• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Got a letter from the City

This is why I could never live in a town. I live 25 miles from town and that isn't really far enough.
What he said.

If your car is in the driveway, then it can't be that bad.
If you really want to show your neighbors the meaning of property devaluation: sell your place to a group of immigrants. Your neighbors will wish they were looking at your car when Julio, and Pablo, and Juan, and Diego move 30 cars into your former yard. Lol And there's 30 people living in the house

Well its his house not mine. I get in my car and leave not look at my neighbors front yards. When I spend time outside i spend it in my back yard by my pool not staring at my neighbors house

So that means your a part of the problem and not the solution.

All my junk is either in the shop, beside it or behind it. It doesn't hurt that the front door of my shop is 120 feet from the edge of the street and seeing what's beside it isn't exactly easy. Most of my neighbors are pretty cool with something sitting out in the drive way short term. Key word, short term. I know all too well about health issues and have been dealing with my wife's most of the week and seems like lately, if it isn't her, it's me.

We have a guy out here that has even said he likes to collect junk. Well, he's right across the street and I'm not real keen on seeing all his junk every time I open my front door. Don't really care how much junk one collects but keep it where I don't have to see it and so long as it's not harboring varmits. I bought a decent home and sure don't want to drive down a road that looks like junk yard row when leaving or coming home. If I wanted to live in a junk yard, I would have bought one. This neighborhood has been here for over 50 years and I've been living in it for 32 and most keep their places looking decent. Now that the city surrounded us and gave us codes etc to live by, seems things started going down hill.

Last edited:
Ok i apologize but i dont understand what you are saying here? Im not an *** and if he would have spoken to me we could have come to a resolution on the situation and if the only way to make him happy would be to move it in I'd do it as soon as I recover from my upcoming surgery.
I have seen many simple situations turn ugly quick and I have seen them work out. I understand your "butt hurt" because he didn't confront you and you got a letter from the city. I get that and had it done to me in the past. Did I throw around excuses and get angry at my neighbor? Not at all...I did exactly what the letter stated and here is the key...LET IT GO it is not that serious......

Like ski said have a beer with the guy. He could be your next best friend...

simple solution build a 8 foot fence around your **** and put this on your front gate

thank god I'm in Australia, we tend to MIND OUR OWN BUSINESS , no block party's here and none of this
images

outdoor car cover does wonders to disguise it as a runner, or at least hide the eye sore

73bird, This was just a car shell right? No trash, no varmints, no car parts laying all over the driveway, no oil, gas running down the driveway? If it's the pic you have in your profile pic then there is nothing wrong with that. The a hole that complained is miserable with their life and does not want to see other people being happy with their lives. What you have in your driveway will not bring down the value of any house on your street. Maybe he wants a mopar and his wife said no.

You should paint your house some hideous color this weekend. Then pick up a 100 pink flamingos put them in your front yard.

Move next door to me, you can have your car in the driveway and your neighbors will come over and admire it not complain.

This is just one of the houses in my town, their neighbor next door has tractors, trailer, trucks and what some would consider trash in his yard, driveway. No issues with either person.
20161007_200207.jpg

I don't care what anyone says, your neighbor is a jealous
jackass.jpg

Next week they will call and complain to the town that your running a unlicensed car repair facility out of your house.

Last edited:
Inoperable vehicles
Phoenix City Code Chapter 39, Sec. 39-7H
Inoperable vehicles must not be visible from beyond the bounds of the property. An inoperable vehicle is one that is not equipped with all parts that are required to legally and safely operate on public streets and/or cannot be driven under its own power. Car covers, tarps, bamboo, shades and other similar types of materials are not acceptable screening.

Inoperable vehicles
Phoenix City Code Chapter 39, Sec. 39-7H
Inoperable vehicles must not be visible from beyond the bounds of the property. An inoperable vehicle is one that is not equipped with all parts that are required to legally and safely operate on public streets and/or cannot be driven under its own power. Car covers, tarps, bamboo, shades and other similar types of materials are not acceptable screening.
Did you read the code or just post you interpretation of the code. This is copied and pasted out of the code you put in you post,
"A single inoperable vehicle in combination with any of the above described conditions shall be deemed a violation of this subsection."
It does not say just the car is a violation there has to be more.
It also states
"It is an affirmative defense to a violation of this subsection based on the presence of an inoperable vehicle that the vehicle was registered to a resident of the property, that the vehicle was undergoing repair, and that the total period during which the vehicle was inoperable did not exceed fifteen days. This affirmative defense may not be raised more than three times in any combination of civil or criminal proceedings in any one calendar year." So his neighbor complained, the city watched it for 15 days then sent the letter. Great way to spend everyone's tax dollars watching that law breaking car restoring criminal.

