelin with a 360 and auto. It sat for 20 years, and was about to get crushed. I got it and I have done what I want to it.
DSCN4511.jpg

I would not have messed with a true RA/4 speed GTO or Judge, or a 4 speed 401 SST Javelin or AMX.

Similarly, if you rescued a POS 74 smallblock, auto car with non original engine, about to be parted out, got it running, put in a free interior from a 73 satellite, did a 100$ driveway paint job, and roll with 20$ seat covers, then even the super cheap wings are a go.

RRTires001.jpg

RRTires006.jpg

I agree with ramairthree on all points. It's like we share a brain. I'd prefer to share a garage...a GTO, a Donahue-ish Javelin, and a Road Runner would sure class-up MY junk pile.

I agree with ramairthree on all points. It's like we share a brain. I'd prefer to share a garage...a GTO, a Donahue-ish Javelin, and a Road Runner would sure class-up MY junk pile.

thanks for the compliments,
but if you saw the hack job of a manual tranny hump weld into an auto floor mess under the gto carpet, and the way the driver's door lines up with the poorly hung rear quarter skin....

and the fact that my rustoluem roller paint job on the javelin and stickers look bad from ten yards away

and that my driveway spray on the RR came out even worse...

well, you might be ashamed to share a garage.

Just doing my part to keep the low end / little dollars of the muscle car economy alive with junkyard saves, pre-parting out rescues, and pre-salvage/scrapping saves! I know people that spend more on a bicycle than I got the Javelin or RR for- and that is not a joke.

Anyways, I love my cars, my wife hates them, and they won't win any shows,
but I do believe I have way more fun with them than guys do with their RAIV Judges and numbers matching 440-6 GTXs and such. (not that I would not want to own a mint, rare, expensive car- I love them, just can't afford them)

I have an early build 70 RR that didn't have the factory cutouts for the wing mounts under the trrunk lid. I found a Satellite in a boneyard that had the cutouts and had it painted to match my car and mounted the wing on that one. My only regret is not saving the old one, I sold it instead. I suggest get the spare lid fixed and mount your wing on that one when you have the cash, hang your existing lid on the wall. I think the black wing above the black on the tail panel and the black hood stripe will look bitchin'!

Just my two cents, I'm a wing guy. I like them, especially the 71 wing, it's my favorite year for cars. Anyways, having said that, I would still wait and get your other trunk lid fixed and put it on that one.

I have an early build 70 RR that didn't have the factory cutouts for the wing mounts under the trrunk lid. I found a Satellite in a boneyard that had the cutouts and had it painted to match my car and mounted the wing on that one. My only regret is not saving the old one, I sold it instead. I suggest get the spare lid fixed and mount your wing on that one when you have the cash, hang your existing lid on the wall. I think the black wing above the black on the tail panel and the black hood stripe will look bitchin'!

Thanks Greg, my original lid does not have the factory cutouts and neither does the spare lid that I have. Could you send me a couple of pics of your deck lid showing the cutouts? Then I would have something to go off when I work the other lid into shape.

Nice car, love the six pack. I'd like to take the original motor out of my car and put in a stroker with a six pack...someday.

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts, it's always interesting to kick around ideas and see what everyone thinks. Ramairthree has a good point, that when doing your own thing, it's sometimes a lot more fun. I always wanted an original car when I didn't have one, but sometimes feel handcuffed with one in regards to mods. I feel you have to be careful as these cars are getting fewer all the time and need to be preserved. Maybe I need to go rescue a salvage car and just do whatever I want!

ok...having already gone through you "dilemma"....i say this...ITS YOUR CAR DO WHAT YOU WANT.... with that said....i just put a go wing on my 1970 roadrunner. heres a suggestion. get the under deck brackets that fit into the curved corners. the spread is 36 inches for the go wing. so laying it out on the deck lid and HOPING you hit the correct places is a crap shoot. after you install the brackets...(the holes in the brackets are a PERFECT template).... drill from underneath to the outside. use a small drill bit first then one a little bit bigger than the studs. I WAS SCARED TO DEATH TO DRILL INTO MY ROADRUNNER..... but after it was done..i realized the outcome was worth the strife. just be careful and use sharp drill bits. good luck !

Really, the only reason I have my Cordoba is because I like to do stuff to old cars. I've had desirable cars in the past and no matter how many times I told myself "it's my car, I can do whatever I want to it", the decision to modify was always a tough one to make. I can do whatever I want to my 'Doba without concern to originality or value (one and the same with musclecars).

50 years from now some dude will own my current car and be saying "what the hell were they thinking back in '011!?"

Someday I'll be able to maintain a true collector and/or musclecar again, but for now I get my tinkerin' fix where I can find it.

Didn't mean to hijack the thread, EV2, good luck with that gorgeous GTX. Those things have the meanest-looking face in just about all of musclecar-dom.

Thanks Greg, my original lid does not have the factory cutouts and neither does the spare lid that I have. Could you send me a couple of pics of your deck lid showing the cutouts? Then I would have something to go off when I work the other lid into shape.

Nice car, love the six pack. I'd like to take the original motor out of my car and put in a stroker with a six pack...someday.

Sure, I'll try and get some pics tomorrow and post'em

ok...having already gone through you "dilemma"....i say this...ITS YOUR CAR DO WHAT YOU WANT.... with that said....i just put a go wing on my 1970 roadrunner. heres a suggestion. get the under deck brackets that fit into the curved corners. the spread is 36 inches for the go wing. so laying it out on the deck lid and HOPING you hit the correct places is a crap shoot. after you install the brackets...(the holes in the brackets are a PERFECT template).... drill from underneath to the outside. use a small drill bit first then one a little bit bigger than the studs. I WAS SCARED TO DEATH TO DRILL INTO MY ROADRUNNER..... but after it was done..i realized the outcome was worth the strife. just be careful and use sharp drill bits. good luck !

Thanks for the info tpod. I'll have to dig my wing kit out again and look at the brackets. It's been a while and I don't remember what it came with, but I think they were a curved bracket....
If that's the case, then no cutouts required?

Is that your car that you have for your avatar? If it is post some pics to your gallery, looks good but it'd be nice to see more!!

not sure on your year.

on my 74 the deck lid had the "mounds" where the cutouts go.
I just drilled and put the brackets there without doing a cut out.

Thanks, whenever you get time Greg, much appreciated :sSig_thanks:

PM sent

I took some pics of under the deck lid but the bracket covers most of the slots. I dug through the garage and basement, finally found the installation diagram from 1st Place. I'll scan it and PM it to you if I can't get it to load here. In the mean time...

Attachments

• DSC04998.JPG
    DSC04998.JPG
    116.8 KB · Views: 869
  • DSC04999.JPG
    DSC04999.JPG
    127.9 KB · Views: 875
Here is the installation diagram I got with my wing from First Place. The instructions on the back say if you have an early deck lid without the pre-punched slots to drill the four holes for the wing, moun it, and tack weld the reinforcing bracket.

Ok, tried twice, can't attach the .pdf scan of the diagram. Will try and PM it.

Auto Transport Service
Back