• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Got the Classic Backyard Buddy 4 post lift installed today...

An old friend of mine used to say, "A clean workbench is a sign of a sick mind".
I always clean the bench and the garage after the last job and put all tools away. That way I am ready to go with the next new job. I can't tell you how annoying it is at some of my other buddies garages when we spend more time looking for tools and parts than we do actually working on the task at hand.

Plus the fact that lifts are almost always rated less than what they car actually handle. Most of the time it is by a factor of 1.5 . That 7K rating on the back yard buddy is a conservative number.

Mine is rated for 7000 lbs. First thing I did was put my 74 New Yorker up on it at 6420 lbs to test it out before the installers even left. It lifted as high as I can with no problem and did not even bog it down from the weight.

For what it's worth$$.. Check out Greg Smith Equipment Indianapolis. I bought a 9,000lb 4-post with rollers, hyd. chasis jack, extra bottle jack tray, 4 drip trays for 3K. +200 bucks freight and another 200 bucks for the roll-off to back up the the semi and drag it out and put it in my drive. Came in a 2'x2'x10' wooden crate. Took me about 5 hrs to uncrate, read the directions, have a few beers now and then, and assemble. Love it! Had to re-arrange a few ceiling rafters but I can get the car up so that I can at least walk around "hunched over" or sit on a roll around shop chair. Still can roll it out into the drive so I can raise it to the full height.

IMG_20160701_163028.jpg

IMG_20160701_163107.jpg

IMG_20160701_163236.jpg

Here is the answer. 8 feet at 12 inches per foot would be 96 inches Do I earn a scholarship to
Mopar School?

Man, I am having a hard time with what pricing on stuff like this has done in the past 3 years. I paid under 4K for a Rotary 2 post lift installed about 10 years ago. At that time I think 4 posts like these we are talking about were selling for around $1500- $2000.

I paid $2495 Cdn (tax in) for my Direct Lift 9000F 2 post 10 years ago and their 4 posts at the time were about $3900CDN. I had a 4 post ordered last year and was waiting for it to come in on the boat ready to pay $7800 Cdn with one rolling jack and the week before it arrived I made a deal on the exact same lift "used" (had a car stored on it for 6 months) for $4500 Cdn. Wife is still on me that I should have bought the one that I ordered as well!!

Man, I am having a hard time with what pricing on stuff like this has done in the past 3 years. I paid under 4K for a Rotary 2 post lift installed about 10 years ago. At that time I think 4 posts like these we are talking about were selling for around $1500- $2000.
I bought an Advantage 4 post back in 2019. they have almost doubled in price since then.

I have one that I bought probably 15 years ago or more with no issues. Worked with most vehicles with my 11' ceilings. Now at my 3rd location with the lift and built 12' ceilings at locations 2 and 3. My '69 RR fits nicely but '38 Plymouth coupe doesn't have much room to spare at the top. Cannot get much room under with 8' ceilings.

It would seem that at a 7k lb. capacity that the Ram will be close to the limit and the Suburban likely over capacity?
Not a 4 post, but this video shows a 2 post being overloaded to the point of mechanical failure. The pump was not capable of lifting enough weight to cause failure, they had to slave in a more powerful pump.

Damn cool video! It took alot of effort to set that up.

Would you mind sharing the installers info? Preparing to have a four-poster installed soon.

Thanks
Neil

I'm sure that works just fine if you're 5' 1" tall. :poke:
I have 10' 3" floor to ceiling and can stand up just fine under both my 2 and 4 post lifts, with a '69/70 B body on them and I'm 5' 10'. Now put a '64 or '66 on them and I have to lock it in 6" lower and you start to hunch, but it's better than laying on your back any day of the week!
beerestoration2015 129.JPG

I have 10' 3" floor to ceiling and can stand up just fine under both my 2 and 4 post lifts, with a '69/70 B body on them and I'm 5' 10'. Now put a '64 or '66 on them and I have to lock it in 6" lower and you start to hunch, but it's better than laying on your back any day of the week!
View attachment 1437415

What lift is that in the pic Dad? I'm 6' and my shop ceiling is 10'1". Hate laying on my back but don't like killing a bay for a lift either

Auto Transport Service
Back