Last edited:
I got everyone around me trained they leave me alone I keep it decent looking if it is crappy looking no doors ect. I cover it up . I am respectful of people and help everyone when they ask and likewise we actually all get along really good this hurricane just hit and it showed how our hood is the elderly help the younger stupid people out with supply s the young help fix things for the old . They call me the king of the hood here . Everyone knows me I know everyone I help everyone and ask for nothing in return I literally gave away my plywood that I needed to someone who needed it more I made do (old rusty b body hood does wonders ) there was a group of us going around right after the storm passed to check on everyone see if anyone needed anything .
And for my good will I can do whatever I want

Did you read the code or just post you interpretation of the code. This is copyed and pasted out of the code you put in you post, "A single inoperable vehicle in combination with any of the above described conditions shall be deemed a violation of this subsection." It does not say just the car there has to be more.
That was straight from the city of Phoenix website???

Maybe you should read back where the OP got a letter from the city.......You interpreted it as "More" So if thats the case the city would not have sent a formal demand letter.....BUT......Apparently, they did! So your are "Incorrect" on your interpretation....

Guess I did read that, lol

I got everyone around me trained they leave me alone I keep it decent looking if it is crappy looking no doors ect. I cover it up . I am respectful of people and help everyone when they ask and likewise we actually all get along really good this hurricane just hit and it showed how our hood is the elderly help the younger stupid people out with supply s the young help fix things for the old . They call me the king of the hood here . Everyone knows me I know everyone I help everyone and ask for nothing in return I literally gave away my plywood that I needed to someone who needed it more I made do (old rusty b body hood does wonders ) there was a group of us going around right after the storm passed to check on everyone see if anyone needed anything .
And for my good will I can do whatever I want
The epitome of being neighborly:thumbsup: The same situation like that is here in my neighborhood. It is like our own little world in a big city!

Maybe you should read back where the OP got a letter from the city.......You interpreted it as "More" So if thats the case the city would not have sent a formal demand letter.....BUT......Apparently, they did! So your are "Incorrect" on your interpretation....

It says more than one inoperable car is a violation, right? He said he had one car in the driveway. He can then have said car in the driveway for up to 15 days. If he was past the 15 days then he in violation. I did not see where he had more then one car. In my post earlier I was just pointing out that it was not a mess. So it's not a big deal in most people's lives. Some people just need something to complain about to justify there own misery.

Last edited:

I did not interpret "more" the more in the code refers to one car and a list of trash items in the yard. So the code says if you yard is a trash dump and you have a inoperable car on your property then you are in violation with the car as well.

Last edited:
I did not interpret "more" the more in the code refers to one car and a list of trash items in the yard. So the code reads if you yard is a trash dump and you have a inoperable car on your property then you in violation with the car as well.
Section H #3 subsection b has been violated......Formal letter sent to the property owner....That is proper legal course of the city.....

Section H #3 subsection b has been violated......Formal letter sent to the property owner....That is proper legal course of the city.....
I'm not arguing that he is not in violation, I was stating that he had only one car and no trash so he would be ok for 15 days. He had the car out there for 6 months, yes a violation letter.

I also was just pointing out that some people said there house value will go down with junk yard property's around them, yes the value would go down but his yard did not look like a junk yard in the pic.
I just think his neighbor was going a bit overboard complaining.

Things work nicely when everyone plays nicely together . My hood is also 90% retired vets or currently enlisted so we all have a good mind set and the same training and we all agree when crap hits the fan were literally going to make our hood a compound we have it all planned out and we have the ability to make it disappear from unwanted people so I feel safe and so does my wife were definitely not the neighborhood to mess with god help someone trying to rob one of us.

But we're I used to live I had the same thing going but I had a renter next door and the renters were never the problem the *** hole who owned the house was I had a huge f350 work truck tool body welder comp ect. And he called the city and they came out and looked it was 3"over the legal hight for residential area it was my light bar for night time work I got a call from the people across the street saying some guys measuring my truck I went out there he was filling out the paperwork I asked why what ect he told me I proceeded to take the blue wrench out and cut the light rake off completely I looked at him and said is it legal now he ripped the paperwork up and said Yup have a nice day the Chinese guy was so pissed he was trying to rent the house out and people said the truck was an eye soar. I said well if you would of asked I could of parked it in the woods next to the house he said OK great I said nope you didn't ask I kept my yard just within legal standards for the next 6 month s till he finally apologized then I said no problem ask next time and parked my truck in the woods till he rented the house out easy as that . Shame he was being such an *** hole about it the poor code enforcement guy was getting sick of measuring my grass and coming over he did find it comical he came by to see what happened since he stopped getting calls he wanted to see if I was OK I guess I told him he apologized he laughed and said I guess I'll see you next time he wants to rent the house out!
I personally don't care to a point about a car in the driveway stuff happens my truck blew up it's sitting in the front yard people asked what was wrong I explained then I asked if they needed it moved they said no and that was that guy next door said I need to sell my house I said OK I need a day to make magic I had the place looking brand new house sold truck came back

Auto Transport Service
Back