• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Goddess heart surgery

I've only rebuilt one 727 in my life and had help.....and 0 gear boxes!! Kinda odd with the way I abused ALL transmissions. Guess I wasn't abusing them enough but doing neutral drops and power shifting stick boxes should have been enough....?
I’ve never done a real rebuild on any transmission. I’ve mixed parts and somehow made stuff work on a 727 and this Frankenstein 833, all on the tailgate of a pickup :rofl:

What a great day. Took my lil red express to work, came home and got the valve seals on one head done and bolted the head back on. I don’t know if it was late, I just didn’t see it or what’s going on, but apparently I have a head bolt missing :BangHead:. I stole one from the other head just to get it done though.

7E92C4FD-AB4D-40E2-BA9E-B16FA8C84CA6.jpeg

2D487B2A-0F5D-4705-89D1-08AB840CEB7B.jpeg

Well poo. I either lost the new seal, or I forgot to order one. Either way I am unfortunately done for tonight. Still getting the old seal out was a major achievement :drinks:

With the engine out and accessible, your chances of putting the smack down on the leaks increases tremendously.

My other goal for this thread is to have a complete transparent discussion on everything going on, admitting any mistake, asking any questions, doesn’t matter how stupid it might seem, someone is going to read this having the same issue and go ooh.

So case in point, I didn’t take the crank completely out, I just unbolted the main caps and lifted it enough to slide it in, probably not the best way, but that’s how I did it. Now it seems number 7 piston is hitting the counter weight. How do I fix that?

Maybe I'm fuzzy from the medication I'm on but why take out the crank? You can replace bearings with the crank in place.
I had a rear main leak when I reinstalled my engine in the red car last year. I just pulled out the seal retainer and fixed what was wrong.

@Kern Dog , I hope you are doing better.

I’m replacing the rear main seal. I’ve had help replacing one in another car with the engine in. But it’s a pain, and I wanted to change the cam, so pulling the engine made more sense. I tried to not touch the crank, just pull the seal, which was the original rope, put the new one in. But after spending a couple day’s fighting it, it was really squished in there, probably why it was leaking, I had to give in and get the crank off it

Thanks for the well wishes.
OOoops! I forgot that you had a "rope" seal in there. I have never actually used one in all of my years so it didn't occur to me the difficulty of removal of one.

Well damn it, it was just a flywheel bolt. It's always stupidly obvious things, and then when you come back and find it, makes you want to bang your head against the wall. Good thing my carport doesn’t have walls

Valve springs changed, head torqued down. Time to hibernate until this evening. Using a 1970 chiltons manual my grandfather bought new. Unfortunately he’s no longer with us, but his knowledge always will be

1D2F2F5F-66FD-4ED7-9CBB-5D3E88E0B230.jpeg

5CC1EDD7-7A50-432F-824D-30E49CAC9F83.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back