• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Going back to 3:23 from 3:91 Tech help and opinions needed

Hey guys -
How easy / difficult should it be to rotate the ring gear once installed? I'm not sure if I have the bearing preload too tight. The backlash is .010". Seems slightly stiff. I have yet to check the gear pattern until I know if I need to back off the bearing preload.

I’d shoot for no more than 30inlbs of rotational torque.

I marked the adjusters prior to disassembly. There is no way I can even get them to where they were. The SG unit's bearing cups are different than the open diff I'm replacing. I was hoping to get close with the marks and be more in the ballpark.

It’s gonna be different, so I’d start with the backlash and if the gears are used, concentrate on the coast side.

Is there a suitable replacement for gear marking compound? The only thing I could find locally is Prussian blue by Permatex. No local APS carry the yellow stuff.

everything torqued down, I'm at .006" backlash.
here are a couple pics.
image1 gear pattern.jpeg

image2 gear pattern.jpeg

What do you guys think??

Put your hand on the carrier for some drag as you turn the yoke, then post those pics. This will help you/us see the pattern better and gives a more realistic picture.

PS, rotate the yoke at least 5-6 times.

Ok, I was wondering why I couldn't tell much, thanks 5.7 hemi! After new application of compound, providing some drag, and rotating 6 times each direction.
IMG_6669 gear pattern 5.jpg

IMG_6667 gear pattern 6.jpg

Now, what do you think?

Spread the marking compound at 180* from what you have now. Then repeat the drag/rotation and post up what you get on both sets. You do this to confirm that the pattern is good all around, kinda like checking backlash at 4 spots 90* from one another.

So far I’m liking what I see.

No problem

Do I need to clean all this stuff out prior to installation in housing?

Looks good.
Just leave it, it’ll come off and mix with the gear oil.

Glad to help.

Auto Transport Service
Back